Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 71,066 times)

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 26, 2020, 02:47:06 AM
This was never a debate (at least for me) that a message didn't exist, but rather it was subtle, meaning it was there for those who wanted to find one, not due to an oblivious state.
"Clear and present", I should have said.

If the message is obvious but its political nature is lost on some, that's the audience's obliviousness to the matter.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 26, 2020, 02:01:55 AM
Did you make all that up to sound clever, or is there any David Fincher quote to back it up?

It is a genuine question. Since I'm not an Alien scholar.

Nah, Ultramorph pointed it out in his reply. I looked back at it confused as well but after looking hard and realized that the scene can also be interpreted that way. Like it really isn't supposed to but I can see how it can be seen that way.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 26, 2020, 02:11:04 AM
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Oct 26, 2020, 01:51:45 AM
Its subtle if you are not actively looking for it.
Again, what part of "the company we work for doesn't care if we die so they can get this thing" is subtle?

I literally explained that I did not catch this notion in my early years as I was not yet politically experienced enough to see it until later on. How is 11 year old preteen me supposed to know about the f**ked up notions of corporatism?  Read my early reply again please! Are you the product of the poorly run American education system or something?

SiL

SiL

I'm not American.

It has nothing to do with political experience, the characters literally read a message from their bosses saying "we don't care if you live or die", then have a conversation with the robot about how the Company doesn't care if they live or die so long as they get the Alien. The characters finding out this information is a crucial part of the plot.

What part of it is subtle?

(9 year old non-American pre-teen me got it so I don't think it's an age thing.)

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: SiL on Oct 26, 2020, 04:26:40 AM
I'm not American.

It has nothing to do with political experience, the characters literally read a message from their bosses saying "we don't care if you live or die", then have a conversation with the robot about how the Company doesn't care if they live or die so long as they get the Alien. The characters finding out this information is a crucial part of the plot.

What part of it is subtle?

Young me just wanted to see the Alien kill things and Ripley kill the Alien. How would an 11 year old catch on to such things? Like i dont know about how the kids are at your place but I deadass can tell you kids at my age at the time just wanted to see Jason or the Predator rip shit up and not care if the story or writing is good or not. To summarize, its like in that episode of the Simpsons:

Bart Simpson: Alan Moore! You wrote my favorite Radioactive Man comics.
Alan Moore: Oh, really? You liked how I made your favorite superhero a heroin-addicted jazz critic who's not radioactive?
Bart Simpson: I don't read the words, I just like it when he punches people.
— The Simpsons, "Husbands and Knives"

I guess you were just smarter than me at the time. Its why I appreciate the movie more now that I'm old enough to understand. You hear that all the time when people look back at media and go "wow I can't believe that flew over my head". Of course it did, not everyone would get it. Kids are smart, but not yet fully experienced on the real world.

SiL

This sounds more like you were too young to really be watching the film, and not that the film itself was too subtle. I don't think intelligence has anything to do with it; I also wanted to watch the Alien kill things (I'd read the comics and really just wanted to see an Alien in live action), but I got engrossed in the story and so noticed all the bits that ... weren't the Alien killing things.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: SiL on Oct 26, 2020, 04:39:45 AM
This sounds more like you were too young to really be watching the film, and not that the film itself was too subtle. I don't think intelligence has anything to do with it; I also wanted to watch the Alien kill things (I'd read the comics and really just wanted to see an Alien in live action), but I got engrossed in the story and so noticed all the bits that ... weren't the Alien killing things.

If 9 year old you can figure it out but 11 year old me didn't, than it just means one thing:

People are just different.

I read the comics too and even though I read the dialogue, I didn't understand some subtext at the time cuz such notions of corporatism, exploitation, and glorification of the military was beyond me, so it was just glossed over. That's why many people growing who complain about that there is politics in my media never realized about the fact that its always there, simply that it went over their heads as they were just inexperienced at the time. Sadly some people didn't mature enough to see it and understand the story better. Luckily I matured more and broadened my viewpoint in recognizing such notions, making the experience much more fulfilling and appreciative of the narrative. Its that rare moment of experiencing the film for the first time, but in a second time if you get my drift.

Not to mention, sometimes there are also people who catch it early on as they are living the experiences that the characters are living right now. The mutants of X-Men are always faced with racism, fear, and hatred for being different and I know there must have been many kids who read that and understood it better than others as they too were branded as outcasts by other kids in social circles in some manner, compared to say, a kid who is spoiled rotten and had an easier life that knows no struggle.

And then there are people like yourself who just caught on better than others. Again people are different.
Its the issue of people still not understanding and complaining about these political messages that were always there, despite being on this earth long enough to become experienced adults is one I hope we agree that its mind numbing.

SiL

Definitely agreed at the end there.

Kradan

What have I done ?

SiL

This is what happens when you aren't more sensitive to the political themes of sci fi movies.

Drukathi

Quote from: SiL on Oct 25, 2020, 08:13:28 PM
Guy who bitches about getting underpaid the whole movie cursing out the Company, asking "The damn company. What about our lives, you son of a bitch?" and angrily torching the corporate shill sent to jeopardize them all for profit after being told their lives are completely disposable really isn't subtle.

Nightmare is right. Politics have always been there, and they've always been worn on the films' respective sleeves.

You are digging too deep. People just don't want another toxic and aggressive abomination like GB 2016.

SM

Deep?   :laugh: There's no digging required at all.

SiL

First Alien is arthouse, and now Alien doesn't have a blatant anti-corporate message. I eagerly await what's next.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Drukathi on Oct 26, 2020, 09:36:07 AM
You are digging too deep. People just don't want another toxic and aggressive abomination like GB 2016.

I haven't seen the 2016 Ghostbusters, but nothing about the trailers seemed "toxic" or "agressive" to me. I just didn't think it looked particularly good (I'm not really a Paul Feig fan), so I opted to skip it.

You know what did seem toxic and aggressive? The "fans" that bitched over and over and over again about the fact that the movie starred women and just couldn't let that go, to the point where they are still holding onto it like it was some personal offense against them. And then they did it again to Star Wars. And to Mad Max. And to Terminator. And to Captain Marvel. Etc, etc. And it was pretty disgusting, every single time they used that as their complaint.

Drukathi

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 26, 2020, 01:06:51 PM
I haven't seen the 2016 Ghostbusters, but nothing about the trailers seemed "toxic" or "agressive" to me. I just didn't think it looked particularly good (I'm not really a Paul Feig fan), so I opted to skip it.

You know what did seem toxic and aggressive? The "fans" that bitched over and over and over again about the fact that the movie starred women and just couldn't let that go, to the point where they are still holding onto it like it was some personal offense against them. And then they did it again to Star Wars. And to Mad Max. And to Terminator. And to Captain Marvel. Etc, etc. And it was pretty disgusting, every single time they used that as their complaint.

You're doing the wrong thing. You haven't seen the film, but the opinions of the people who watched it and concluded that people are wrong. Things don't work that way. GB2016 is disgusting film. It received well-deserved criticism and I'm glad that this junk will be erased thanks to Afterlife.
You can't compare this trash to Fury Road, SW ST and Dark Fates. I agree - these films have received undeserved criticism. However - they were not toxic. IDK about Captain Marvel - I have not watched it, so I think it's right not to talk about this film.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Drukathi on Oct 26, 2020, 01:39:32 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 26, 2020, 01:06:51 PM

You're doing the wrong thing. You haven't seen the film, but the opinions of the people who watched it and concluded that people are wrong. Things don't work that way. GB2016 is disgusting film. It received well-deserved criticism and I'm glad that this junk will be erased thanks to Afterlife.
You can't compare this trash to Fury Road, SW ST and Dark Fates. I agree - these films have received undeserved criticism. However - they were not toxic. IDK about Captain Marvel - I have not watched it, so I think it's right not to talk about this film.

Ghostbusters 2016 isn't getting "erased." It was never part of the original continuity to begin with.

What about the movie was toxic? Whenever I see people throwing that word around with that movie, the only thing I ever see them complaining about is the female leads. I'm not saying that you're doing the same, but that's the only lasting take that I ever see from people that are still so upset about it that they are still clinging to and citing it all these years later.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed