Aliens cannon fodder?

Started by Eidotemit, Mar 06, 2007, 11:01:56 PM

Author
Aliens cannon fodder? (Read 5,729 times)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I have to wonder why people think a creature like the Alien would suffer any obvious external damage, after being thrown against a wall, considering they can take multiple handgun shots and not care about it.

They're naturally armoured. Predators aren't, other than what they happen to wear.

We never saw whether Predators can be thrown against a wall and survive it, either. Perhaps they could do that. I don't see why people are yelling 'unfair', here.

Remember, Predators breed Aliens in very controlled situations, as the ultimate challenge (and one which revolves around the moment they get access to ranged weapons, too), for a reason. It's because they're tough. It's because they're hard.

Make them easy to kill and the Predator has no viable threat or danger to it. Every time you see an Alien, you'll just think, "Oh, well, this should be easy. Next scene, please."

Docta Jekyll

Docta Jekyll

I just think a cracked dome on grid after all of that slamming and beating shouldn't have been out of the question.

but yeah, I dont get why people are saying things like 'the predator had better not take out a lot of aliens, or I'll be dissapointed' because they are setting themselves up for dissapointment, they know that there is only one predator throughout the main part of the film, and they know that there are a lot more then 3 aliens, and they know there is some sort of battle in a parking lot, a big battle of a rooftop, and 'battles' where the predator uses no weapons, so unless every fight has the alien or predator retreating(that would get old) you have got to expect the predator to be taking out a fair number of aliens.

It may not sound fair, but they are probably going to show the predalien taking out at least a couple of predator's at the beginning of the film, so thats that.

the fanboys, or fans specifically for either species, are just going to have to sit through the parts where their favorite monster gets killed, thats just how its gonna be, I myself will sit back and watch the chaos, because they both rock

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Docta Jekyll on Jul 23, 2007, 08:04:40 PM
but yeah, I dont get why people are saying things like 'the predator had better not take out a lot of aliens, or I'll be dissapointed' because they are setting themselves up for dissapointment, they know that there is only one predator throughout the main part of the film, and they know that there are a lot more then 3 aliens, and they know there is some sort of battle in a parking lot, a big battle of a rooftop, and 'battles' where the predator uses no weapons, so unless every fight has the alien or predator retreating(that would get old) you have got to expect the predator to be taking out a fair number of aliens.

There's a problem with it doing such a thing.

Logically, we know that in all their experience, they have discovered the Alien to be the biggest challenge in existence (hence, why the legends point to the rite of passage always revolving around the same creature and their still coming to our world to undertake it, even many thousands of years after they began).

If a single Predator can just go through Aliens without a problem, then it just immediately contradicts all of that. Why do they consider them a challenge if they're not... A challenge? :) Just because it might have killed one or several once, does not mean to say it would be easier to do so another time.

Now, if it's using ranged weapons, that's fine. Aliens don't have those. But if he's just holding them at bay with a hand, acting like he's yawning, then it only ends up devalueing the Predators. If it's doing something like purely using wrist blades and killing off dozens of them without a care, it's going to make a mockery of the whole point of that initial challenge they have to pass through.

I could probably kill a lion, if I'm lucky. That doesn't mean to say I'll stand a good chance of doing so a second time. It'll be just as risky a proposition for me to take up.

Remember, Aliens have genetic memories. They're born combat veterans. They aren't inexperienced idiots. They're fallable, yes, but Predators are just as guilty of that, if not potentially more so (Ash's speech drives the point home about Aliens not suffering from ego).

Heck, a lot of the Predator's advantage is in remaining invisible. Against Aliens, it doesn't have that. But this sort of thing, I would think, is why we have had the allusions to it having "new tools" and we'll probably see more than a few of these on screen.

So long as the Predator is shown to treat Aliens with the respect such a threat should be treated with, it'll be fine. If you're going up against a real challenge (especially several of them), then you need to be efficient, calculating and extremely professional.

Think of the 'Splinter Cell' games. :) Sam Fisher's damn good, because he realises the value of picking targets of opportunity. That's precisely what Predators are shown as doing. Go in a room, with all guns blazing and Fisher tends to be torn apart. Silently neutralise each successive target at the right moment, without even being seen... That's what it's about.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Predator just narrowly avoiding being sliced apart on this rooftop, taking injuries, but precisely spearing through exposed kneecaps and so on: Knowing exactly when and where to hit the opponent, weakening them so they can't give chase too easily, then decapitating them. More than likely, it's going to use ranged weapons, wherever possible. If it's experienced, then it will realise the value of that.

This is meant to be a skilled, professional hunter, not a strutting Hulkamaniac. :)

Once two or three of them gang up on it, it'll know the value of getting out of there. Why? Because it's not stupid. Just like when Mac used the minigun, they know when to make a retreat and dispatch that same prey at a later time.

In the original comic, there was even a scene which illustrated this. The female character saw one unintentionally rescuing her, diving into the fray and using absolute and complete skill and control, virtually matching the Aliens, move for move. But it just to make a single mistake, then they took control. It faced them at close range, thinking it would be heroic, but did so against five or so. One mistake is fatal when going up against Aliens. It paid the price and was hauled away to the hive.

In my view, we'll be seeing the Predator killing mostly humans. It might even use the Aliens to herd humans into somewhere, using humans as a distraction, then taking whatever trophies it can and killing them, too.

There are weaknesses in Aliens which only a creature such as a Predator is capable of exploiting, but... They are few and far between and it won't be easy.

If we see it finding them easy, then the entire point of matching these creatures up is null and void. Both need to find the event a real and genuine challenge.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Docta Jekyll on Jul 23, 2007, 08:04:40 PM
I just think a cracked dome on grid after all of that slamming and beating shouldn't have been out of the question.

Remember what 'Alien Resurrection' taught us... They gave human technology, even hundreds of years into the future, "new alloys". :)

That doesn't mean to say they're metal. It could just be a very complex (or simple) molecule structure, potentially making it harder than something like steel. It might be easier to dent them than crack the stuff.

Highland

Highland

It doesnt matter which way you twist it xeno, the aliens are gona go down, wether the pred kills 2 or 12. I dont like the De-value argument, its used too often when speaking about the battles. like I always quote, a lion is stronger, quicker, bigger and more dangerous than a man. An experianced man can kill 20 lions using the right techniques and his wisdom.

Same applies for the predators. They are hunters, thats what they do, they hunt. 2 on one in a tight spot and the pred is toast. Its his job not to get into that situation. If he's a wise and experianced pred, he wont.

The bros are not stupid, there not going to risk there asses to the bigger fan base, but in a realistic Alien vs predator, the pred will always take out more aliens than the other way about.

SMJ

SMJ

Highland is right. I love both creatures, but anyone who deny's what he just said, or argues against it, is in serious denial.

Highland

Highland

just give it 10 minutes SMJ, they'll be here, a whole load of them, it'll be like me and you (the preds) vs 10 of them (the aliens)  :P :D

We should film it and call it AVP3 -Net battles, I'm sure we can have the trailer out before they do  :P

SMJ

SMJ

Oh man you just cracked me up... ;D
But once again, your right!!! *starts equipping weapons*

darkbladepred

darkbladepred

Quote from: highlandpred on Jul 23, 2007, 09:33:52 PM
We should film it and call it AVP3 -Net battles, I'm sure we can have the trailer out before they do  :P

"in a world where forums are no longer safe... several fanboys will rage the ultimate battle... can they survive twelve pages of alien fans throwing evidence at them??? Can they make that evidence seem like crap on a stick when compared to logic??? Can it be done? Coming summer 2007... AVP3: net battles...)

SMJ

SMJ

I just laughed so hard my eyes are waterin  ;D  ....oh man....whew...I'll co-star  ;)

Highland

Highland

Quote from: darkbladepred on Jul 23, 2007, 09:44:40 PM
Quote from: highlandpred on Jul 23, 2007, 09:33:52 PM

"in a world where forums are no longer safe... several fanboys will rage the ultimate battle... can they survive twelve pages of alien fans throwing evidence at them??? Can they make that evidence seem like crap on a stick when compared to logic??? Can it be done? Coming summer 2007... AVP3: net battles...)

We can cut to shots of the battery's sliding into the PC mouse, with shotgun noises.

SMJ

SMJ

Throw in a few shots of actual alien and predator sitting at their computers all pissed off and typing  ;)

Docta Jekyll

Docta Jekyll

hey xeno, I would like to point out that the reason the predator's keep using the aliens as a right of passage isn't solely because they are dangerous like you said, but moreso, they send in teenaged predators, inexperianced warriors, who have never battled aliens before, to fight aliens, THAT is the main reason its a challenge, and keeps getting used as a right of passage.

The aliens in AVP wre such an overwhelming challgeng that only one)scar) of them could handle because the predators hadn't ever faced aliens before, as you said, aliens are born fighters,viscious from birth, ready to battle as soon as they are fully grown. Predators are not, teenaged, inexperianced predators that have never faced aliens before are not always fully capable, and sometimes very incapable, to hold their own against aliens for the first time.

The Predator in Aliens vs Predator has been confirmed to be a very experianced and skilled warrior who has faced aliens before, aliens can still be a challenge, but if they are too much of a challenge for an expert warrior predator, I think that would be devalueing the predators.

superunknown

superunknown

Quote from: highlandpred on Jul 23, 2007, 09:21:25 PM
It doesnt matter which way you twist it xeno, the aliens are gona go down, wether the pred kills 2 or 12. I dont like the De-value argument, its used too often when speaking about the battles. like I always quote, a lion is stronger, quicker, bigger and more dangerous than a man. An experianced man can kill 20 lions using the right techniques and his wisdom.

Same applies for the predators. They are hunters, thats what they do, they hunt. 2 on one in a tight spot and the pred is toast. Its his job not to get into that situation. If he's a wise and experianced pred, he wont.

The bros are not stupid, there not going to risk there asses to the bigger fan base, but in a realistic Alien vs predator, the pred will always take out more aliens than the other way about.

Said like a true fanboy. 

A realistic AvP has one Alien equal to one Predator.  Period.  I know that'll never happen though, seeing as how obsessive Preddy fans get.

In a melee fight, the victor would always be the Alien.  At range, the victor would always be the Predator. 

That's how they balance out.

Superior technology, as proven in Aliens, does necessarily work against Xenomorphs.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: superunknown on Jul 23, 2007, 10:45:12 PM
Quote from: highlandpred on Jul 23, 2007, 09:21:25 PM

Said like a true fanboy. 

A realistic AvP has one Alien equal to one Predator.  Period.  I know that'll never happen though, seeing as how obsessive Preddy fans get.

In a melee fight, the victor would always be the Alien.  At range, the victor would always be the Predator. 

That's how they balance out.

Superior technology, as proven in Aliens, does necessarily work against Xenomorphs.

tosh, I'm just as much an alien fan as predator. So on your logic 100 predators fully armed vs 100  aliens and its a Tie? so what they both stab each other at the last moment and its a draw?

Everything everwhere suggests predators come out on top in the long run, sure aliens can take preds no problem, and vice versa, but not the preds that stay back and out smart.

I'm not even gona go there on the technology, Vaz killed one with a handgun and a doc martin. Read my post again, its very fair on both.

Also on a side note, if the creatures are to be treated equal, all games, comics, storys and most importantly films, would see an equal number vs an equal number. Thats never the case, shown yet again in this one AVP2 = 1 pred, lots of aliens

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed