Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,352 times)

Prez

Prez

This is a fascinating thread.

Part of me is honestly intrigued to see what this story is like.
Another part of me doesn't want to support a publisher who has given me continued reason to question their standards. That probably sounds quite obnoxious of me but whilst I know every publisher has their issues ... Marvel are quite happy to put their own front and centre in the public eye and continue to repeat them.

Xiggz456

Another thing that I'm intrigued by in this first issue
Spoiler
is getting a glimpse into WY BioWeapons division.
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 24, 2021, 02:49:32 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 24, 2021, 02:14:15 PM
Going in with trepidation I read Alien #1. And so far, I am thoroughly invested. Yep, I enjoyed it. It was a very good first read, even with the art issues justifiably criticized throughout this thread. I especially enjoyed the main family dynamic here. It felt real. So I am definitely looking forward to issue #2, even though... after weeks of reading this thread, I felt like I needed a shower afterwards. :-\

It really put to bed the worries as to whether or not it would graphic/violent/adult enough, don't you think.

Im with you on it.  I really felt like I was reading quality and am onboard.

Yeah, that one graphic moment I was like..  oh sh*t! So definitely that panel should calm any of those fears.  :laugh:

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Mar 24, 2021, 08:05:33 PM
The family dynamic was very well done and I loved that cliffhanger!

I did like that cliffhanger. - I'm certainly looking forward to issue 2.

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 24, 2021, 08:58:20 PM
It's gonna get at best 6 issues.

Yeah, I personally believe this grim prediction is way off. And I suspect once Dark Horse gets a look at those issue #1 sales, they're going to be kicking themselves for not trying to launch an on-going Alien series themselves this past few years. That's the way I'm figuring at least. :)

Quote from: SpaceKase on Mar 24, 2021, 09:11:33 PM
Man, what's with the Pro-Corporate Anti-United Americas vibe? Weyland Yutani as the good guys...? You guys think the series is going to stick with this sentiment because it would certainly be disturbing and at odds with like 40 years of story telling. Kind of like sitting down sitting down to a Captain America movie and suddenly having Cap be the bad guy and the narrative of the film telling us that Hydra and the Red Skull were in the right all along. Egads.

Wow, you really think that's the way this story will go? To me, they're doing the tale that is almost as old as time... where the protagonist has been thinking he's one of the good guys, until the wool is finally pulled away from his eyes. And I love those type of stories. :)

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 25, 2021, 12:47:47 PM
Quote from: SpaceKase on Mar 24, 2021, 09:11:33 PM
Man, what's with the Pro-Corporate Anti-United Americas vibe? Weyland Yutani as the good guys...? You guys think the series is going to stick with this sentiment because it would certainly be disturbing and at odds with like 40 years of story telling. Kind of like sitting down sitting down to a Captain America movie and suddenly having Cap be the bad guy and the narrative of the film telling us that Hydra and the Red Skull were in the right all along. Egads.

Wow, you really think that's the way this story will go? To me, they're doing the tale that is almost as old as time... where the protagonist has been thinking he's one of the good guys, until the wool is finally pulled away from his eyes. And I love those type of stories. :)

I hope you're right. I really do... because just one of those things can manage to wipe out an entire topic thread in less than twenty-four hours. And if the corporations find that shit, there's no telling how many us will be exposed.

But seriously, there's no way to know yet, we've only got one point of data so we won't have any way to detect a pattern until there's at least two more, but there was enough dog whistling to make me cringe, we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm a big fan of redemption arcs and nuanced character motivations myself, it's part of what made the characters in BSG so fantastic, I think The Expanse went the same way, but I'm waaay behind in my viewing to speak to that honestly. So here's hoping!

Quote from: muthur9000 on Mar 25, 2021, 07:07:04 AM

I also didn't like the outburst Salvador Larocca had with his previous colourist. Had sexist tones.

"My editor already showed these (pages) with a horrible colour, I prefer to show them in black and white, which I prefer indefinitely more. A publisher such as Marvel with so terrible colorists... A woman, in this case."

Article here: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/salvador-larroca-trash-talks-his-colourists/

RUDE

Yeah dude, that is super disappointing to be sure. Not cool.

Russ840

Im loving the constant focus on traced art and yet no one seems to be calling Dark Horse on it ( other than Ridgetop) for Alien the original screenplay.

Nightmare Asylum

Second Printing:

http://www.tripwiremagazine.co.uk/headlines/alien-1-returns-to-comic-shops-with-second-printing/

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 25, 2021, 02:03:09 PM
Im loving the constant focus on traced art and yet no one seems to be calling Dark Horse on it ( other than Ridgetop) for Alien the original screenplay.

I think it's just as big an issue there, honestly, though it becomes more apparent in this case because it is from an "artist" that has a long history of doing this, over and over and over again, and Marvel does absolutely nothing about it.

HuDaFuK

:laugh: They just had to sneak out one more variant.

Russ840

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 25, 2021, 03:21:34 PM
Second Printing:

https://i0.wp.com/www.tripwiremagazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/image002-4.jpg?w=496

http://www.tripwiremagazine.co.uk/headlines/alien-1-returns-to-comic-shops-with-second-printing/

I think it's just as big an issue there, honestly, though it becomes more apparent in this case because it is from an "artist" that has a long history of doing this, over and over and over again, and Marvel does absolutely nothing about it.

As I said over in the other thread. It seems to be a thing with the industry. It's more common than we think. But because 'Marvel', we are all over it.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 25, 2021, 03:27:35 PM

Well second printings typically means it sold through past expectations and there's more demand/orders to fill, which is good news for those who want this ongoing to thrive.

The new cover is just so the collectible marketplace doesn't get the 2nd print confused with the more valuable first printings. (Many older books, the only way you could tell what printing it was from, was to open the cover and check the fine print!)

Second Printing hits stands on April 28th.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 25, 2021, 03:44:15 PM
Second Printing:

https://i0.wp.com/www.tripwiremagazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/image002-4.jpg?w=496

As I said over in the other thread. It seems to be a thing with the industry. It's more common than we think. But because 'Marvel', we are all over it.

Nice way to dismiss people's criticism, I know I've mentioned it regarding DH multiple times and also in this very thread.

QuoteI'll take Sam Keith again over traced action figures and stolen art.

It has come out that it happened at DH too, on Alien TOS and Aliens Fire & Stone for sure. But I don't know any other examples. With Marvel it's been just too much to keep me interested anymore.

If you want to support these business practices then just own it instead of using whatabout-ism.

Xiggz456

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 25, 2021, 03:27:35 PM

Lol right! But the largest comic shop in my state was completely sold out within one hour of opening. Luckily there's a couple of smaller shops a bit further away where I was able to snag a Variant cover. Last time I had this problem was when Gibson's A3 came out and that was by far the best seller of DH's recent Alien runs so based on this very limited knowledge I'm thinking this is already selling well.

Nightmare Asylum

Second Printing:

And in every case, it is a lazy, half-assed attempt at art in a medium that is centered around art on the page.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 25, 2021, 04:01:34 PM
Second Printing:

Nice way to dismiss people's criticism, I know I've mentioned it regarding DH multiple times and also in this very thread.

I don't think Russ is dismissing it per say, but there has definitely been a lot more spotlight on Marvel's Alien #1 than anything before with Dark Horse in regards to this issue. I think he's right about that.

However to me though, it's not necessarily because it's Marvel, but rather the fact Tristan Jones shined a big spotlight on the issue to us Alien fans recently when he accused Greg Land of plagiarizing some of his artwork on the upcoming Omnibus. It was a loud enough noise that some media outlets even picked it up.

So now everyone is looking at every piece of artwork and trying to find out its reference source, (hence RidgeTop with TOS) and it has all snowballed I think. So perhaps Dark Horse is just as egregious recently, but as luck would have it, they just missed the looming storm? It's only a question for readers with better eyes than me can answer. :)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I just hope, in other future comics to come, Marvel doesn't feel the need to constantly go for "realism" and actually hire artists that will put their own stamp on things. So many of Dark Horse's best books looked totally unique from one another (and didn't attempt to just go for photorealism), and were all the better for it.

Comics don't always have to ape the look/feel of movies, nor do they all have to look like one another. Let this medium be used to its fullest potential in a variety of different ways.

Russ840

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 25, 2021, 04:23:56 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 25, 2021, 04:01:34 PM
Second Printing:

I don't think Russ is dismissing it per say, but there has definitely been a lot more spotlight on Marvel's Alien #1 than anything before with Dark Horse in regards to this issue. I think he's right about that.

However to me though, it's not necessarily because it's Marvel, but rather the fact Tristan Jones shined a big spotlight on the issue to us Alien fans recently when he accused Greg Land of plagiarizing some of his artwork on the upcoming Omnibus. It was a loud enough noise that some media outlets even picked it up.

So now everyone is looking at every piece of artwork and trying to find out its reference source, (hence RidgeTop with TOS) and it has all snowballed I think. So perhaps Dark Horse is just as egregious recently, but as luck would have it, they just missed the looming storm? It's only a question for readers with better eyes than me can answer. :)

Exactly. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed