How Aliens: Fireteam Fits Into The Alien Universe

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 23, 2021, 04:34:00 PM

Author
How Aliens: Fireteam Fits Into The Alien Universe (Read 12,598 times)

Corporal Hicks

In IGN’s latest article covering Cold Iron Studio’s upcoming Aliens: Fireteam, they’re talking to Cold Iron's head of studio Craig Zinkievich,  creative director Matt Highison and narrative designer Christ L'Etoile about Fireteam’s story and its additions to lore.

"Aliens: Fireteam is a cooperative shooter, but it's here to tell a new story too, and there's a cohesive narrative spread across its campaigns," Zinkievich explained. "Colonization has exploded, there's a lot of new developments, your battalion is sent out to patrol the lawless frontier that exists out there. On the way, your ship picks up a distress call from LV-895." You can probably guess what happens next. We'll give you a hint: it involves Xenomorphs and pulse rifles.

But let's back up a second. Aliens: Fireteam takes place in the year 2202, 23 years after the events of Aliens and Alien3. Narrative designer Chris L'Etoile gave us a crash course in future history: "one of the major events in our backstory is the passing of the Colonial Protection Act in 2187. That is a government reaction to what the companies were doing in the outer rim in the frontier, basically saying, '[Corporations] have been running roughshod over everything out there, causing a lot of people misery, we're going to take a more active hand in this.'" You, the player, will be one of the Colonial Marines enlisting for this cause.

While we’re pretty certain we’ve already spotted Engineer locations in the gameplay footage, though he didn’t go into too much detail Zinkievich did confirm that Prometheus and Alien: Covenant have influenced Aliens: Fireteam.

As divisive as they might be among fans, Ridley Scott's recent additions to the Alien universe are also part of the canon: "There are themes, there are things that happen in Prometheus and Alien Covenant that do show up in the game as well," Zinkievich tells us. "I think we're planning on talking about those later, but we are pulling Prometheus and Covenant into the future of the timeline." Maybe we'll run into some relics from the Engineers, or zap some Neomorphs or Deacons in addition to Xenomorphs, just don't expect an android who looks like Michael Fassbender to show up and give flute lessons with a rhythm-based minigame. (No, seriously, we asked.)

The possible entrance to an Engineer facility.

I know it’s also been a topic of discussion on our message boards, so for those wondering about the levels of customisation in Fireteam, Highison confirmed that players will be able to choose headgear!

“In space, no one can enforce your dress code, so expect plenty of customization. "You'll be able to wear your cowboy hat, or your classic colonial marine helmet, or awesome synth sunglasses," Highison tells us.”

Be sure to head on over to IGN to check out the entirety of the article in which they also talk about the weapon manufactures, the DNA reflex and plenty more!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest news on Aliens: Fireteam! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Crew Expendable

" Or awesome synth sunglasses," are Kenner Bishop's shades confirmed?  8)

Kailem

Quote from: IGNIn space, no one can enforce your dress code, so expect plenty of customization. "You'll be able to wear your cowboy hat, or your classic colonial marine helmet, or awesome synth sunglasses," Highison tells us.

"Synth sunglasses" you say? 8)

;D

Quote from: IGNThe granular details of who makes which weapon loops back into the larger narrative, as each company has its allegiances; Armat Battle Systems is the primary supplier of the United Americas, Weyland-Yutani is in cahoots with the Anglo-Japanese Three World Empire. Meanwhile, Hyperdyne is more popular with a third faction: The Union of Progressive Peoples. It's unclear quite what their role will be, but if you're familiar with William Gibson's unproduced script for Alien3 (or the graphic novel or radio drama it's been turned into) that name should ring a bell.

I like the sound of that. Sort of expanding on the lore from the rpg a bit with the corporate allegiances, and it should also help make the weapons visually a little more distinctive and different.

And last but not least:

Quote from: IGNAs any Aliens fan who grew up in the '90s can attest, this was explored by the bat-s*** insane (sometimes somewhat literally) designs of the Kenner action figures. We asked if any of those beloved childhood monstrosities would rear their ugly heads. "There's definitely stuff we pulled from, things we updated or that we've been inspired by," Zinkievich informed us.

You know what? I'm totally naming my character in this "Corporal Kenner." ;D

PAS Spinelli

The Prowler/Jumper is 100% Kenner inspired

BlueMarsalis79

That explains why it comes across as a good design with bad parts attached to it.

Nukiemorph

QuoteAs divisive as they might be among fans, Ridley Scott's recent additions to the Alien universe are also part of the canon: "There are themes, there are things that happen in Prometheus and Alien Covenant that do show up in the game as well," Zinkievich tells us.

BlueMarsalis79

If it's done right.

seattle24

Happy to hear Prometheus and Covenant are being mined! Make what you will of the films but there are some classy universe expanding bits that I've always wanted shoved into an Alien(s) game.

Evanus

Good, goood. Hope we'll get a good single player game using some prequel elements eventually.

CnoEVIL

CnoEVIL

Lock and load😁

Voodoo Magic

Maybe we should just move this in an Alien Prequel category now....  ;D

But seriously, it sounds like they plan to be very expansive in regards to lore, which is awesome, but I wonder how now. What will it be its method of delivery?

And Kenner inspirations? My favorite Lava Predator approves!!!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

"One of the major events in our backstory is the passing of the Colonial Protection Act in 2187. That is a government reaction to what the companies were doing in the outer rim in the frontier, basically saying, '[Corporations] have been running roughshod over everything out there, causing a lot of people misery, we're going to take a more active hand in this."

But that's literally what 'Aliens' already depicted was occurring. It's the US government, not private companies, who goes out investigating when colonies go dark. Weyland-Yutani didn't even wholly own Hadley's hope. It was co-financed.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 23, 2021, 08:54:48 PM
"One of the major events in our backstory is the passing of the Colonial Protection Act in 2187. That is a government reaction to what the companies were doing in the outer rim in the frontier, basically saying, '[Corporations] have been running roughshod over everything out there, causing a lot of people misery, we're going to take a more active hand in this."

But that's literally what 'Aliens' already depicted was occurring. It's the US government, not private companies, who goes out investigating when colonies go dark. Weyland-Yutani didn't even wholly own Hadley's hope. It was co-financed.
They probably became aware of Burke's orders to go explore the Deleric, and also of the protocol to return lifeforms at any cost

Andy79

Andy79

I love how everyone still thinks Walter was playing a flute, when it's not a damn flute.  It's like saying a violin is a guitar. Sorry, it's been bugging me for freakin' years.

Back on topic, I'd love to see some prequel references in the game, as long as there are no flutes. Flutes have NEVER been in any Alien movies.

#itsnotaflute #stopsayingflute

Andy79

Andy79

Oh I forgot to say - I hope there's a Burt Gummer skin. That would be awesome.

"Broke into the wrong goddamn starship didn't you, you bastaaaasrd!" 😆

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed