[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2021, 06:11:47 AM

Author
[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin (Read 95,082 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Lost_Hunter on May 04, 2021, 06:00:10 PM
So I'm guessing ADI's involvement is all but confirmed. Good sleuthing guys. Given the light of the recent lawsuit, help me out, why are we looking forward to this? Native American angle is great but everything else sounds terrible. ADI doesn't deserve another shot and I doubt they ever did. Even if they get this one right, who the f**k cares? If they got it right or close we would be able to look at their involvement with both franchises and root for em but that's not the case is it.

Predator to me is a slasher film franchise at heart. There are so many wonderful aspects of Predator that elevate the material far beyond your typical slasher fare, but that is the crux of it to me.

So in that slasher framework, much of its freshness relies on 1. the setting and 2. the opponent. And to me they hit the bullseye with a soldier in a present day jungle, and hit it again with a cop in a city in the future.

The other necessary component is 3. maintain the mythological / supernatural prism in which the Predator is viewed, an aspect that was purposely baked into the creature by Jim & John Thomas. You got that in the first two Predator films from both Anna and King Willie referring to the hunter as a "demon".

Unlike Predators and Royce, and The Predator and McKenna, you finally have a movie Skulls that checks all three boxes again in 1. setting, 2. opponent and 3. mythological prism (you just know the Comanche is going to view the Predator as some demon, god or ghost from some sort of spirit world.)

That's why I am looking forward to this.  :)

Lost_Hunter

Lost_Hunter

Solid answer and I'm with ya on that. If they go that route I'll be shocked, Hollywood lacks the scope. These are core elements of what makes the creature great but they are seldom utilized. The mythological monster aspect can yield many results. A First Nations cast can pull you in but that synopsis we got was questionable at best. I appreciate your optimism man, I do but the focus on gender and ADI's involvement is not good enough. An emphasis on horror and shock with a strong Predator character is what we need.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Lost_Hunter on May 04, 2021, 08:06:22 PM
Solid answer and I'm with ya on that. These are core elements of what makes the creature great but they are seldom utilized. The mythological monster aspect can yield many results. A First Nations cast can pull you in but that synopsis we got was questionable at best. I appreciate your optimism man, I do but the focus on gender and ADI's involvement is not good enough.

Well, to me, I was actually encouraged by 1. Dan Trachtenberg and 2. by what I saw in the screen tests. Not in regards to the actor delivery, but in regards to the content.

With that synopsis, I thought perhaps Kee might be at odds with Comanche gender roles like cooking, making clothes, and raising children. But from what we can gather from the audition, its instead Hunting vs Medicine, becoming a Hunter versus becoming a Healer, and if that is the route it goes, I find it promising... especially if Kee takes the Predator out with a combination of both, after so many other warriors have fallen.

I think goose was the first to predict the Predator will be taken down with a mix of both, like a poisoned spear. Something from the healing world to neutralize, paralyze the Predator. So I am very hopeful here. Mix in a great score and beautiful cinematography and we may have a real winner.

Lost_Hunter

Lost_Hunter

I could definitely see the poison spear idea working. That's a good idea. Also like the idea of another creature like a Wendigo reeking havoc and the Predator is actually there to hunt it as the main trophy. Think that was Xenomorphone's idea. Alot of potential for the Native angle. Also the horses, the Comanche had a symbiotic relationship with the horse.  I just see ADI and I start sputtering out of control.

goose_3387

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 04, 2021, 08:32:11 PM
Quote from: Lost_Hunter on May 04, 2021, 08:06:22 PM
Solid answer and I'm with ya on that. These are core elements of what makes the creature great but they are seldom utilized. The mythological monster aspect can yield many results. A First Nations cast can pull you in but that synopsis we got was questionable at best. I appreciate your optimism man, I do but the focus on gender and ADI's involvement is not good enough.

Well, to me, I was actually encouraged by 1. Dan Trachtenberg and 2. by what I saw in the screen tests. Not in regards to the actor delivery, but in regards to the content.

With that synopsis, I thought perhaps Kee might be at odds with Comanche gender roles like cooking, making clothes, and raising children. But from what we can gather from the audition, its instead Hunting vs Medicine, becoming a Hunter versus becoming a Healer, and if that is the route it goes, I find it promising... especially if Kee takes the Predator out with a combination of both, after so many other warriors have fallen.

I think goose was the first to predict the Predator will be taken down with a mix of both, like a poisoned spear. Something from the healing world to neutralize, paralyze the Predator. So I am very hopeful here. Mix in a great score and beautiful cinematography and we may have a real winner.

Yep was me. 🙃😅

Voodoo Magic

'tis a great idea brother!  :)👍

Quote from: Lost_Hunter on May 04, 2021, 08:47:19 PM
I could definitely see the poison spear idea working. That's a good idea. Also like the idea of another creature like a Wendigo reeking havoc and the Predator is actually there to hunt it as the main trophy. Think that was Xenomorphone's idea. Alot of potential for the Native angle. Also the horses, the Comanche had a symbiotic relationship with the horse.  I just see ADI and I start sputtering out of control.

Yeah. ADI. I know. I definitely feel ya. And the concern is real. Woah boy. But that's where my hope in Dan's uncompromising vision comes in, and his ability to push and will a great Predator out of them. 🙏

SiL

Unless he doesn't mind how they've looked in the latest films. :-[ Do we have anything to suggest he was particularly bothered by them?

Voodoo Magic

That he yearns for the original design? We only have hope...

ace3g

Quote from: ace3g on May 03, 2021, 08:54:47 PM

This was from Kyle Strauts IG story 1 hour ago.  Anyone recognize the creature designs?  If so, we might know what creature effects company is working on the film.

He also posted this a few stories before the one above.  He was driving down the road and then this one with gate entrance.  Thought maybe it was a hint at the VFX studio but can't find anything.

seattle24

Quote from: SiL on May 04, 2021, 10:26:55 PM
Unless he doesn't mind how they've looked in the latest films. :-[ Do we have anything to suggest he was particularly bothered by them?

That's exactly what I was thinking  :(

Slightly encouraged by ace3g's image as this does look like the entrance to a practical effects studio, but I'm probably clutching at straws!

Surely the big bosses choose a new director and new writers for each new instalment to breathe freshness into it - I don't know why the same doesn't apply with the practical effects  >:( how are we at this stage with Predator where the design has looked poorer than better in over half the series? Jesus.

SiL

To be fair, think what you will of the quality - all of ADI's ventures have showcased different styles of Predator according to the directors' wishes. Wolf's face may look like ass, but he's very different to the AvP Predators.

I think the biggest mistake of the creature work in The Predator was getting ADI to do the body rather than the armour. Their Predator armour is great, it's the bodies they should've outsourced.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on May 05, 2021, 07:37:04 AM
I think the biggest mistake of the creature work in The Predator was getting ADI to do the body rather than the armour. Their Predator armour is great, it's the bodies they should've outsourced.

Hmm. ADI crafts the armor, bio-mask and accessories and the actual Predator head & body is assigned to a different FX house?  I would sign up for that. :)

Quote from: ace3g on May 05, 2021, 03:50:08 AM

He also posted this a few stories before the one above.  He was driving down the road and then this one with gate entrance.  Thought maybe it was a hint at the VFX studio but can't find anything.

Yeah, I don't know. Calgary has a pretty famous gorilla exhibit there. I would just assume this is some sort of sub entrance or side entrance to something like that, versus an entry to an fx studio.

Deadmeat

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

So, I've been doing some digging and it's a good speculation here that both Alec's and Tom's StudioADI and Steve Wang's Onyx Forge Studio is working on "Skulls". It will be interesting to find out how the responsibilities are divided up, if confirmed.

And I'm betting Jen Roomes is working on "Skulls", who's an up & coming Special FX, Make-Up, Costume Designer.

She says she's working her dream job right now at StudioADI during the week as well as Steve Wang's Onyx Forge Studio on weekends.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COJ20HAFI4w/?igshid=kts8lvvhu6yy

Jen and Alec also liked this recent post of Steve's:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNo1JU0F5J0/?igshid=7iimwwjp848v

BigDaddyJohn

Steve Wang ? Now this is interesting ! God I hope his role is important in this one...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed