[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2021, 06:11:47 AM

Author
[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin (Read 95,105 times)

SiL

AvPR. Wang sculpted the PredAlien and was not too pleased when he had to sculpt extra muscles over it.

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, I think the people who are worried are not worried about the design choices the directors approve, (there's nothing we can do about a director's vision) but more worried about the craftsmanship the directors likely didn't approve, something not evident in the concept art or maquettes like skin rolling and folding in unnatural ways, etc.

SiL

Nah I'm also pretty worried about good craftsmen getting told to realise shit ideas. What's the point in getting Steve Wang if you tell him to put bitch tits on an Alien, y'know?

Voodoo Magic

Well if you have a poor vision and poor craftsmanship, you have no chance of a Predator to rival the Winston originals.

But with Wang possibly on board, I see it at the very least...

seattle24

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 07, 2021, 09:24:15 PM
Yeah, I think the people who are worried are not worried about the design choices the directors approve, (there's nothing we can do about a director's vision) but more worried about the craftsmanship the directors likely didn't approve, something not evident in the concept art or maquettes like skin rolling and folding in unnatural ways, etc.

Going back to AvP-R, the Strause bros constantly banged on about their love for Aliens and wanting to go back to the domeless look. It was ADI's first proper chance to revise the Alien properly since Alien Resurrection and what they turned in was an unfathomably fat neck to hide the actor's head, and the worst looking Alien head in any Alien film. It couldn't look further from the ridged head in Aliens if it tried. So yeah it's definitely the craftsmanship.

SiL

Ironically Tom Woodruff Jnr is the guy who sculpted the skull in Aliens.

Kradan

RidgeTop

Steve Wang has worked for ADI sculpting on both Alien Resurrection and AVPR. Same thing could be happening here. When people want one FX studio over another, I don't think they really realize how many artists are work for hire and take up jobs rotating between studios. I get the argument that management makes a significant difference, but as we've also seen the director and the producers have made decisions that ADI have disagreed with. An artist team is entirely different on different projects, even with the same studio.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 08, 2021, 09:07:48 AM
Steve Wang has worked for ADI sculpting on both Alien Resurrection and AVPR. Same thing could be happening here. When people want one FX studio over another, I don't think they really realize how many artists are work for hire and take up jobs rotating between studios. I get the argument that management makes a significant difference, but as we've also seen the director and the producers have made decisions that ADI have disagreed with. An artist team is entirely different on different projects, even with the same studio.

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/ckeditor_assets/pictures/805/content_steve_wang_bts_avp_requiem_20th_century_fox.jpg?1352307729

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a1/a9/6e/a1a96e52af3a389098df2203812f926d.jpg

That's exactly why I said it's all about job responsibilities: "Give Steve Wang & Onyx the entire Predator and let ADI do the weapons, the armor, Comanche stunt weapons, etc. etc."

It goes back to the one thing you and I agreed on that with ADI Predators, for some reason, something gets lost between maquette and the final executed product. That's why I hope Onyx gets the entire Predator soup to nuts... and ADI gets the Predator armor and accessories which is something ADI does a very good job with in my humble opinion!

Quote from: seattle24 on May 08, 2021, 04:55:18 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 07, 2021, 09:24:15 PM

Going back to AvP-R, the Strause bros constantly banged on about their love for Aliens and wanting to go back to the domeless look. It was ADI's first proper chance to revise the Alien properly since Alien Resurrection and what they turned in was an unfathomably fat neck to hide the actor's head, and the worst looking Alien head in any Alien film. It couldn't look further from the ridged head in Aliens if it tried. So yeah it's definitely the craftsmanship.

Well, I personally think everything is a case by case basis, but I do know with Predators, that skin rolling and folding in unnatural ways is definitely craftsmanship... and definitely not in the concept art or maquettes.

BigDaddyJohn

+ The bobble head effect which is ridiculous. I hope it disappear as well. God it's bad.

Yautja888

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 04, 2021, 07:47:45 PM
Quote from: Lost_Hunter on May 04, 2021, 06:00:10 PM
So I'm guessing ADI's involvement is all but confirmed. Good sleuthing guys. Given the light of the recent lawsuit, help me out, why are we looking forward to this? Native American angle is great but everything else sounds terrible. ADI doesn't deserve another shot and I doubt they ever did. Even if they get this one right, who the f**k cares? If they got it right or close we would be able to look at their involvement with both franchises and root for em but that's not the case is it.

Predator to me is a slasher film franchise at heart. There are so many wonderful aspects of Predator that elevate the material far beyond your typical slasher fare, but that is the crux of it to me.

So in that slasher framework, much of its freshness relies on 1. the setting and 2. the opponent. And to me they hit the bullseye with a soldier in a present day jungle, and hit it again with a cop in a city in the future.

The other necessary component is 3. maintain the mythological / supernatural prism in which the Predator is viewed, an aspect that was purposely baked into the creature by Jim & John Thomas. You got that in the first two Predator films from both Anna and King Willie referring to the hunter as a "demon".

Unlike Predators and Royce, and The Predator and McKenna, you finally have a movie Skulls that checks all three boxes again in 1. setting, 2. opponent and 3. mythological prism (you just know the Comanche is going to view the Predator as some demon, god or ghost from some sort of spirit world.)

That's why I am looking forward to this.  :)

Very good post and very true, I would add :

4. Predator design, if it sucks the movie will suck too.

Besides the creature and its equipment, the sound design is also important, and the pred vision.There were small differences between the pred visions in  the first two movies, such as the heartbeat missing, but nevertheless both were quite similar and produced that eerie feeling.A lot of other details really made the character for me, like the difference between the mask removal in the first two movies, and the more recent ones,they removed them like cheap Halloween masks  :D :-\

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 07, 2021, 03:08:14 PM
Steve Wang ? Now this is interesting ! God I hope his role is important in this one...

Can't be a bad new, but I will remain cautiously optimistic .Nicotero worked on Predators but the original pred was a failure.

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, I think cautiously optimistic is the most we can be.  :)🤞

SiL

Wolf's bobble head compared to that sculpt was needing to fill it with animatronics for the eyes. Scar didn't have the issue.

Voodoo Magic

The Fugitive had the no neck /bobble-head issue.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 08, 2021, 09:07:48 AM

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/ckeditor_assets/pictures/805/content_steve_wang_bts_avp_requiem_20th_century_fox.jpg?1352307729

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a1/a9/6e/a1a96e52af3a389098df2203812f926d.jpg

Woah :o Thank you for such amazing post  :o

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed