Disney Halting Backlog Physical Media Releases (Including Fox Titles)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Aug 10, 2020, 05:09:31 PM

Author
Disney Halting Backlog Physical Media Releases (Including Fox Titles) (Read 13,104 times)

SiL

Quote from: bobby brown on Aug 13, 2020, 05:15:54 PM
This is no loss, Films of a certain age, including the Alien movies, looks bad in that high quality anyway.

Completely kills the movie magic.
This is very not true.

426Buddy

Alien 4K looks better than ive ever seen it.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 13, 2020, 10:12:03 PM
Alien 4K looks better than ive ever seen it.

Agreed. Alien and Predator 2, unequivocally high recommend on 4K.

j0nesy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 13, 2020, 08:05:06 AM
Haha. I brought mine when it came out so I had it. I don't yet have a 4K TV or player though...

same, though i'm timing a 4k tv purchase for whenever the ps5 launches

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Aug 13, 2020, 09:25:20 PM
This is no loss, Films of a certain age, including the Alien movies, looks bad in that high quality anyway.

This is very not true.

I guess, he means movie loses part of its charm - it doesn't look like movie from 70s when you can make out all the shapes and lines and letters

bobby brown

bobby brown

Quote from: SiL on Aug 13, 2020, 09:25:20 PM

This is very not true.

I think it is, The light looks very artifical all of a sudden, the sets looks fake and the alien suit looks more rubery.

Like the film wasn't intended to be shown in that level of detail. I loathe the soap opera effect you see sometimes. I never go higher than DVD format in movies made before 2000.

SM

Might be your telly.

I've noticed some movies suddenly look like than have very obvious sets or blue screens on some TVs (Star Trek 3 was one and one of the Harry Potter movies was another), but on other TVs look perfectly fine.

bobby brown

With that said, I havent actually watched ALIEN in 4k, but it was made in 79? how could it be different? I imagine 4k must absolutely murder Blade Runner...

SiL

SiL

So you haven't seen the film in 4K, but you know it looks worse?

It was shot on 35mm film and displayed in both 35mm and 70mm. The resolution of 35mm is approximately 6K, 70mm is enormous and requires special projectors. It 100% was meant to be seen in that level of detail -- and more.

The "Soap opera" look is from the TV, not the film. It's a setting trying to replicate a higher frame rate and is what most shops switch the displays to in-store. Switch it off for a proper cinematic look.

bobby brown

I assuming. I am simply voicing an opinion.

English is not my first anguage, but I hope I have conveyed my train of thought.

SiL

But if you haven't seen the film in 4K how can you have an opinion on it?

bobby brown

I have opinions on older films in 4K in general.

I have not yet seen ALIEN in 4k, however, as it was made in 79, I assume I wont apriciate it.

SiL

Have you seen any pre-2000 film on 4K?

bobby brown

bobby brown

Would I have strong feelings about the subject if I hadn't?

Seen some in 4K,others in 1080 and that jazz.

The only one that I though benefitted from it where documentaries and actual on-site footage productions, with little to none props and sets. (thats the stuff that ages most badly in higer quality) Like Baraka.

I am a little curious on Apocalypse Now though, as that movie utilized a lot of unsimulated locations.

TC

Quote from: bobby brown on Aug 14, 2020, 07:59:29 AM
The only one that I though benefitted from it where documentaries and actual on-site footage prodcutions, with little to none props and sets. (thats the stuff that ages most badly in higer quality) Like Baraka.

You keep mentioning props and sets. I remember when TV was transitioning from standard definition to HD, there were many TV makeup and hair, wardrobe, art directors, props persons, etc that were worried about the increase in detail that was required of their work.

But I don't believe the advent of 4K video caused the same concern among feature film workers, mainly because 35mm film has always been an equivalent 4K (and HDR) format.

TC

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed