Dead Space

Started by fluxcap, Oct 10, 2007, 02:43:40 AM

Author
Dead Space (Read 91,579 times)

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 06, 2011, 11:20:57 PM
Quote from: AvatarIII on Apr 06, 2011, 09:45:36 AM
hell i completed DS the first time with just the plasma cutter, since there was a trophy for it, and i always had way too much ammo,

Opposite for me. I still found myself low on ammo even when using only the PC.

really? my the second half of the game, i don't think i ever had less than 100 shots in my safe, let alone on isaac himself

Keg

Keg

People forget to use the safe I think. If youve got no more inventory space, its worth movinga couple of inventory blocks of your ammo into the safe because you'll more than likely come across more but you cant pick it up if you havnt freed up space. This way you can build up alot of spare ammo.

Quote from: Keg on Apr 07, 2011, 08:55:31 AM
People forget to use the safe I think. If youve got no more inventory space, its worth movinga couple of inventory blocks of your ammo into the safe because you'll more than likely come across more but you cant pick it up if you havnt freed up space. This way you can build up alot of spare ammo.

how can people forget to use the safe? people are crazy!

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Is the ammo distribution different on hard?  I think the necros are probably worse, though this is my first playthrough.  It takes 4 shots, close range and good aim, 2 leg, 2 arm (or some variant) to kill a standard ripper with a plasma cutter, and the others are just insane, usually 7-10 unless you can dismember them.

I've only focused on 2 guns with the nodes, since so many options tend to leave me standing at the work bench for 30 minutes trying to decide what to upgrade.  This has helped, though.  I think you're right, I need to ditch 2 of the guns.  I was trying to have many options in case of a boss or necro that was only killed by a specific type of damage/weapon.

I've encountered that in other games and been screwed, lol.

with a fully upgraded plasma cutter i was killing basic necros (slashers/lurkers) with a single well aimed shot taking 2 arms on normal,

Keg

Keg

I made that mistake right up until my second playthrough of Dead Space 2. Believe it or not I always went for the legs first. Always. I just presumed slowing them down first was better but like you say if you can take out both arms in one shot which is easy to do with the weaker enemies, especially if you use stasis, they go down with one hit. I only go for the legs if theres a big group of them and I want to slow them down. Blindly firing and hoping for the best will get you absolutely nowhere in this game. Its basically like a refined version of trying to get zombie head splosions in Resident Evil games to save ammo.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: AvatarIII on Apr 07, 2011, 09:27:45 PM
with a fully upgraded plasma cutter i was killing basic necros (slashers/lurkers) with a single well aimed shot taking 2 arms on normal,

Yeah. Pick your shots and you'll be fine. But players have to remember to mix up use of stasis and telekinesis. Using the canisters is a great way to save ammo and stasis will allow you, in some cases, to just run through an area.

Quote from: Keg on Apr 07, 2011, 11:04:37 PM
I made that mistake right up until my second playthrough of Dead Space 2. Believe it or not I always went for the legs first. Always. I just presumed slowing them down first was better but like you say if you can take out both arms in one shot which is easy to do with the weaker enemies, especially if you use stasis, they go down with one hit. I only go for the legs if theres a big group of them and I want to slow them down. Blindly firing and hoping for the best will get you absolutely nowhere in this game. Its basically like a refined version of trying to get zombie head splosions in Resident Evil games to save ammo.

yeah i was making the same mistake for quite a long time too, but once i realised i only went for the legs like you say when there's big groups, or when they enemies are fast moving or appear close to you, you are better off stunning them with a leg hit to give yourself a split second more time, then taking the arms

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Hear that necros?  It's arm time.  I think that's funny because the damn game is so scary, players must naturally go for the legs to keep the psycho-disgusting enemies away from them.  I did!  I've tried the arms, but there always seems to be more than 1 and sometimes they drop right on top of you or sit up from the floor when you go by.

This is the only game where I don't think you can actually beat certain areas, you just have to slow them down and run, and I think that's awesome. 

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Quote from: RagingDragon on Apr 12, 2011, 07:21:09 AM
Hear that necros?  It's arm time.  I think that's funny because the damn game is so scary, players must naturally go for the legs to keep the psycho-disgusting enemies away from them.  I did!  I've tried the arms, but there always seems to be more than 1 and sometimes they drop right on top of you or sit up from the floor when you go by.

This is the only game where I don't think you can actually beat certain areas, you just have to slow them down and run, and I think that's awesome.

I'm the opposite. I always naturally went for their arms first when I first started playing, then I saw some people going for the legs and I started doing that, but then whenever I get farther in the game I completely forget to do that and just keep aiming at their arms. The only where I found taking out the legs useful was in Extraction.

AvPvTerminator

AvPvTerminator

Just played Portal for the first time (sue me) and the shot of the huge container that houses the yellow marker with pathways going to and from it really reminded me of the outside of the Glados chamber. Or vice versa. Basically, portal is another media that DS rips off.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

How is it a Portal rip off? They're two completely different games.

Quote from: AvPvTerminator on Apr 14, 2011, 03:56:37 AM
Just played Portal for the first time (sue me) and the shot of the huge container that houses the yellow marker with pathways going to and from it really reminded me of the outside of the Glados chamber. Or vice versa. Basically, portal is another media that DS rips off.

huh? for a start DS doesn't rip anything off, it is meant to be an omage to it's inspirations. and second, what? also i'm pretty sure the similarities are only minor.
i don't see how you can discount something quality by it's lack of originality anyway, see Star Wars.

Gate

Gate

Quote from: AvPvTerminator on Apr 14, 2011, 03:56:37 AM
Odd since Portal came first, huh...

AvPvTerminator

AvPvTerminator

Quote from: Gate on Apr 14, 2011, 11:11:11 AM
Odd since Portal came first, huh...
Yeah I know I guess I just worded it wrong.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 14, 2011, 04:29:52 AM
How is it a Portal rip off? They're two completely different games.

I guess influence would have been a better word. The general feel of being alone in a place where shit has gone down (also with writing on the walls from past "victims") was another thing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed