Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,193 times)

SM

SM

Dark Horse is definitely not as egregious and to try and imply that they did the same thing after all the bullshit cover thievery to the lazy lifelessness of the final artwork is disingenuous bullshit.

judge death

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 25, 2021, 04:36:53 PM
I just hope, in other future comics to come, Marvel doesn't feel the need to constantly go for "realism" and actually hire artists that will put their own stamp on things. So many of Dark Horse's best books looked totally unique from one another (and didn't attempt to just go for photorealism), and were all the better for it.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/avp/images/d/d0/ASSelkirk4.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/340?cb=20210124205502
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/Item/229780/Previews/8b7157ea490c2813b937b2d3a5709bec._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/P3ONkt2Mfcaiiy5nGCHlawaNNaeOSvVa24etHMIEkV0glJACjQ8TOppijdPCVDH6HlQzKiMlheSgYRjZqx6VqC-40vjMxfflktdLW9Sc5xRe89sO91E1sFbylsE0

Comics don't always have to ape the look/feel of movies, nor do they all have to look like one another. Let this medium be used to its fullest potential in a variety of different ways.
LOVE dead orbite! The art in that one is good and easy to remember, hard to mistake for anything else, and waiting to get my copy of inhuman condition, looking forward to it :D

Remember someone on twitter saying that all artists in modern comics are using photoshop and its where comics will go, calling them photoshop comics. I´m so glad that we have 2000AD and others who make stunning original real life paintings for their comics, example dark justice from 2012 was all hand painted and took 4 years to make but it blows everything I´ve seen out of the water :D

SM

SM

Photoshop has been around for 30 years.  The problem isn't Photoshop.

judge death

its what the person called using tracing for, like taking neca toys and pictures and then trace it, apparently some call it photoshop comics and prefers that more realistic style, learned that yesterday. But yep, photoshop isnt the problem in this case.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2021, 08:16:32 PM
Dark Horse is definitely not as egregious and to try and imply that they did the same thing after all the bullshit cover thievery to the lazy lifelessness of the final artwork is disingenuous bullshit.

Please take it down a notch SM. I'm not good at finding these things myself but RidgeTop went looking in DH's Alien: The Original Screenplay and found an array of tracing that Hicks, Eric nor I caught. So in terms of recent Alien, until someone goes looking in releases like F&S and L&D etc., to be fair, we don't know, until we know (sadly).

SM

SM

Quote from: judge death on Mar 25, 2021, 08:33:40 PM
its what the person called using tracing for, like taking neca toys and pictures and then trace it, apparently some call it photoshop comics and prefers that more realistic style, learned that yesterday. But yep, photoshop isnt the problem in this case.

Because of course Photoshop invented tracing and tracing paper isn't a thing.

judge death

Hahaha xD Well said.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 25, 2021, 08:38:10 PM

Please take it down a notch SM. I'm not good at finding these things myself but RidgeTop went looking in DH's Alien: The Original Screenplay and found an array of tracing that Hicks, Eric nor I caught. So in terms of recent Alien, until someone goes looking in releases like F&S and L&D etc., to be fair, we don't know, until we know (sadly).

The Aliens fire and stone tracing has been known for a long while now. There is no tracing in L&D.

I'de bet that Marvel has put out more traced or stolen art before the release of their first f*cking issue than in the whole DH line up. And DH never put out anything as egregiously traced as Marvel issue 1. The  action figures are so obvious it wasn't going to be missed even if no one was looking for it.

It is disengenous to say DH had done anything on this level and that's counting Alien the original screenplay. I think Ridgetop noticed that because he hates prometheus so much. And I understand that series HAD to be rushed out because they were losing the license.

But I get it, whatabout-ism helps make the pill go down easier for those shelling out money for this when they know before-hand that it's just lazy traced work.

This seems to be a growing trend in the industry but Marvel appears to be leading the charge.

judge death

Read that Marvel used warhammer 40K figures they traced for some venom comics and got shit and threats of suement from the owners of warcraft 40k, seems they didnt learn from it.

SM

SM

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 25, 2021, 09:12:20 PM

The Aliens fire and stone tracing has been known for a long while now. There is no tracing in L&D.

I'de bet that Marvel has put out more traced or stolen art before the release of their first f*cking issue than in the whole DH line up. And DH never put out anything as egregiously traced as Marvel issue 1. The  action figures are so obvious it wasn't going to be missed even if no one was looking for it.

It is disengenous to say DH had done anything on this level and that's counting Alien the original screenplay. I think Ridgetop noticed that because he hates prometheus so much. And I understand that series HAD to be rushed out because they were losing the license.

But I get it, whatabout-ism helps make the pill go down easier for those shelling out money for this when they know before-hand that it's just lazy traced work.

This seems to be a growing trend in the industry but Marvel appears to be leading the charge.

Take it down a notch there Bud - DH doing some well known and discussed tracing in a couple of books over the course of 30+ years is exactly the same as Marvel doing it right out of the gate and stealing the work of other artists.

Exactly. The.  Same.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: judge death on Mar 25, 2021, 09:14:51 PM
Read that Marvel used warhammer 40K figures they traced for some venom comics and got shit and threats of suement from the owners of warcraft 40k, seems they didnt learn from it.

It wasn't even that much effort, they just ripped models directly the from Dawn of War videogame and didn't even trace or recolour them, just shrunk/upscaled a few parts (in ways that don't even look any good or make any sense).

Or maybe you mean the time they actually did draw a 1:1 copy of what amounts to an "rpg pistol" from 40k, then added a weird fuel tank and grappling hook to it?

I've posted both earlier in the thread.

Voodoo Magic

It is disengenous to say DH had done anything on this level and that's counting Alien the original screenplay. I think Ridgetop noticed that because he hates prometheus so much.

???

Again, please take it down a notch guys. It's okay to disagree but let's try to do it without all the hostility.

judge death

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 25, 2021, 09:35:36 PM
Quote from: judge death on Mar 25, 2021, 09:14:51 PM

It wasn't even that much effort, they just ripped models directly the from Dawn of War videogame and didn't even trace or recolour them, just shrunk/upscaled a few parts (in ways that don't even look any good or make any sense).

Or maybe you mean the time they actually did draw a 1:1 copy of what amounts to an "rpg pistol" from 40k, then added a weird fuel tank and grappling hook to it?

I've posted both earlier in the thread.
Ahh! Sorry I missed that, learned that 2 days ago when I was reading about spiderman and found this stated in reviews that took up venom.

BlueMarsalis79

All of this yes, even if RidgeTop's totally, entitled to that opinion.

RidgeTop

Let's keep it civil here, folks.

I think Ridgetop noticed that because he hates prometheus so much. And I understand that series HAD to be rushed out because they were losing the license.

I don't hate Prometheus, I was very disappointed in it in the context of an Alien prequel. I've always said as a stand-alone sci-fi I quite enjoy it, and I still watch it from time to time. Actually the ship designs in both Covenant and Prometheus were some of the things I liked the most, which is why I was quick to notice them. Copying those backgrounds is deserving of criticism but certainly not as bad as straight up stealing from a fellow comic artist like what happened with Land. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed