How Aliens: Fireteam Fits Into The Alien Universe

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 23, 2021, 04:34:00 PM

Author
How Aliens: Fireteam Fits Into The Alien Universe (Read 12,340 times)

The_Nostromo_Files

Quote from: Protomorph on Apr 07, 2021, 12:10:20 PM
What is the actual canon of the franchise?

I assume its all the movies from Prometheus to Resurrection, the isolation and Blackout games, I assume some of the books. Does anyone know the definitive list in a timeline format?

Apologies if this question is in the wrong section.
SM's site has good info as well.

SM

Quote from: Protomorph on Apr 07, 2021, 12:10:20 PM
What is the actual canon of the franchise?

I assume its all the movies from Prometheus to Resurrection, the isolation and Blackout games, I assume some of the books. Does anyone know the definitive list in a timeline format?

Apologies if this question is in the wrong section.

The films Prometheus through to Resurrection.
Comics - Defiance, Dust to Dust, Dead Orbit, Resistance, Rescue, presumably the new Marvel series.
Novels - Out of the Shadows, River of Pain, Sea of Sorrows, The Cold Forge, Into Charybdis, Echo, Prototype, Phalanx, Origins, Infiltrator.
Games - Isolation, Blackout, Fireteam.
The blueprints book, Weyland-Yutani Report.
Bits of the RPG probably.

At least until Disney inevitably decides to hit the reset button again.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I won't lie and say I wasn't mildly thinking reset after Defiance, Resistance, & Rescue :laugh:

Kimarhi

I have my doubt that any Alien universe film writer/director considers the Alien EU canon at all.   

BlueMarsalis79

Disney may make them.

Kimarhi

Yeah. 

But then I think if they force a continuity that they will go with their own collection of films.

It just seems odd to force a continuity for a franchise that you didn't use to be apart of.

They did do that with SW, but SW is much more popular a franchise. 

SM

There's nothing in the Alien EU that has gained such a status - like Thrawn for example - that would get it elevated.

BlueMarsalis79

SM

Is that funny?

Drukathi

Drukathi

Primary canon are films and only films. No one director will make a film, constantly looking at books or tabletop games and try to avoid contradictions.

Of course, books and other things can be a canon in their own niche. I would call them sub-canon. Just consume them, get pleasure and inspiration.

BlueMarsalis79

I might even go as far to say that most Directors in most situations only care for the broad strokes in terms of what's established and nothing else, we see this since the beginning in from the first sequel to Alien onwards, the exception's rare and it's usually studio mandated.

Just consume product, then look forward to next product, but seriously just let things be canon to themselves do not concern yourself with a larger interwoven canon and continuity long term.

Although it's true I want to see this current canon stick around, because of the quality of stories we are currently getting, I'm not deluding myself that it necessarily will.

Machiko Naguchi

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 08, 2021, 09:02:01 PM

Just consume product, then look forward to next product, but seriously just let things be canon to themselves do not concern yourself with a larger interwoven canon and continuity long term.

This is pretty much how I treat most entertainment whether it be movies, games, books, etc. It reduces frustration and annoyance and maximizes enjoyment. Now that's not saying there aren't things I don't like, but it's usually just because of that individual product and not because of trying to fit it in with everything else.

BlueMarsalis79

I also prefer to not think of things as products first for my sanity.

[cancerblack]

I think 40k spoiled me with their very broad brush for this sort of thing. In that franchise, everything produced in-house is canon unless explicitly retconned, but not all canon is an unbiased account, individual ignorance is a primary feature of the setting, and some things can be both canon and explicitly untrue or are simply propaganda.

SpaceKase

All your canons are belong to us.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed