User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comi...  (Read 20258 times)

Voodoo Magic
Jul 22, 2020, 12:40:00 AM
Reply #526 on: Jul 22, 2020, 12:40:00 AM
Q
Okay, I finally listened to the podcast - I watched the video actually.

A few notes:

I enjoyed the podcast, but once in a while it was a bit too all over the place at times, at least for my taste, where it made my head spin a little bit. But still, overall, very good work guys! :)

Too much optimism. I wanted to hear more Alien & Predator is leaving Dark Horse sadness!  I wanted someone to represent my pain!  ;D

Marvel has the Icon label imprint that is totally hardcore. I've been a big Marvel reader for much of my life,  and when I read Icon's Painkiller Jane series, it was laced with curses, nudity, sex and blood and guts.

I didn't love the full on reboot Paul was pushing initially. I can see it would be easier for new fans, true. And it's likely an easier pill to swallow for Paul who's generally new to Darkhorse A&P EU lore and subsequently not as deeply invested yet as us older fans... the logic is sound but I think there's a way to still invite new fans to an existing canon without alienating the old ones. Predator: Hunters is a perfect example of that. I know someone who's even really enjoying it as much as me and had no idea there were reoccurring characters.

And finally, RidgeTop, my AvP Requiem brother, a few of us actually like Chris Claremont's Aliens Predator: Deadliest of the Species! So give it a shot, you might like it! :)

Thats all I got. Great job guys!

« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2020, 03:39:10 AM by Voodoo Magic »

SiL
Jul 22, 2020, 04:21:02 AM
Reply #527 on: Jul 22, 2020, 04:21:02 AM
Q
And finally, RidgeTop, my AvP Requiem brother, a few of us actually like Chris Claremont's Aliens Predator: Deadliest of the Species! So give it a shot, you might like it! :)

I imagine that story would be a little more palatable for Predator fans if only because it actually features a f**king Predator in it.

There's Aliens for like three pages on issue 3 and the rest is gold-plated or albino jousting hybrids or a God-damned Queen that decides to be pally with the rest of the team because f**k you, that's why or that human Predator Alien hybrid at the end.

God I hate that book so much.

Voodoo Magic
Jul 22, 2020, 04:25:56 AM
Reply #528 on: Jul 22, 2020, 04:25:56 AM
Q

I imagine that story would be a little more palatable for Predator fans if only because it actually features a f**king Predator in it.

There's Aliens for like three pages on issue 3 and the rest is gold-plated or albino jousting hybrids or a God-damned Queen that decides to be pally with the rest of the team because f**k you, that's why or that human Predator Alien hybrid at the end.

God I hate that book so much.

So it's a SiL recommend?

SiL
Jul 22, 2020, 04:32:56 AM
Reply #529 on: Jul 22, 2020, 04:32:56 AM
Q
If you found the two panels of blue banana shaped blobs in issue 4 of AvPvT a satisfying Alien experience, DOTS is 10/10.

j0nesy
Jul 22, 2020, 04:40:49 AM
Reply #530 on: Jul 22, 2020, 04:40:49 AM
Q
i'm going to step in here and say that i'm also not a fan of dots; sorry, voodoo!

Tichinde
Jul 22, 2020, 04:56:53 AM
Reply #531 on: Jul 22, 2020, 04:56:53 AM
Q
Never read Turnabout, I assume it's very good, but doesn't one of the stories involve multiple predators hunting bears... with a plasma caster... from a distance? Guess that whole equaling your opponents in available weapons thing is gone now  >:(

SiL
Jul 22, 2020, 05:18:48 AM
Reply #532 on: Jul 22, 2020, 05:18:48 AM
Q
That's almost never been an actual thing.

I mean they shoot Aliens a lot.

SM
Jul 22, 2020, 06:09:04 AM
Reply #533 on: Jul 22, 2020, 06:09:04 AM
Q
They shoot people a lot and all.  While they're invisible.

But modern hunters hunt animals that can't shoot back, and that's what Predator is based so I'm not sure if there ever was a "equaling your opponents in available weapons thing".  All there is, is not blasting someone who is unarmed.

Tichinde
Jul 22, 2020, 06:31:14 AM
Reply #534 on: Jul 22, 2020, 06:31:14 AM
Q
They shoot people a lot and all.  While they're invisible.

But modern hunters hunt animals that can't shoot back, and that's what Predator is based so I'm not sure if there ever was a "equaling your opponents in available weapons thing".  All there is, is not blasting someone who is unarmed.

I think you are right, I may have been spoiled by machikos trilogy of novels where they are described as fighting worthy enemies with the same kind of weapons they possess unless in like "wartime situations" like when they enter a hive. The Youngbloods are allowed to just shoot everything but blooded and veterans hold themselves to a higher standard according to those books anyway.

And just to be clear there are a few examples of what I was talking about. For instance, the Jungle Hunter disarms himself of his plasma caster and takes off his biomask and fights Dutch in h2h. Wolf (for some reason) decides to disarm himself taking off his mines, leaving his spear, and once again taking off the biomask. A predator from the comic "Strange Roux" actually stabs himself in the arm to even the odds against his foe who was injured in his right arm. Celtic attempts to fight the Grid Alien with only his wristblades and fists even though his spear wasn't far away (though this might just be a movie convenient thing.) In the horrible comic Predator: Primal after an initial engagement with a bear ironically enough a warrior comes to fight it hand to hand in the comic's finale. I assumed it was part of the blooded warrior's culture to "fight fair" or as fair as they deem it so anyway.

Either way, I suppose it's a relatively minor pet peeve, i will be checking these books out either way  :)

SiL
Jul 22, 2020, 06:36:37 AM
Reply #535 on: Jul 22, 2020, 06:36:37 AM
Q
For instance, the Jungle Hunter disarms himself of his plasma caster and takes off his biomask and fights Dutch in h2h.
He also shoots Poncho in the head after he had a tree crush his chest :P

Wolf (for some reason) decides to disarm himself taking off his mines, leaving his spear, and once again taking off the biomask.
After shooting Aliens almost the entire rest of the film.

Celtic attempts to fight the Grid Alien with only his wristblades and fists even though his spear wasn't far away (though this might just be a movie convenient thing.)
His spear was buried in the stone and it probably would've taken too long to get it with an Alien trying to kill him.

Interestingly I'm pretty sure Steve Perry wrote both AvP Prey and Turnabout.

« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2020, 06:46:49 AM by SiL »

Xiggz456
Jul 22, 2020, 11:28:02 AM
Reply #536 on: Jul 22, 2020, 11:28:02 AM
Q
@Voodoo ya I agree that the Predator side of things doesn’t really need to be rebooted as the majority of stories are stand alone and really have no affect on one another. I’d actually be pretty bummed if they went the reboot route with Predator.

@Tichinde the Predators face off the bears with only their wrist blades in “Turnabout” however in “Primal” the Pred does indeed shoot a bear.

@Sil yes you are correct that Steve Perry wrote both “Prey” and “Turnabout”.

Voodoo Magic
Jul 22, 2020, 12:33:35 PM
Reply #537 on: Jul 22, 2020, 12:33:35 PM
Q
One additional podcast thought:

While I would love it to happen, there is just no way in my eyes Marvel waiting a year or more to do an Alien and Predator crossover within the Marvel universe. Like Conan of the Hyborian Age which is harder to infuse, I believe it will only take a few months, if not at launch, to crossover something Marvel with Alien and Predator unfortunately.

i'm going to step in here and say that i'm also not a fan of dots; sorry, voodoo!

@Voodoo ya I agree that the Predator side of things doesn%u2019t really need to be rebooted as the majority of stories are stand alone and really have no affect on one another. I%u2019d actually be pretty bummed if they went the reboot route with Predator.

Are you talking film? If so, I 100% agree, there is absolutely no need to reboot the Predator canon. The films are pretty much self contained, independent events. Each sequel has a sprinkling of brief references, but they are in no way required viewing like say each Alien film before it.

But in the first two completed volumes of the Predator Hunters comics, there are reoccurring characters from past series, but it's not essential knowledge. It's like Sean Keyes in The Predator. Predator 2 fans geek out because that's Peter Keyes' son, in fiction and in real life, but if you don't know that factoid watching The Predator, there is still no feeling of missing information. It's not essential to the plot. It's not essential in the way its presented. That's the way I'd like Marvel to handle the Predator comic lore. I believe it could even work for Alien too. :)

Xiggz456
Jul 22, 2020, 01:06:58 PM
Reply #538 on: Jul 22, 2020, 01:06:58 PM
Q
I’m talking the EU and I said the majority of stories are self contained not all. But even with “Hunters” there was still flashbacks to catch new readers up with the seasoned characters. So ya I’m hoping that it’s just more new stories as opposed to them making some kind of decree that it’s a full on EU reboot.

I also believe that there’ll be a Marvel crossover within the first year but I think of it as a promotional tool to get more Marvel fans interested in the new A/P/AVP series.

Voodoo Magic
Jul 22, 2020, 01:24:02 PM
Reply #539 on: Jul 22, 2020, 01:24:02 PM
Q
I’m talking the EU and I said the majority of stories are self contained not all. But even with “Hunters” there was still flashbacks to catch new readers up with the seasoned characters. So ya I’m hoping that it’s just more new stories as opposed to them making some kind of decree that it’s a full on EU reboot.

It's all how it's handled right? We get flashbacks of Mandy Graves history, and no new reader can tell if her story was depicted in in a previous comic or not. You can take her entirely as a brand new character that once encountered a Predator, or a previously used character that is reoccurring. It all comes down to presentation and loose connecting threads. That's the way I'd like to see it moving forward. Inviting to new readers, yet still loosely loyal to what came before it. :)

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed