Dune Remake

Started by Gates, Oct 17, 2007, 12:50:34 AM

Author
Dune Remake (Read 159,250 times)

Gates

Gates

I agree with the author of the article...this book needs to be brought forth to the big screen the proper way...and technologically speaking, we now have the capabilities to pull it off...

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=6215&count=0

But I'm not so sure about Peter Berg directing...has anyone seen The Kingdom? How was it?

SM

SM

It's had a film and a tv series.  Do we need another version?  I liked the book and didn't mind the Lynch film.

But is it too dense for a single film?

Fitzley

Fitzley

I think so. It is something that definitely needs an epic treatment. I don't think it is something you can pull off in a 2 hour film. I didn't mind the Lynch film or the Sci-Fi channel's mini-series...they both had their strengths, but were also a bit off as well.

fluxcap

fluxcap

Dune is one of those books, its either done right, or else don't bother. If they do another, I wouldn't mind, its not like there exists a definitive adaptation of the book.

EEV2650

EEV2650

I absoloutely hated the lynch version. What was he thinking when he made the "weirding module guns". I think the best part of the film was sting as feyd. I loved the mini-series dune and children of dune. I think alec newman was awesome as paul atreides. I'm actually reading sandworms of dune as i type this. I think sci-fi was on the right track when they made a 6 hour mini-series for each book. The books have way to much content to put into one movie. And if it was successful you'd have to try and make the other installments (aka. god emperor of dune and heretics of dune) and with how weird those books are i think you would lose a mainstream audience.

Gates

Gates

I didn't even bother watching the SciFi mini series...was it any good?

Quote from: EEV2650 on Oct 17, 2007, 06:07:50 AM
I think the best part of the film was sting as feyd. [...]

You're damn right... :D

Fitzley

Fitzley

Quote from: Gates on Oct 17, 2007, 09:51:57 AM
I didn't even bother watching the SciFi mini series...was it any good?

I liked it...that might not help you much.  ;)

The special effects, costumes, and settings are a little dodgy. But overall, it is very true to the book, leaving out some minor things and taking some minor liberties. I think the way Paul Atreides was portrayed at first was a bit off, but later in the series and later with the Children of Dune mini-series it is spot on.

You can get the mini-series for less than $10 now, so definitely worth checking out. Sci-fi channel's Children of Dune mini-series was superior and much improved on their efforts with Dune...so that is also worth checking out.

Gates

Gates

Yeah okay...you closed me...I'll be ordering that as well... ;D

Fitzley

Fitzley

Quote from: Gates on Oct 17, 2007, 08:46:09 PM
Yeah okay...you closed me...I'll be ordering that as well... ;D

Well, hope you like it and we I don't lead you astray...feel free to send me an angry PM if you don't. ;D

EEV2650

EEV2650

Yeah, i know you can get the "dune: special edition" for $10 (i'm talking about the mini-series of course). I'm not sure about children of dune. But your right about the special effects and all. It was made by sci-fi channel so it's not like they had tons of money to put into special effects. What they did put their money into was good actors so that the movie would sell the message and spirit of the books to an audience. I thought Ian McNeice was perfect as vladimir harkonnen. I know in children of dune they had to recast the roles of lady jessica, duncan idhao, stilgar. I preferred dune's lady jessica over the "borg queen" lady jessica of children of dune, I liked children of dune's duncan idaho, and dune's stilgar over the children of dune stilgar (i hope everyone's still with me :))
Gates, when you get those dvd's let me know what you think.

Cromartie

Cromartie

is Agamemnon in it? i wanna see the Cymek Sex scene!

EEV2650

EEV2650

well he wouldnt be since this is the dune series and not the legend of dune series. But your right i think it would be cool to see the cymek's. Agamennon was a bad-ass and the original atreides.

Cromartie

Cromartie

yeah Juno sends shivers up my DECEE!

Huol

Huol

Quote from: fluxcap on Oct 17, 2007, 03:00:55 AM
Dune is one of those books, its either done right, or else don't bother. If they do another, I wouldn't mind, its not like there exists a definitive adaptation of the book.
Pretty much like Pratchett...

Private Hudson

Private Hudson

Never read or seen anything called Dune. :-[

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed