Possible Character Details

Started by botmetro, Feb 09, 2021, 10:14:03 PM

Author
Possible Character Details (Read 21,782 times)

SiL

SiL

Socrates was about 70 when he died; Plato was 80.

morseman

morseman

Well that's novel, not sure how I feel about it to be honest.
We've had Arnie and a bunch of 30-40 somethings for a while now with varying success (Predator obviously, I'd put predators second Predator 2 third, not really considering the rest as having happened)

It'd be interesting to see how this pans out, if they can make compelling well written characters, plot and set design then get some really solid editing and tight, suspenseful direction I'll be pretty happy :)

I really miss John McTiernan to be honest

SiL - with respect, as a classically educated half Greek with a focus on Greek philosophy I can say this, we can't even prove Socrates existed, let alone his age at time of death. This is despite the school of thought and precious lessons and perspectives the thought processes attributed to him (or amalgamation of people) that enrich the world ;)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: morseman on Feb 12, 2021, 07:55:37 AM
SiL - with respect, as a classically educated half Greek with a focus on Greek philosophy I can say this, we can't even prove Socrates existed, let alone his age at time of death. This is despite the school of thought and precious lessons and perspectives the thought processes attributed to him (or amalgamation of people) that enrich the world ;)

My apologies for continuing to derail the thread, but indeed! famous historical figures whose existence is uncertain are a real thing, sometimes due to cultural syncretism. Here are some examples.

Spoiler
Pitagoras

Lycurgus

Hermes Trismegistus

[close]

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 12, 2021, 04:47:30 AM
I'm gunna be that guy and point out that average life expectancy includes infant mortality, and that if you made it to adulthood at all you had a fair chance of getting old.

I am not saying that old people did not exist in the ancient world. But the advancement of medicine has extended life expectancy. Many diseases have been eradicated with vaccines. Yes, as we get older we become susceptible to some types of cancer, but there are more chances of reaching old age than in ancient times.

Some diseases and the deaths they produced were associated with superstition and the supernatural. And yes, ancient people could have develop some kind of cancer too.

Spoiler

SiL

SiL

Quote from: morseman on Feb 12, 2021, 07:55:37 AM
SiL - with respect, as a classically educated half Greek with a focus on Greek philosophy I can say this, we can't even prove Socrates existed, let alone his age at time of death.
Leaves Plato.

Even assuming neither existed, historical data does show that life expectancy throughout human history was reasonably high if you survived childhood.

Immortan is likely going by a statistic that says a newborn's life expectancy was 40 (true in 17th century Britain, for example); but the life expectancy of a ten year old was late 50s, life expectancy of a 20 year old was 60s, and basically you'd cap out around the 80 mark until the 19th century and its advancements in medical care and hygiene.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 12, 2021, 02:02:59 PM
I am not saying that old people did not exist in the ancient world. But the advancement of medicine has extended life expectancy. Many diseases have been eradicated with vaccines. Yes, as we get older we become susceptible to some types of cancer, but there are more chances of reaching old age than in ancient times.

That still ignores the skew on historical averages. You were much more likely to die as an infant or child than you are today, but once you made it to adulthood you were more or less "safe".
Yes medicine has improved, but people have been getting old and grey forever and it wasn't just rare outliers - most adults who didn't die to violence would reach advanced age, they didn't magically drop dead at forty.

NameDav

NameDav

Murphy's Multiverse is fake news. Not always, but in most cases. When he's right, its an educated guess at best. People wake up already, all these podcasts/fan Facebook rumors sites are. Hard to believe the unassuming still buy this.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Okay you win.

Rush Hour Rambo

Rush Hour Rambo

So because life expectancy was lower that makes someone whose 18 older? Am I reading this nonsense right?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Morse...

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Morse on Feb 13, 2021, 12:34:27 PM
So because life expectancy was lower that makes someone whose 18 older? Am I reading this nonsense right?

People used to get married at like 12 years old in historic times.

18 was absolutely adulthood.

Kradan

Destro

Destro

Sigh.

At this point they've no interest in making a timeless classic, just pushing feminism and modern political agendas in film and entertainment in because everyone in the business these days is a self-righteous peon that can't seperate art from artist. Not interested in following trends, much more interested in quality filmmaking not trying to preach or lecture the audience.

bendinglight

bendinglight

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Feb 11, 2021, 03:30:53 AM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 11, 2021, 01:38:02 AM
You're a teenager as long as there is teen in your age.
Soldiers were drafted or enlisted in war when they were 16 and above before recent times, as the age restriction was lifted to 18 years old for WWII.  Marquis de Lafayette was around 18 or 19 years old when he was serving under George Washington with a command of his own men as well during the American Revolution. And since this was either during pre or post colonial times, its not strange to see 17 year olds and above fighting in wars.

My point is that the siblings being 17 and 19 won't hurt the film as timewise and culturally speaking they have a different mindset of today's young generation.

Audie Murphy was only 19 when he earned the Medal of Honor - and youngest to ever earn it was 13. So I don't get all the complaining of a teenager being the main character. Teenagers have proved themselves in battle for well over 100 years and beyond. Granted, I would be severely letdown if the story focused on BS like love interests/growing pains of teens, etc.

Quote from: overthere on Feb 10, 2021, 10:31:01 PM
This premise can be saved if this is the movie in which Predator doesn't die at the end.

I would really like to see the Predator survive for once - and not just in this film...others as well. There have been plenty of movies where the antagonist survives and does well from a audience reception perspective (e.g., Saw, No Country for Old Men, Usual Suspects - to name a few, imo).

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

So I was doing more digging into Comanche history, and right from the main website of the tribe, they have a small bio of their tribe's history. Which now makes the info of the movie not line up so well.

QuoteWe are the Comanche Nation and in our native language "Nʉmʉnʉʉ" (NUH-MUH-NUH) which means, "The People". We are known as "Lords of the Plains" and were once a part of the Shoshone Tribe. In the late 1600's and early 1700's we moved off from our Shoshone kinsmen onto the northern Plains and then southerly in search a new homeland.
https://comanchenation.com/

From what I gathered, it was about the same time that the Comanche formed and separated from their parent tribe when Europeans started to settle in the Americas, as they did late 17th and early 18th century. Historically, the Comanche were not even a thing pre-European times, which would be about early 16th century and before. They would still be Shoshone.

So the question is, what gives? Do they not have any Comanche historians advising on this film? Or is it simply that we do not have the full details of this film just yet?

As for Kee's situation on gender norms.....to the surprise of all those naysayers and anti-sjws, it actually holds historical precedent.

QuoteComancheria was not a politically or economically united whole. Instead, it was a nomadic empire of multiple autonomous bands, rooted in decentralized political power, kinship, and intra-ethnic exchange. They had no permanent settlements or demarcations of private property but instead asserted their control through naming places and controlling access to specific sites such as cemeteries, sacred spaces, and hunting grounds.
https://www.thoughtco.com/comanche-people-4783882

So Kee's struggle in establishing herself as a capable warrior is a valid goal for her if her tribal band specifically has set rules that limits her options in life. Again, one must not forget that the entire movie is a stealth Predator film so one can say the original premises can be abandoned as the situation changes now dealing with an extraterrestrial hunter from across the stars.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

As I said before, the subject is not a problem, the way it is treated could be one. That will be decisive. Subtlety or no subtlety etc.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed