6 Weapons! (IGN First)

Started by PAS Spinelli, Mar 18, 2021, 04:20:13 PM

Author
6 Weapons! (IGN First) (Read 7,113 times)

Kailem

Kailem

It immediately reminded me of Mass Effect 3's arc pistol myself. But I actually like the lore about it originally being designed and used by police of the Three World Empire as a reasoning for why it looks pretty different than the others we've seen so far, so I'm cool with it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Works with it W-Y's involvement too. They are a 3WE company. Honestly, it's the only one I'm not actually keen on. There's something about the Smartgun that I can't quite put my finger on that I'm unsure of - too squat, maybe? But otherwise I like the plated aesthetic of this 30 years into the future-vibe.

I really hope we get the original versions in there too. That updated Scope Rifle doesn't look much like the one from the Tech Manual at all (as cool as I find this one) so I'd still like to see that in here.

Kailem

Kailem

Yeah it's not something I'm expecting as I mentioned in another thread recently, but it'd certainly be cool if we did. Maybe as a "reach a certain rank" unlockable or something.

mesh

mesh

I generally like all the new designs, visually they look great.

The pulse rifle especially, if it weren't for the nonsensical parts. Besides that, for me it's easily the best looking one among the modernized variants, and second only to the original.

The DT-57 Medved is the Aliens: Fireteam version of the Kalashnikov MP-155 Ultima. It's funcional, looks cool, perfect for videogames.

I could do without the big bright blue circle on the Type 78, otherwise it's not bad. Different. I'd try it out.

The new smartgun... Shortened, but chubbier with the magazine moved to the underside. (maybe that's the problem, Hicks?) Sure, it loses the long and sleek look of the MG42, but it actually looks like some thought went into alleviating the shortcomings of the original M56 smartgun (long, difficult to manouver in close quarters). If the original was the equivalent of the contemporary M249, the new one would be the Para version of the M249. I like it, it makes sense. Maybe not as a replacement, but as a complement. Especially considering the prevalent environments the colonial marines are fighting in. I bet Drake and Vasquez would have preferred it while clearing all those corners.

M42A3. Just yes. Maybe a different designation to differentiate it further from the M42 from the Tech Manual. That one was semi-automatic, this one looks like a bolt-action. So they're probably meant for different applications.

OCAP-91 Volcan. Looks good. Not a fan of the glowy bits, but it's a repurposed civilian model so I guess it's kind of ok, although the military would have removed/covered those.

The only thing I actually dislike are all the random glowy bits on the new weapons and armor which seemingly have no purpose or reason to be there besides to be glowy bits.
It's like designing a weapon that is also a target. Same goes for armor, but probably worse. Complete nonsense. And completely unnecessary.
Maybe it looks cool in the civilian world, but it's a hard no-go for military service. It's out of place here.

razeak

razeak

Gears of War armor was always dumb looking from a practical perspective due to the lights.

mesh

mesh

Yeah, Alien(s) was always a more grounded, realistic looking franchise. That's probably why this sticks out so much here.
GoW had the lights as design elements and a more stylized look in general from the very beginning.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

You don't want anything advertising your position in the military.  Maybe if those were infrared lights that you could only see out of your eyepiece on your helmet or something, but just walking around as a random billboard gives the enemy something to shoot at.  That far in the future everybody also probably has the capacity to see infrared light anyways. 

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 19, 2021, 05:02:33 PM
You don't want anything advertising your position in the military.  Maybe if those were infrared lights that you could only see out of your eyepiece on your helmet or something, but just walking around as a random billboard gives the enemy something to shoot at.  That far in the future everybody also probably has the capacity to see infrared light anyways.
One of my Sgt's jacked up a guy for wearing white socks

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I learned the difference between clips and magazines.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Mar 21, 2021, 11:18:40 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 19, 2021, 05:02:33 PM
One of my Sgt's jacked up a guy for wearing white socks

Yeah that's kind of a nono.  We used to be only green, but we changed to where you could wear black before I left.  When the new scorpion camo and new pt uniforms came out.  Nobody really cared though unless you were in the field on the US side of things.  I appreciated the black sock change though because you could wear black socks for both PT and the field.  So it took away having three different pairs of socks. 

I never was a stickler for that kind of stuff though because I was the only NCO in my squad.  We were so short on NCOS, and there weren't even guys who had been to the school yet in my squad to be eligible for promotion.  So most of the time I was running around like a madman doing both the work and the admin bullshit just f**king winging it. 

We had three of seven ncos for my platoon.  It had developed into a huge problem by the time I left. 

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Might just be a perspective issue but the first thing I noticed was that the barrel looks too high:

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yeah they got it all jacked up. 

To line up with the charging handle/bolt carrier group it would need to be exactly where you have the line drawn.

They then went an inexplicably added an ejection port that is non functional because it is in the wrong place (and not necessary on a weapon system that doesn't produce casings).

They made it look cool without actually checking the functionality of it. 

We guessed that the ejection port was meant for an add on functionality to the second barrel, but it still would be in the wrong place.  Military is cheap as f**k, they aren't going to have a weapon system feeding two barrels from one magazine with two different types of ammo.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Also it looks like the entire lower section is a weirdly shaped removable magazine, instead of a housing for a straight mag like in the film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed