The Valkyrie Rides Into Predator: Hunting Grounds!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 16, 2021, 04:15:52 PM

Author
The Valkyrie Rides Into Predator: Hunting Grounds! (Read 7,131 times)

Corporal Hicks

Illfonic has just released Patch 2.14 which sees custom Private Matches added to the game and with our first new DLC of 2021 – the Valkyrie Predator! The Valkyrie is something we expected to make an appearance and continues with Hunting Ground’s recent dive into Norse inspired Predator classes.

As we discovered in October, the Viking Predator can be traced back to when the Viking raiders managed to draw the attention of the Yautja. As the legends of this mighty creature spread, Norsemen saw an opportunity to gain an honorable death by way of this wanderer, so they continued to pursue glory.  Few even relished over a Yautja death, which angered the Predators, so they sent in their fiercest warrior – the Valkyrie. This newest Predator class' sole purpose is to choose the slain worthy of a place in Valhalla. Many fought against her in search of glory, but none could best her. So beware, if you were able to bring a Viking Predator down, she is coming for you in this DLC pack.

Along with her cunning, this hit and run character will wreck your house. She carries with her a mighty two-handed Norse Hammer that deals crippling close-range damage. The secondary attack provides a heavy overhead swing with increased damage to any prey unfortunate enough to stand in her path. This Hammer is Predator's interpretation of Odin's vision for superior god-like weaponry mixed with Yautja ancestry and is available for early access* with this new paid DLC. 

The Valkyrie Rides Into Predator: Hunting Grounds!

As has become typical of the weapons included in the DLC, the Norse Hammer is early access and be be available for free in the next update. On that same note, Beast Mode’s Rocket Launcher is now available as an unlock at level 85 for all.

Patch 2.14 also sees the release of a new custom Private Match mode which allows more flexibility to create your own modes.

You now have full control with the new Custom Private mode for both Clash and Hunt. With an abundance of match styles, you can tweak, adjust, add, or omit to your hearts' content. This mode has a few hidden gems sure to make everyone happy. You can modify actions under a range of categories: Clash, Hunt, Fireteam, HUD, Predator, Weapons/Gear, and General Gameplay. We even added in fun modes; why so serious after all? The takeaway is we want to give you, the community, the power through an array of different modifiers and modes to find the perfect way to play with friends.

The new patch also features three new Predator masks, a change in Field Locker distribution and the usual expected fixes. You can find the full patch notes on Illfonic’s forums. I think it would be safe to say we were all expecting Predators’ Isabelle to make an appearance in February, so the Valkyrie comes as a bit of a surprise. It also sounds like Isabelle is not on the cards for next month either, with Illfonic teasing the next DLC as something already referenced in Dutch’s tapes.

Be sure to stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest news on Predator: Hunting Grounds! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Voodoo Magic

The low gravity customization sounds fun.

Hopefully we can actually select maps and favorite missions in those customization tools!

And the Valkyrie Predator? I can't wait to try her out!

But WTF Illfonic! What happened to getting this gal? I've been looking forward to her for months!!!!

Samhain13

Valky got the stamina of the Scout and llittle more HP and speed than Hunter. Less gear but who cares about that. Might be the best Predator class right now.

Kailem

Kailem

No Isabelle = disappointed. And it sounds like they are indeed switching to a two-month gap between DLC's now going by the text that says this new Predator hammer weapon will be available to everyone in April, and lack of an updated roadmap image showing a drop next month. So disappointed x2.

Not sure why they switched her out since the silhouette made it pretty clear she was planned as the next DLC. But instead we get another Viking Predator? And it sounds like "Cleo" is up next, based on the hint on the Playstation Blog entry. Original designs are great, but it sure would be nice to get something from the movies or EU again soon too.

I mean, I wasn't expecting a new map, despite that being what this game needs most, but another movie character of some sort would have been great, not essentially a variant of the last Predator we got. As someone on the Illfonic forums pointed out, it feels like Dutch 87 all over again.

According to the blog post the field lockers are now also supposed to prioritise items you don't already have more often, though I'm not seeing any changes listed in the patch notes, so who knows? Chances are the drop rates will still be just as bad as usual, especially when half the new shaders they've added aren't even available in them anyway.

In fact, reading it again it says "a few other things to look forward to", so it sounds more like that's something they're going to be doing in a future (April?) update, not now.

Fixes are nice, but......yeah. Oh well, at least I can try out this rocket launcher for a bit.

SuperiorIronman

I posted a bit of my thoughts on Valkyrie as everything was coming out in another thread but to surmise, she's actually pretty good.

If anything Valkyrie feels like a good do-over on Viking. While aesthetically she's female Viking I do like the tweaks in the design and I also prefer the stats here over Viking. The only complaint I have is that the weapon should've been a sort of Predator rifle or spear gun to play off Gungnir but the hammer is alright. She'd probably do wonders with a quicker weapon but it's not bad.

I can confirm the field lockers are better. I've gotten a few legendries already and my second Predator trophy almost immediately.

If anything it's close to Dutch 87 and Dutch 2025 in terms of difference but I feel like the stat and playstyle different do better to differentiate them rather than Dutch choosing which passive you want. 

Kailem

I just hopped on briefly to download the update and yeah, the drop rates are definitely better; if only for giving way more red duplicates. I opened about 40 crates and got 1 red-tier item I didn't already have but a ton of duplicates, so I actually ended up with more veritanium than I had to start with. So at least on that front if you open enough boxes you should at least get something you don't already have.

Voodoo Magic

Maybe I'll finally get a trophy?

Kailem

Tread softly with these drop rates, Illfonic, for you tread on Voodoo's dreams.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 16, 2021, 04:39:25 PM

Hopefully we can actually select maps and favorite missions in those customization tools!

But WTF Illfonic! What happened to getting this gal? I've been looking forward to her for months!!!!

Its not off the table that we might get her at the end of the month. There is usually two patches/downloads every month after all.

Samhain13

Samhain13

The drop rates for the rare items have never been better, if anyone got a shitload of veritanium this is time to use it all. I got my first mythic trophy last week, today I opened like 40 lockers, got like dozen of new red itens and 1 more mythic trophy. Easy. On the PHG PC Elite Discord Server many people are getting 2+ mythic trophies. This is the chance to get them all.

Also the Valkyrie is awesome, probably the new meta class:

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 16, 2021, 10:39:44 PM
The drop rates for the rare items have never been better, if anyone got a shitload of veritanium this is time to use it all. I got my first mythic trophy last week, today I opened like 40 lockers, got like dozen of new red itens and 1 more mythic trophy. Easy. On the PHG PC Elite Discord Server many people are getting 2+ mythic trophies. This is the chance to get them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV_CvMovJHU

She is so overpowered, that now the standard has been set high for when Cleo comes around. The one that bested Dutch, I wonder whats going to happen if they come across each other once again.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Feb 16, 2021, 09:41:56 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 16, 2021, 04:39:25 PM

Its not off the table that we might get her at the end of the month. There is usually two patches/downloads every month after all.

Not two paid DLC's in one month though. :-[

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 16, 2021, 10:39:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV_CvMovJHU

But I FINALLY got my first two trophies ever last night!  A skull (coyote I believe) and the tomahawk!  So tonight I'll take an hour and just open a sh*tload of field lockers! Woot!

Kailem

It finally happened! Voodoo's flintlock dreams have been rekindled at long last!

And yeah it's strange how two of the biggest additions with this update - 60fps mode on PS4 Pro and PS5 and much, much better field locker drops - weren't mentioned in the patch. A PS5 mode with an increased framerate was one of the things I've been hoping they'd add, and this is basically that. The game looks great with an extra 30 frames, very smooth indeed.

And the drop rates really are so much better now. I got 4 trophies last night, the coyote and wolf skulls along with the nunchucks and western pistol, plus a bunch of mythic knife shaders and a few mythic armour shaders. And if you had enough vert saved up to begin with and buy and open enough lockers with it, you end up with so many red duplicates that you literally get more money back than you put in. I was playing the game throughout the night and ended up with over 200k more veritanium than I had when I first started.

Looking on the Illfonic forums it looks like the improved drop rates were just mistakenly omitted from these patch notes, and also that apparently we're not even supposed to be getting mythic dupes. But obviously we still are, so I wonder if that's going to be changed at any point?

Either way now is definitely the time to blow all that veritanium you've been saving, not only because the drop rates are actually good now but also because I feel like they might put out a hot fix for the "getting more vert than you put in" thing, either by lowering the drop rates back down again or just reducing how much the duplicates are worth.

So get 'em while they're actually gettable!

Samhain13

Samhain13

Yeah this is it, let's get them all. I spend 500k of Veritanium on lockers, now thanks to duplicates it went to 900k  :D

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 18, 2021, 12:01:38 PM
Yeah this is it, let's get them all. I spend 500k of Veritanium on lockers, now thanks to duplicates it went to 900k  :D

Damn Samgains! You get 'em all? And that flintlock! *jealous*

I've opened about 800 field lockers so far myself and yep, never lost a cent of vert. But damn is it time consuming...

Considering I had no trophies 48 hours ago, not even a single skull, I guess I'm off to a good start.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed