Unrated AvP

Started by stickaround, Mar 08, 2007, 10:12:22 PM

Author
Unrated AvP (Read 4,593 times)

stickaround

stickaround

One thing i can't understand with AvP. You can understand why fox made it PG13 but why not film it Unrated, cut it for the theatrical release and then reinsate the original footage (like dawn of the dead) as opposed to adding CG blood, if you know you'll release an unrated version anyway ??

SM

SM

Response to fan whinging about the complete and utter lack of blood in a film that features two species whose previous films are awash with the stuff.  And a chance to to milk them with yet another version of the film.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when Sebastian's burster popped out completely clean.

stickaround

stickaround

Studios are much more calculating than doing anything to respond to fans criticism, i'm sure they always planned to have an unrated version, just odd they didn't fim it that way ? To be honest, as the film was the preds against aliens the lack of human blood didn't overly bother me. And most films milk the fans for all they're worth, how many times has LOTR been released ??

SM

SM

Quotei'm sure they always planned to have an unrated version, just odd they didn't fim it that way ?

Which would indicate they DIDN'T plan an unrated version.  Anderson even scripted Rousseau's death talking about PG-13 friendly blood.

The lack of blood was utterly stupid considering the source material, but sensible from a business perspective.  More blood = lower audience numbers.

QuoteAnd most films milk the fans for all they're worth, how many times has LOTR been released ??

The difference with LOTR is that when they announced the DVDs they said there was going to be a theatrical cut available, and later on an extended cut would be released.  So I waited for the extended cut (and I believe special box sets with figurines came out at the same as the extended cuts).  Many studios don't announce that from the outset.  They release a theatrical version - then a special edition later on, encouraging fans to shell out again for a few more bits and pieces.  Case in point with AvP.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when Sebastian's burster popped out completely clean.

I thought no one was suppose to care....until Scar kills the chestburster then everyone claps.

The difference with LOTR is that when they announced the DVDs they said there was going to be a theatrical cut available, and later on an extended cut would be released.

one other difference is the extended cut had about a 40 mins of scenes, while Unrated had a mere 8(not really worth a buy), though it's the prefer buy if you don't own the movie.

SM

SM

Quoteuntil Scar kills the chestburster then everyone claps.

Boy am I glad I didn't watch AvP in a theatre.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

Boy am I glad I didn't watch AvP in a theatre.

why you actually connected with Sebastian ? my fault actually everyone laugh at the chestburster dying at the hands of Scar.

SM

SM

Nah, nowt to do with Sebastian.  Just that I would've screamed at mindlessly stupid scenes like that.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

the one line that makes me want to jump off a cliff is Sebastians "Don't worry I'll get us MORE money." - :P

when did you see AVP ?

SM

SM

When a mate of mine sent me a erm, 'less than official' version on video.  Since watched it a couple of times on DVD.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

what was your take on it ?

pros and cons ?

SM

SM

At the risk of enduring another round of whining and moaning from certain quarters...

Pros - It looked good.  Nice lighting, good set design, good special/ creature effects.

Cons - Pretty much everything else.  No tension, no character development (Weyland, Miller and Verheiden all had potential - Lex and Sebastian were dull), continuity and plot glitches, etc.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

lol, well now we all have opinions on the film, and we're not bashing it by being honest on what could have been done better.  ::)

Pros- the film did look very nice, set, creatures, visual effects, and action was good. had a promising plot. 

Cons- there wasn't a chararcter you could root for other then the Preds or Aliens, dialouge could have been better, it felt rushed.

IMO it's not a bad film it just falls short of the expectations we all had for it. now for the 8 mins. added to the unrated edition, I hardly notice them at all, though the special features on the dvd were pretty intresting.

Newsfop

Newsfop

The line that bugs me is Miller's alliteration.

"A Power Plant for this Pyramid firing up. Preparing!"

Gah! Everytime I hear that, I cycle it in my head for a day and a half.  >:(

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

too manys p's in one sentence.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed