Concerning Antarctica

Started by Newsfop, Feb 27, 2007, 04:15:01 PM

Author
Concerning Antarctica (Read 10,377 times)

Hankerson

Hankerson

I didn't realize that Bouvetoya was a real island, though I had some suspicions. Even if they made some mistakes with the maps, I think it was a nice touch.

stickaround

stickaround

Yeah

Geting a bit too geeky looking for the exact coordinates of bouvet island !! Name me one movie that is 100% accurate ????

As for the thing remake, we will have to see, depends who's directing etc, no way it will be bettered though, CGI just isn't up to Rob Bottins work. Not seen the fog remake but apparently it's shocking with a capital S ! The remake of assault on precinct 13 was pretty good and the remake of dawn of the dead is one of my all time fav films and alot of fans didn't want that remade.

N.B. and the ending to cruises WotW was shocking !

SM

SM

QuoteGeting a bit too geeky looking for the exact coordinates of bouvet island !! Name me one movie that is 100% accurate

More fool Anderson for picking a location, then completely f**king up everything about said location.  Woulda settled for 10% accurate in this case.

stickaround

stickaround

My argumentative friend again !!

Still too geeky for me, why get so bothered about something that makes no difference to the film whatsoever ??

SM

SM

Paul Anderson's Number One Fan and AvP Defender Extraodinaire again!!

Your use of the word 'geeky' for others strikes me as ironic.

stickaround

stickaround

Round 2, haha !

I admit to being a geek, my gf thinks it's hilarious, i get excited b4 films (AvP, dawn of the dead, land of dead, rocky balboa), collect memorabilia, go to film fairs (met Robert Englund at the last one, top guy). Considering what i do for a living it seems out of character but hey

But looking up on a map to check to see if a location is correct, to me that is too geeky !

and lighten up a bit dude, you shouldn't be so serious (like my good friend dachande !) these forums are supposed to be fun too.

Dachande

Dachande

Well generally people would rather have a film be accurate rather than having things completely out of proportion. I havnt looked up any of this suff but if its true about showing them approaching something on the complete otherside of a continent then thats a serious problem. It would be like having a shot of a ship approaching the golden gate bridge only for people to say its in New York.

SM

SM

Quite.  It's simply sloppy film making.  These sorts of things are easily avoidable and frankly Anderson should know better - especially considering how picky fans of a well known franchise can be.  Why give them more things to pick apart?  The 'hunters moon' thing was unnecessary in AvP, but he shoehorned that in too, resplendent with the completely wrong date.

Quotethese forums are supposed to be fun too.

Then don't go round labelling people as 'geeky' as if you're not.

And we didn't need you to fess up to being a geek - you joined an AvP forum just like the rest of us geeks.

Dachande

Dachande

I would of rather they had just said it was somewhere in Antartica instead of specifing a place there, that way you dont get picky fans like us, tearing it to shreds

SM

SM

Yeah he probably could've got away with that a bit better.  The more vague that harder to spot mistakes.  He could've even changed the dates so that it was in the middle of a southern winter for the dark feel he wanted, rather than spring, when there's more sunlight than not.  The inference (though never directly stated) in the film is that it's 24 hour darkness - Bouvet never gets 24 hour darkness, even during the middle of winter.

stickaround

stickaround

SM / Dachande (what a tag team!)

Is this antartica / bouvet island location really that important !! (i wasn't aware AvP was based on fact !) You 2 really should get past this hatred and picking of AvP. As i've said many times now ! why can't you take it for what it is and just move on (we get that you didn't like it!) and respect the fact that some fans actually enjoyed it (regardless of the bouvet island location !!!)

You could pick holes out of any of the alien and pred films, most films for that matter. Are x-men fans bothered that wolverine is 6 2" and not 5 4" (don't quote me on the exact heights before you start!!) i think not.

As for this geek thing, i'm a film geek plain and simple and my opinion of someone that looks on a map to check an island location (of a fictional film) or having conversations about the exact location is just too generally geeky for me and that's my opinion.

Newsfop

Newsfop

Geek schmeek. Anyone who can look at a globe can see just how off this is.  :P

SiL

SiL

Even with his fictional Bouvet he's still miles off ;D

Dachande

Dachande

What i love is how he completely ignores everything we say that destroys his argument, and then changes the subject, first of all he joins in the debate, but then when he's clearly losing the argument, he changes the subject and says what we were originally talking about isnt relevant...

stickaround

stickaround

Dachande

I've yet to lose an argument with you my friend ! I'm not disagreeing that the facts weren't correct, it's plain to see they weren't. My point is, so what ! It's a fictional film, if it was a documentary on antartica fair enough, but it wasn't ! So you haven't destroyed any argument as i wasn't even disagreeing with you !

What i've noticed on these forums, and this is why i decided to join in, is the fans who genuinely dislike / hate AvP and Paul Anderson can't seem to handle that some fans actually enjoyed the film. (Going off these forums and polls it seems about a 50/50 split)

Everyones opinion should be respected and i repect the fact that some of you guys obviously didn't like it ! I just don't see anything positive from this continual AvP bashing and picking at errors (which you could do on any film) What does it achieve ?? Constructive criticism is fine, i've said myself that i didn't like the pred faces, it should have been r rated etc (funny how you guys seem to forget this ?) This is the stuff the strause bros may look at and act upon.

I've never said that AvP is the best film i've ever seen or it matches up to Preds 1 & 2, Aliens etc and as above i've pointed out certain things i didn't like. (again, this always seems to be forgotten) But i enjoyed it all the same and was glad to see the franchises back. But i'm labelled Paul Andersons no1 fan and AvP's biggest defender etc purely for having a different point of view than yours.

So who is it that's ignoring the facts and looking at it from their point of view ???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed