Predator vision and their society

Started by Accaris, Oct 10, 2007, 01:47:15 PM

Author
Predator vision and their society (Read 2,802 times)

Accaris

Accaris

I must admit, I'm not incredibly knowledgable about Predator source material... I've seen both films and I read the comic versions of Concrete Jungle and Cold War, but that's about it. I always wondered about Pred vision, since there isn't much info about it.

If the Predators' real vision is a low-contrast, infrared spectrum (as in the movies,) how could they have possibly developed their civilization the way they did? Meticulous technological construction, differentiating between materials/substances/food sources, recording information in a complicated written language, differentiating between colors and contrasts for the purposes of creating art, etc. would be nearly impossible without the ability to see in the visible spectrum. In the movies and comics, it's at least hinted that Predators ceremonially value different colors, just like tribal human cultures (i.e. black meaning death, red meaning war, gold being an object of wealth, etc.) Should we assume that Predators do have the ability to see beyond infrared without their masks (which would be a total retcon?) How else could their society function?

Master

Master

Answer is quite simple: there is no answer for this questions, because in any of films about Preds are no information about it.

Accaris

Accaris

Quote from: Master on Oct 10, 2007, 02:02:30 PM
Answer is quite simple: there is no answer for this questions, because in any of films about Preds are no information about it.

What about the expanded universe?

Corporal Hicks

Only definate answer I've read was in Forever Midnight. They said that the Predators stole their technology from a race that landed on their homeworld and then enslaved a load of other races who built stuff for them.

In Concrete Jungle, I'm sure they hypothesized the technology was stolen too.

megachu17

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 10, 2007, 02:44:46 PM
Only definate answer I've read was in Forever Midnight. They said that the Predators stole their technology from a race that landed on their homeworld and then enslaved a load of other races who built stuff for them.

...wow, that degrading...the preds arnt even smart enough 2 come up with their own tech? in Forever Midnight did they conform that or did they just state it as a hypothesis?

Corporal Hicks

No. Blatantly said it. Me, I'd easily agree with the assumption.

megachu17

hm...it just dosnt seem lik it would be lik that, but if they did steal the tech at least we no there smart enough to reverse-engineer it since its obiviosuly been cusomized(the maskes, for instance, are maded for a pred...), so i guess even if they did steal there tech they are at least still smart enough to understand how it worked and custiomize the technology.

Porkus Maximus

With enough time you could probably train a monkey to use predator technology.  I'm pretty sure some elements of the EU basically retcon the movies and have the predators see in the same spectrum of light that we do, EG the Prey novel.

Since the first AVP movie has shown the predators basically enslaving the human race to build their ritual pyramids I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that they could have done this to another race to gain their technology.  The technology could have come from several subjugated races or maybe just one.  The only thing we can be positive about is that without EU retcon, it'd be impossible for the predators to develope any of their technology themselves.

megachu17

yea, a monkey could USE pred tech, but they couldnt hav stolen tech already cusomized for them, they hav 2 hav understood the tech at least at some level 2 customize them for themselves, plus, pred c in infrared correct? atleast in the movies. and i dont think the preds forced the humans to build there pyrimeds, they just taught the humans HOW to build the pyrimeds...(they could hav forced the humans 2 build the pyrimeds so thered be a place to breed aliens, but ppl still built pyrimed in other parts of the world that dont survie this perpose(egypt for instance))

PRAETORIAN MONSTER

PRAETORIAN MONSTER

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 10, 2007, 02:44:46 PM

exactly.  that's what i thought.  they enslaved them for thier religious and entertainment practices.   the race that they enslaved was forced to create more starships designed for use by the predators.     same with the other technologies(thier weapon and healing systems) for when they go on hunts.  the race they enslaved was aware of earth, it's coordinates and the life on earth and that knowledge was passed on to the preds.   they then took advantage of it, and for thousands of years have been visiting earth for hunts, rights of passage within thier societal structure.  the predator home planet, along with the other race's planet are both located in the milky way galaxy along with us.   

preds also hunt on other lifebearing planets in the galaxy too.

megachu17

but if they inslaved an alien race smarter than them to create new techs, y didnt the slave race just use som of the techs they created to rebel?

PRAETORIAN MONSTER

Quote from: megachu17 on Oct 10, 2007, 07:20:35 PM
but if they inslaved an alien race smarter than them to create new techs, y didnt the slave race just use som of the techs they created to rebel?

probably only a few ships landed to explore the pred planet, unknowing of the presence of these cunning creatures, lurking about.   easily overtaken, but not killed due to curiosity. 

but still, i think the predators have other masks(for tech) on thier homeworld and are able to see visible spectrum with them.    they are intelligent enough, imo, and have normal hands.   could go either way.

thier nails are a little long to do any soldering and microchip development though, lol.

Vemados

Vemados

Hey Accaris why does your description of normal Predator vision sound almost exactly like one of my posts? Anyway I think the Preds see like we do, and the infared vision in the first two movies are a sideaffect of wearing the mask for a while and that given enough time it would slowly return to the visible spectrum.

Munkeywrench

Quote from: Vemados on Oct 10, 2007, 11:24:29 PM
I think the Preds see like we do, and the infared vision in the first two movies are a sideaffect of wearing the mask for a while and that given enough time it would slowly return to the visible spectrum.

Yeah kind of like when our eyes adjust to darkness or light

Vemados

Vemados

Quote from: Miker25 on Oct 10, 2007, 11:35:26 PM
Quote from: Vemados on Oct 10, 2007, 11:24:29 PM
I think the Preds see like we do, and the infared vision in the first two movies are a sideaffect of wearing the mask for a while and that given enough time it would slowly return to the visible spectrum.

Yeah kind of like when our eyes adjust to darkness or light

Yeah, but more like when we look at a bright light and there's a colored spot on our vision for a while.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed