Reproduction Method Official

Started by SuicideDoors, Oct 26, 2007, 08:01:45 AM

Do you like the new addition to the lifecycle?

Love it!
80 (21.6%)
Pretty Cool
135 (36.5%)
I expected more
31 (8.4%)
Hate it
40 (10.8%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R
30 (8.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.
54 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author
Reproduction Method Official (Read 194,834 times)

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 17, 2008, 02:28:09 AM
The sentry gun sequence is probably the most damaging inclusion into the alien series.  Because even though humans have rushed human gun emplacements since the civil war in the attempt to "overrun" them, nobody ever thinks of it as a human tactic.  It's just a tactic ants use to overrun other bugs on a sugar cube.

It becomes instinctual and mindless over tactical.

And thus the comics, and guys like the Strause brothers, and fans that think like them take things like the sentry gun scene and use it to characterize the Alien.

Even Cameron wanted them to be smart.  Check the cutting of the power (with commentary).  Watch the Aliens try to slide fingers in and pick the lock when the marines flee into the airducts.

Yet he damaged the perception of them by adding those guns because every writer, director, fanboy impressed with Aliens uses "their just bugs," to justify their stories.

Sad since the very definition of the title character is suppossed to suggest foreigness or unfamiliarity.

I don't blame Cameron for Aliens.  I enjoy the theatrical version of the film immensely, and wouldn't mind the SE if it wasn't for the inclusion of the new scenes shatters the pacing.  But I'll always be semi annoyed that he opened the door and started the, "Aliens are dumbazz bugs lolz," movement by including those sequences.

People don't even look at the facts concerning the story anymore.  You go to imdb and the marines wasted hundreds maybe thousands of Aliens because they are mindless creatures that need to be squashed and are only dangerous when you don't have a weapon.  Despite the fact that the marines didn't have that much ammo, and even AFTER the sentry gun scene and the ops battle there are still enough left to make Ripleys motion tracker go haywire.

I don't think Cameron knew the sentry gun scene would have its own mini legacy.  Or he wouldn't have included it.  I don't think Cameron wanted the Aliens to be ants.  I think he wanted them to be the Viet Cong, or the Afgani forces that beat off the U.S. and Russia respectively.

Quoteants

StarLog's quotes say that's exactly what he wanted: Giant Space Ants.

SiL

SiL

Even then, giant space ants would be pretty good. If people would just read up on ants they'd see some incredibly intelligent and complex structures, but noo...

Chocolate man!

Chocolate man!

The point still stands that Alien DC was just Fox mikling the money cow, where as Aliens SE is actually the proper version of ALiens.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

You can argue semantics all you want, doesn't change anything.

If you use a film that was not the original release, then others can use a re-released film as a rebuttal.

You can't have it both ways, y'know.

Chocolate man!

Chocolate man!

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Apr 17, 2008, 06:07:18 AM
You can argue semantics all you want, doesn't change anything.

If you use a film that was not the original release, then others can use a re-released film as a rebuttal.

You can't have it both ways, y'know.

But I didn't, someone else did, and I joined in with the argument, but you've got to understand, I'm on my own side, not the other guy's.

Flaming Firefox

Flaming Firefox

The sentry gun sequence is probably the most damaging inclusion into the alien series.  Because even though humans have rushed human gun emplacements since the civil war in the attempt to "overrun" them, nobody ever thinks of it as a human tactic.  It's just a tactic ants use to overrun other bugs on a sugar cube.

And thus the comics, and guys like the Strause brothers, and fans that think like them take things like the sentry gun scene and use it to characterize the Alien.

Even Cameron wanted them to be smart.  Check the cutting of the power (with commentary).  Watch the Aliens try to slide fingers in and pick the lock when the marines flee into the airducts.

Yet he damaged the perception of them by adding those guns because every writer, director, fanboy impressed with Aliens uses "their just bugs," to justify their stories.

Sad since the very definition of the title character is suppossed to suggest foreigness or unfamiliarity.

I don't blame Cameron for Aliens.  I enjoy the theatrical version of the film immensely, and wouldn't mind the SE if it wasn't for the inclusion of the new scenes shatters the pacing.  But I'll always be semi annoyed that he opened the door and started the, "Aliens are dumbazz bugs lolz," movement by including those sequences.

People don't even look at the facts concerning the story anymore.  You go to imdb and the marines wasted hundreds maybe thousands of Aliens because they are mindless creatures that need to be squashed and are only dangerous when you don't have a weapon.  Despite the fact that the marines didn't have that much ammo, and even AFTER the sentry gun scene and the ops battle there are still enough left to make Ripleys motion tracker go haywire.

I don't think Cameron knew the sentry gun scene would have its own mini legacy.  Or he wouldn't have included it.  I don't think Cameron wanted the Aliens to be ants.  I think he wanted them to be the Viet Cong, or the Afgani forces that beat off the U.S. and Russia respectively.

The sentry gun scene is a perfect example of how people take things out of context. You pointed out yourself that humans have been using the same tactic the Aliens did through centuries of warfare. You can see that same tactic used up into modern times. It is a tactic that does incur heavy losses to the attackers, but it has been proven effective in many circumstances so I don't see that it is a bug-like-dumb creature tactic. Trying to say that Aliens are similar to Ants and therefore are dumb is a stupid argument as well. Ants are some of the most well organized and formidable species on the planet. They can kill/incapacitate creatures many times their size. Insects have been thriving on the planet far longer than we have, we need to show them some respect. If the planet had ants that were the size of humans they would probably conquer everything in a very short order.

On the Cameron Aliens SE. I remember him saying that he was not in favor of using the term "director's cut" because it implied that the version that went to theater's was not the one the director originally wanted. He went on to say that he only cut the movie down because at the time longer movies weren't favored by the studio, so they ultimately cut that stuff at to appease Fox.  So I would consider the sentry-gun scene every bit as canon as the theatrical version.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Xhan on Apr 17, 2008, 05:16:53 AM
The sentry gun sequence is probably the most damaging inclusion into the alien series.  Because even though humans have rushed human gun emplacements since the civil war in the attempt to "overrun" them, nobody ever thinks of it as a human tactic.  It's just a tactic ants use to overrun other bugs on a sugar cube.

Even Cameron wanted them to be smart.  Check the cutting of the power (with commentary).  Watch the Aliens try to slide fingers in and pick the lock when the marines flee into the airducts.

I don't blame Cameron for Aliens.  I enjoy the theatrical version of the film immensely, and wouldn't mind the SE if it wasn't for the inclusion of the new scenes shatters the pacing.  But I'll always be semi annoyed that he opened the door and started the, "Aliens are dumbazz bugs lolz," movement by including those sequences.

People don't even look at the facts concerning the story anymore.  You go to imdb and the marines wasted hundreds maybe thousands of Aliens because they are mindless creatures that need to be squashed and are only dangerous when you don't have a weapon.  Despite the fact that the marines didn't have that much ammo, and even AFTER the sentry gun scene and the ops battle there are still enough left to make Ripleys motion tracker go haywire.

I don't think Cameron knew the sentry gun scene would have its own mini legacy.  Or he wouldn't have included it.  I don't think Cameron wanted the Aliens to be ants.  I think he wanted them to be the Viet Cong, or the Afgani forces that beat off the U.S. and Russia respectively.

Quoteants

StarLog's quotes say that's exactly what he wanted: Giant Space Ants.

Then he's changed his tune between then and whenever he did the commentary for the quad.

Xhan

Xhan

Entirely possible.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Did anybody ever do a transcript of the interview?  I remember him talking about the physical aspects being very bug like, but I don't remember reading about the mentality.

Of course, starlog Aliens issue runs over 200 dollars, so I never found the issue that important to buy it.

There is a "Quinn" Aliens magazine out there for much cheaper, is it any good?

SM

SM

Quinn?  I've got the Official Aliens Movie Magazine at home.  Is that it?

Milan

Milan

LOL

I've had some fun reading this past pages in this topic,
but please, stop calling the alien dumb animals,
that only would only upset alien fans and me being an animal able to read and act without useing my instinct all of the time.
Humans are animals to, the only difference is that we are destructive to our enviroment in numerous ways.

However, I'm a Predator fan boy more than an Alien fan boy, and what I have learned is that the Alien as a creature is the supreme target for the predator, the alfa prey.
And my views on the predator is that they are a race of superior hunters, they hunt to prove themselfs, they hunt for sport, they hunt as a lifestyle.
And what does that place the alien.
Would the ultimate hunter choose a dumb animal as it's most valued prey...
then the predator ain't that special at all.

The reproduction method in avp-r ain't one that I favor, it doesn't feel right to me.
I feel like they went over the top with that one and really ain't the predalien more of a face hugger than a Queen.
The Queen lays eggs containing face huggers, the face hugger lays embryos that becomes "baby" aliens...
This idea with chets reproduction ain't nothing more than a failed attemt to rip off spieces 2.
And Patric doesn't like what his cousin Chet has been doing behind his back...

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: SM on Apr 17, 2008, 11:39:48 PM
Quinn?  I've got the Official Aliens Movie Magazine at home.  Is that it?

Yeah.  I think Quinni is the publisher or something.  Thats what its listed under at mycomicshop.

Any good?

SM

SM

Yeah.

My copy is missing the centre pages - they fell out.  In fact the thing it falling apart after leafing through it a zillion times at high school back in the 1980s.  It was the only place that had a Burke cocoon pic for ages.

Must have a flick through it again sometime (it's plastic bagged now thankfully).

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

mycomicshop had two for semi cheap.  I've gotten stuff from them before, and the condition is generally spot on how they describe it.'

Might grab it on payday.

SM

SM

What are they asking?

And if you do snag one, scan the four centre pages for me will ya?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed