Caretakers of Terror, An Interview With ADI’s Alec Gillis & Tom Woodruff Jr. - AvP Galaxy Podcast #126

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2021, 02:19:10 PM

Author
Caretakers of Terror, An Interview With ADI’s Alec Gillis & Tom Woodruff Jr. - AvP Galaxy Podcast #126 (Read 18,053 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

You heard wrong, my Ukrainian friend. I never participate in this kind of activities.

Kradan

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 28, 2021, 04:00:35 PM
https://youtu.be/8PBiu3HnHjE?t=6886

Ok, have a listen yourself

Oh my gosh 🎶 i feel like a grandpa🙈I really didn't remember asking that. The answer was priceles$ though  :laugh:

Edit: I'm afraid the boy I have possessed is not rich enough to finance the Space Jockey animatronic.  :'(

Thank you, Hicks!  :)

Edit2.0 ~ and Kradan for making me remember ;D

Kradan

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 28, 2021, 03:21:35 PM
Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 28, 2021, 02:38:06 AM
I for the most part enjoyed the interview a lot, I'm surprised no one asked them their thoughts on Prometheus and Covenant, and also the 40th Anniversary Films from the standpoint of their profession.

Perfect Organism host Jaime Praiter did an interview with ADI guys back in 2018 and asked about their opinions on prequels

https://perfectorganism.podbean.com/e/75-interview-with-alec-gillis-and-tom-woodruff-jr-of-amalgamated-dynamics-inc/

For anyone interested it's around an hour in.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 28, 2021, 06:50:56 PM
I for the most part enjoyed the interview a lot, I'm surprised no one asked them their thoughts on Prometheus and Covenant, and also the 40th Anniversary Films from the standpoint of their profession.

Perfect Organism host Jaime Praiter did an interview with ADI guys back in 2018 and asked about their opinions on prequels

https://perfectorganism.podbean.com/e/75-interview-with-alec-gillis-and-tom-woodruff-jr-of-amalgamated-dynamics-inc/
Thank you.

Kradan

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 28, 2021, 06:50:56 PM

Yeah, I probably should've mentioned that before. Whoops. Sorry everybody  ;D

TC

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Apr 28, 2021, 03:03:06 PM
Roger Dickens.Since we want to wander all over the map here, Here's a nice article about Roger Dickens and his involvement in Alien. I think it touches on salient points.

https://www.scified.com/news/roger-dicken-life-in-small-forms

Did Dickens get enough credit? IDK. Did he demand it? IDK. I suspect for him, it was just another job. Hard to believe hanging out here, but Giger and Alien are not a religion for everyone. Some people have never even heard of him or seen any of the movies. I know that's not right, but it's true. :laugh:

There was a Starburst magazine I read in which Roger Dickens was interviewed. He talked about the facehugger and chestburster, and came across as rather jaded by the whole affair, pretty much as in the Scified article.

One idea he had was to put rose thorns on the fingers of the facehugger, making it look more aggressive.

He also thought punching the chestburster up through Kane's torso was the least effective way of doing it. He wanted the wound to appear first, and then some fingers to push through (I guess reminiscent of the facehugger). Then the fingers would be followed by a pair of tiny hands and they would proceed to pull the rest of the chestburster out of the torso, squirming its way through the hole in Kane's chest.

So...  after reading this as a small kid I had to lie down and recuperate.

TC

Kradan

Quote from: TC on Apr 30, 2021, 05:11:17 PM
He also thought punching the chestburster up through Kane's torso was the least effective way of doing it. He wanted the wound to appear first, and then some fingers to push through (I guess reminiscent of the facehugger). Then the fingers would be followed by a pair of tiny hands and they would proceed to pull the rest of the chestburster out of the torso, squirming its way through the hole in Kane's chest.

All I can imagine is this:

TC

Yeah, that's exactly what Dickens was thinking!

And Ash would flick off the lights as the chestburster is emerging, making a more comfortable environment, 'cause, you know... Light bright... Light bright!

TC

SiL

They even tried it, hence the vestigial arms, but they couldn't get it to work. So they cut the arms off and went back to ramming the sucker out.

BlueMarsalis79

Valaquen

Quote from: SM on Apr 28, 2021, 01:59:29 AM
QuoteGiger was also very unhappy with the look of the Resurrection aliens for both the amount of goo applied to the suits and the softer, more organic look of the creatures. His terms were most unflattering, and he emphasized his preference for aesthetic monsters. Sorry, I don't have the source for that.

How about this?

In his first letter, Giger writes,"The creatures in Alien:Resurrection are even closer to my original Alien designs than the ones which appear in Aliens and Alien3. The film also resurrects my original designs for the other stages of the creature's life-cycle, the Eggs, the Facehugger and the Chestburster. Alien:Resurrection is an excellent film. What would it look like without my Alien life-forms? In all likelihood, all the sequels to Alien would not even exist! The designs and my credit have been stolen from me, since I alone have designed the Alien. So why does not Fox give me the credit I rightfully earned?".

Source

Let's keep in mind Giger at the time was fighting for a credit in the film; his words are rather deliberate here. If he said they didn't reflect his work, he could have tanked his own argument.

In 2001 he said about the Resurrection Aliens: "I always wanted my Alien to be a very beautiful thing, not just something disgusting, not just a monster, but something aesthetic. Throughout the creature's evolution what they've done is change it from something aesthetic to something that looks like shit – I mean literally, it looks like a turd."

(I know it's been addressed. Just a little devil's advocacy  :laugh:)

426Buddy

Yeah, a little context is definitely important in regard to that discussion.

XenoHunter99

Thanks Valaquen! I should have taken the moment to look up your article on my initial post.

TC, we don't get Starburst in the US - At least I've never seen it. We had Starlog and Fantastic Films. Good to get corroboration on the Dickens article. If they could have done it right, that birth you described could have been great! "So...  after reading this as a small kid I had to lie down and recuperate."  :laugh:

Yes Kradan, I'm sure that' s exactly what Dickens wanted to do. ::) :P  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed