Budget ??

Started by beeko, Mar 07, 2007, 02:58:15 AM

Author
Budget ?? (Read 22,286 times)

SM

SM

Yeah that DOA flick was all class...  :-X

In fact based on EH I don't think he's a terrible director really - not great but not terrible.  Just build an electrified barbed wire fence around his word processor.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

^ betcha jamie pressley signs on for a sequel....   ::)

SM

SM

They were making a big deal about how local girl Holly Valance was making it in big budget Hollywood flicks - never mind the fact that it was shite.

StealthHunter

StealthHunter

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Mar 08, 2007, 02:21:51 AM
For what it's worth, Peter Briggs had this to say on the subject of AvP's budget:

QuoteI actually can't bring myself to listen to the commentary on "A vs P", but I'll tell you this: Fox said the budget was 60 million. It wasn't. The budget was 38 million. Anderson got the job on the basis of bringing in a balance sheet to prove he could do the movie for that amount. Say what you will about him as a writer/director (and I have no respect for him on the former, and little on the latter), but the guy is extremely business-savvy from a production standpoint.

I really don't think Briggs has any place in criticizing Anderson's scriptwriting skills. Not to say Anderson is a good screenwriter, but I wouldn't exactly describe Briggs as talented either. Every single treatment and/or script he's submitted for films in the past have been rejected(just take a look at his IMDB profile), including: Freddy vs. Jason, Escape from L.A.(which i hear was absolutely awful), Spider-Man, X-Men, and the work he did on Hellboy was almost completely rewritten by Guillermo del Toro.

The only thing I genuinely liked about his AVP screenplay was the prologue, everything after that was pretty much a dull subpar rip-off of Randey Stradley's graphic novel.

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: SM on Mar 07, 2007, 10:22:45 PM
QuotePlus Henriksen would have cost quite a bit and the Queen.

Henriksen isn't exactly a-list.  Or even b-list.  Suspect the Queen might've cost more than Lance.

Henriksen would have cost the most out of all the actors, at least. I mean, if you've listened to the DVD commentary, why would Lance be so over the top in love with AvP and what Paul Anderson did? He did it for the money.

SM

SM

Lance makes quite a big deal out of how the film looks more than anything else, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who'd disagree with that.  Even the most ardent detractors still generally concede that it's a visually interesting film.

Of course Lance did it for the money.  It was a job.  And as I said, he's not really high profile outside of genre films, so he would've been stupid to turn it down.

uhhhhh

uhhhhh

Well said.

The movie is interesting visually, I think everyone can agree on that for sure.

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

Quote from: Darkness on Mar 08, 2007, 05:00:39 PM
Quote from: SM on Mar 07, 2007, 10:22:45 PM
QuotePlus Henriksen would have cost quite a bit and the Queen.

Henriksen isn't exactly a-list.  Or even b-list.  Suspect the Queen might've cost more than Lance.

Henriksen would have cost the most out of all the actors, at least. I mean, if you've listened to the DVD commentary, why would Lance be so over the top in love with AvP and what Paul Anderson did? He did it for the money.

Maybe. Even after in a film in an interview about his pottery, he was really bigging up his character in AvP. He might just really enjoy it.

Darkness

Darkness

Well, he said this at some convention last year:

QuoteWhen a buff asks about negative reaction to the disappointing ALIEN VS. PREDATOR, he laughs and replies, You know, of course, that I had nothing to do with any of this, right? I'm just a guy who takes a job, and some movies are alimony films and others ones are like, big money??

Sorta proves my point.

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

I know. I remember it. But what I said also proves my point.  :P

Meathead320

Meathead320

ADI is doing the effects for AVP2, and they may still have a lot of the Props that were used for AVP functional. They could be stored in a Wherehouse.

At least the molds for the Aliens. They could use the old molds, and make some minor changes, without having to re-do the whole things.

Take the dome off the head, which may just simply un-clip any how for example.

The Animatronic Queen did have a non-battle damaged head as well, so IF there is a Queen in the movie, even just for one small scene, they could just use the Prop that was used in AVP.

Heck, they may even get away with using the 1/3rd scale Queen if she never gets a chance to leave the nest and gets blown up beforehand. They could easily do this as long as there are no humans, or anything else in the scene with her to give away the 1/3rd scale.

We would still have a lot of battles in the Town with Adult Aliens, including the showdown with the PredAlien.

The Pred costume may have to be re-made as it is not going to be overly muscular like in the first one, but they may have some reference material from previous films to cast from. Either way this should not cost too much. The could probably alter existing equipment to fit it, and customize it, and change colors with a new paint job etc... none of which should run too much cash.

The PredAlien would be the only new creature that HAS built from scratch. I think it should be bigger than a human-bred Alien, but still smaller than the Queen, so the PredAlien will not have to be gigantic. I was thinking about 10ft tall when standing errect, whereas the Queen is 16ft when hunched over like a T-Rex.

The Pred-Alien may be less expensive to build from scratch than would be a new Queen.

So there you go with the effects.

New Pred bodysuit.

Build the Predalien.

Everything else can be slightly altered pieces from existing Props.

I think those methods may be in use to save money.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong and this would in fact cost more.

superunknown

superunknown

Is it true that AvP 2's budget is only 25 million? 

If the story, characters, and acting are all crap, then a movie like this can always fall back on good SFX and fight scenes.  Now it looks like it won't even have THAT.

There's almost no incentive for me to see this now.  It's obvious that Fox just doesn't care.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: superunknown on Jun 05, 2007, 09:41:28 PM
Is it true that AvP 2's budget is only 25 million? 

If the story, characters, and acting are all crap, then a movie like this can always fall back on good SFX and fight scenes.  Now it looks like it won't even have THAT.

There's almost no incentive for me to see this now.  It's obvious that Fox just doesn't care.
We dont know avp2s budget, and we dont know if the acting is crap, hell, we dont know anything, but i suggest you wait for the trailer or you see the movie in december. ;)

SiL

SiL

What the ...

Low budget doesn't mean bad, m'kay? Equilibrium was done for 20 million and has some of the coolest fights I've ever seen. Admittedly they're not really the same as what you'd expect for AvP, but still. Low budget doesn't mean crap effects or fights, or anything like that.

fluxcap

fluxcap

Fox green lighting the flick with such a low budget (for a mainstream picture) tells me that Fox is testing the waters with this flick. If this movie flops, Fox won't make another Alien/Predator movie for along time. If it does well, I expect another AVP or an equally low budgeted sequel in either franchise.

EDIT: Just read SiL's post, its true. Even though the flick is in the low budget range, a lot of money could be devoted to just the effects/costume work/fight scenes opposed to high profile actors, complicated set construction, and other movie daring-do. Since the Strause Bros. said that the majority of the film is shot on location, that means they had to devote only a small portion of the budget to set construction. Unlike the first AVP which had a lot of set construction.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed