User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The String Rewrite Project (SRP) for ACM Overhaul ...  (Read 1250 times)

XSlayer300
Sep 29, 2020, 02:48:30 PM
Topic on: Sep 29, 2020, 02:48:30 PM
Q

A rewrite of the game's strings for Aliens: Colonial Marines Overhaul.

Introduction:
Let's face it, ACM was not a perfect game to start with. And although I am late to the hype (but actually disappointment) party when the game was released, the modding scene was dedicated enough to make the game better in most regards. We have Aliens Survival Experience, Cilitbäng-Pack, "Building Better Worlds" and of course, the more recent and highly developed ACM Overhaul. And here I am, thinking that if we have a bunch of textures mods and mods that alter the game play experience, are there any mods that can rewrite the game's strings to make it slightly feel better? And here the SRP Addon was born, built for version 6 of ACM Overhaul.

The goal:
The SRP was made for several goals in mind:
  • To have more thought process in creating descriptions.
  • To correct the game's typographical errors both in the game and what was caused because of ACM Overhaul. (One letter typos that significantly alter the AI notwithstanding)
  • To give a little more incentive on the reading front.
  • To expand the broken base of ACM's lore (ie. the new xenomorphs, W-Y PMCs, etc).
  • To give a character to transform from the lifeless husk.
  • To expand the game's strings without adding more (since adding more strings barring credit strings will be an impossible task to do).
  • To know if we got everything.

Okay that last one wasn't really what I have in mind, the game itself already has a pre-planned story that me or any of the experienced modders cannot change. BUT however! I have some features that come into mind.

Main features (atleast for now):
  • A total rewrite of most descriptions of the weapons and their customization options (built for ACM Overhaul).
  • The option to choose real weapon names for some of the weapons or their names given in the Aliens universe.
  • A total rewrite of the game's tips, with the option of choosing in-game lore, in-game tips or out-of-game facts about the game and the mods.
  • Fixed typo graphical errors that were made in the vanilla game (ie. Gorman's first name)
  • Fixed typo graphical errors that were made in with the addition of the Overhaul Mod (ie. Bug Hunt item costs)
  • Added more flavor into the game's texts (ie. Skin descriptions)
  • Intel system that gives an insight on what or how it happened (they replaces the Sephora's dogtags)
  • And possibly many more (I could not really say much, after all. Why not watch the credits for a surprise?)

Extensive list (why not play the mod when it's done:tm: instead? These spoilers are in the spoiler box after all):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Intel system (Work-in-progress):

The big flaw of ACM's story is... the low-regard for storytelling, atleast from what I have knew. The characters lack flavor, and more especially the antagonists, who just appeared as if they came out of nowhere they're forced in to this game. And the main game's story does not make any sense. This is atleast the best I can do to add ACM's story without directly rewriting it (as it is impossible to add or remove the game's level design and/or story events).

The Intel system is what I come up with, they are collectables in the game which reveals unexplored information about the game's new xenomorphs, fills in the blanks and tells us what happened before the events of the game. The intel system replaces the Sephora's dogtags, the Sulaco's dogtags remained the same for that purpose of nolsalgia after all. Due to the limited space of what I can type, I cannot fit everything in, some things are best left unexplained after all.

Intel files now support a custom string to indicate such.

To see what I come up with for the intel, here is the list inside the spoilers.

The content (in chronological order):

As it is still work-in-progress, I might as well make it as a community effort too. I hope you guys can give me suggestions on what to write about those articles that I will be adding.

There will be more updates to the Intel system soon.

Screenshots:

Developer notes:
This is - more or less - a lore-friendly headcanon to explain the game's lore, this is not an official canon. But atleast, this is the best what I (and maybe and hopefully, others) can do to fix up most of the game's strings.

This is currently work-in-progress, so downloads will not come up soon, yet.

This is meant for ACM Overhaul in mind. SRP will work without it, but most of the strings will be incorrect, and besides, ACM Overhaul is the best addition for the game's singleplayer experience.

My english is somewhat bad, please bare with me.

I know A:CM Modding Discussion is a better place, but I am not asking questions really. This is a preview of a mod that is WIP.

This addon (along with the Overhaul mod) is best played at 1920x1080, so anything less than that and some strings will be cut off.

Credits:
In addition to myself creating this mod, some wonderful people helped me out in the ACM Overhaul discord during the development:
  • TheSpoons313 - for assisting me with the game's tips and the credits
  • Larnievc - for assisting me of some of the game's intel files
  • TemplarGFX and the rest of the community - for making the Overhaul mod and this addon possible

Feel free to stop by at the official ACM Overhaul discord for the development of this addon as well as the Overhaul mod. https://discord.gg/cPceJCs

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2020, 01:36:21 AM by XSlayer300 »

Stitch
Sep 29, 2020, 06:08:43 PM
Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2020, 06:08:43 PM
Q
Sounds interesting. Might re-download ACM and give it a whirl when it's complete.

XSlayer300
Oct 05, 2020, 10:44:27 AM
Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2020, 10:44:27 AM
Q
School is starting for me, development for the mod is slowed down, but not dead either.

Development WIPs:

S1L
Nov 15, 2020, 11:41:35 PM
Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2020, 11:41:35 PM
Q
I actually came on to see if anyone every modded this to save it.

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed