August/September Update

Started by molasar, Aug 19, 2020, 02:43:03 PM

Author
August/September Update (Read 39,381 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 08, 2020, 03:36:00 AM
The way that rubber folds between Scar's mandibles with no rhyme or reason always bothered me too.

Drives me crazy, its my biggest gripe with non-stan predators. It's the worst by far on Scar though.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: Tichinde on Sep 07, 2020, 05:26:28 PM
the only AVP pred that looked moderately decent was the ancient, and I think that's partly because he had so much new stuff going on with his face like the extra quills and the engraved tusks, he also had somewhat of diagonal eyebrows which adds to the inhuman look, I also just appreciate the tribal ornamentation enough to give it somewhat of a pass.

Scar looked like a wet blob

To this day I still wonder why his lower lip looks like it was torn off. It's not visible on any other design but here it looks like he just lost part of his face

Hot Toys redeemed Scar with their action figure. Redesigned the face to look much better.

Tichinde

Tichinde

Quote from: The Shuriken on Sep 09, 2020, 01:42:08 AM
Quote from: Tichinde on Sep 07, 2020, 05:26:28 PM
the only AVP pred that looked moderately decent was the ancient, and I think that's partly because he had so much new stuff going on with his face like the extra quills and the engraved tusks, he also had somewhat of diagonal eyebrows which adds to the inhuman look, I also just appreciate the tribal ornamentation enough to give it somewhat of a pass.

Scar looked like a wet blob

To this day I still wonder why his lower lip looks like it was torn off. It's not visible on any other design but here it looks like he just lost part of his face

Hot Toys redeemed Scar with their action figure. Redesigned the face to look much better.

Yeah, they even made the Mandible Full extension roar thing he does kinda cool. I actually think that it looks good on the toy instead of the movie where it kinda looks like he's breaking his jaw to roar.

Though I give points to AVPR because that roar seemed better and more natural, but it might have been because I couldn't see most of it  :P

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

Scar looks fine when he's otherwise determined or angry (which is what Neca's roaring heads seem to be based off of). The face really works then but the problem is really that he was meant to emote and connect with the audience which he does too well. In other shots he looks fine barring personal preferences but the first time we really get to see him without a mask and he comes off as being a bit too nice looking. The Predator is one of those characters where it just feels wrong to see "smile" if that makes sense. For me it's kind of the difference between Savage and Professor Hulks.

Tichinde

Tichinde

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Sep 10, 2020, 02:52:58 PM
Scar looks fine when he's otherwise determined or angry (which is what Neca's roaring heads seem to be based off of). The face really works then but the problem is really that he was meant to emote and connect with the audience which he does too well. In other shots he looks fine barring personal preferences but the first time we really get to see him without a mask and he comes off as being a bit too nice looking. The Predator is one of those characters where it just feels wrong to see "smile" if that makes sense. For me it's kind of the difference between Savage and Professor Hulks.

No, you hit it on the head. They are a species of hunters and killers. They are carnivores, they are instinctual monsters from outer-space.

Scar was literally too human. There is no other way to describe it, the brows, the eye contact, the entire demeanor was too passive, it wasn't like an alien like a monster, which is the problem.

It's funny too, because he's so INHUMAN early on when kills the guys at the pyramid and growls at Weyland he's so predatory, then he becomes so vulnerable with Lex, almost gives me whiplash

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

If Scar ends up in the game, who do you think the 3D modelers will look to, the movie or Hot Toys?

Tichinde

Tichinde

Quote from: The Shuriken on Sep 11, 2020, 02:09:06 AM
If Scar ends up in the game, who do you think the 3D modelers will look to, the movie or Hot Toys?

I don't think they are gonna be painfully accurate, they weren't with the Elder and Greyback, they also use somewhat stylized graphics, so scar would probably be like what they have now or the hit toys but I imagine when he roars he'll do the full mandible stretch.

But yeah. I hope they go for the hot toys

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, I'd bet on the Hot Toys Scar.

Lost_Hunter

Lost_Hunter

Don't wanna be negative but as long as we're throwing ADI under the bus, it's a red flag when 1/6 scale or Neca figures have to "fix" the designs in the film. They're Predator and Aliens just don't hold up on screen. Their best work in either franchise was Alien 3 and Chet.

Forgot about the Queen in AVP, that was awesome!

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I did like the Queen!

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

I wouldn't say they don't hold up. At least Celtic and Wolf I see having a lot of fans and all things considered Celtic wasn't in AVP that long as opposed to Scar.

I will say the armor design caught on though as to this day I can still see people gravitate to that as opposed to the other styles and it influencing some modern ones like the Berserker in Hunting Grounds definitely taking notes from it.

Tichinde

Tichinde

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Sep 11, 2020, 10:42:43 PM
I wouldn't say they don't hold up. At least Celtic and Wolf I see having a lot of fans and all things considered Celtic wasn't in AVP that long as opposed to Scar.

I will say the armor design caught on though as to this day I can still see people gravitate to that as opposed to the other styles and it influencing some modern ones like the Berserker in Hunting Grounds definitely taking notes from it.

Well celtic never took the mask off 🙃 and Wolf was missing half his face, plus he was in the dark. Agree on the armor though, and I like wolf myself everything about him, I'd say him and fugitive are good examples of ADI being competent, as well as the queen.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I like the AvP armor designs. I don't think it was executed well in the film but upon seeing some great EU art using it, I really started liking that armor style.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 12, 2020, 11:00:53 AM
I like the AvP armor designs. I don't think it was executed well in the film but upon seeing some great EU art using it, I really started liking that armor style.
I always loved how they look like a level up armor upgrade of the Jungle Hunter. More thicker and reinforced. Some people didn't like how thick they looked, comparing them to football players rather than the athletic build of Jungle Hunter. I guess wearing full armor make them look like that (as it does to anything wearing full armor) , but have it follow Jungle Hunter's look like Ancient Predator, and it just looks like they leveled up in terms of physical ability and gear.

comparing to Elder as body is technically Jungle Hunter but older

Look at it now though, now I remember how I hate the eyes of the AVP Preds, look too human while Elder has the beady alien look as they originally had.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 11, 2020, 08:37:07 PM
I did like the Queen!

If I recall correctly, wasn't the Queen model the same one they used in Aliens, like the exact same one. I think the crew said something about starting from scratch until someone remembered that it was still stored in one of the warehouse and lucky enough it was still there, abit a bit aged but with a little polish it was restored to its former glory.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Sep 19, 2020, 07:28:16 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 11, 2020, 08:37:07 PM
I did like the Queen!

If I recall correctly, wasn't the Queen model the same one they used in Aliens, like the exact same one. I think the crew said something about starting from scratch until someone remembered that it was still stored in one of the warehouse and lucky enough it was still there, abit a bit aged but with a little polish it was restored to its former glory.

Wow, really? I mean, really, really? Because that would explain A LOT!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed