New LA Times interview with Ridley Scott on Alien.

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, May 30, 2020, 05:07:44 PM

Author
New LA Times interview with Ridley Scott on Alien. (Read 21,495 times)

Kradan

Quote from: Stompy the Perfect Xeno on Jun 04, 2020, 10:33:51 AM
I don't know why he is still around this franchise aside of his big name.

That's it !

Nightmare Asylum

Ridley has no obligation to stick around if he doesn't have any interest. He clearly does–his interest just doesn't align with the interests of some groups of fans.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Stompy the Perfect Xeno on Jun 04, 2020, 10:33:51 AM
I saved money for Covenant so I wouldn't need to get used to it.  ;D

You could have bought ice cream instead.

Kane's other son

I wonder if the people berating Scott remember the state of the franchise in 2007 or would be happy with a reboot by some Blumhouse hack or a TV director for hire.

Huggs

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 04, 2020, 01:38:30 PM
Ridley has no obligation to stick around if he doesn't have any interest. He clearly does–his interest just doesn't align with the interests of some groups of fans.

And a sizable chunk of moviegoers, if Covenants reception was any indicator.

Drukathi

Drukathi

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 04, 2020, 01:07:22 PM
https://twitter.com/alexrwhite/status/1268510566215233538

Yeah, if Alex will be involved in making the film (and provided that his ideas will be used) - it will be 100% good movie.

He clearly does–his interest just doesn't align with the interests of some groups of fans.

Personally, I love the discovery aspect more than horror or action. I like "At the Mountains of Madness" vibes of Prometheus and Covenant.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kane's other son on Jun 04, 2020, 03:05:59 PM
I wonder if the people berating Scott remember the state of the franchise in 2007

I'd prefer the state of the franchise in 2007 over what it is now.

Huggs

Nobody will be able to make a difference if Scott has total authority.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 03, 2020, 08:35:17 PM
I definitely see it going in a direction that somehow David's mechanical components factor into the final development of the Alien (hence why they were purely biological in Covenant).

Yeah, Scott's PD, Chris Seagers said the biomechanical aspects are part of the story. And I also think that will most likely be introduced via David.

Seagers during an Alien Covenant interview:

Quote from: Chris Seagers"The aesthetic choices aren't just superficial, they tie into the larger story. "Technically, we're slightly earlier than the Giger stuff, a little bit," Seagers explained. "We're sort of edging into that. That's part of that whole storyline."

PAS Spinelli

You mean majority of fans and movie goers.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kane's other son on Jun 04, 2020, 03:05:59 PM
I wonder if the people berating Scott remember the state of the franchise in 2007 or would be happy with a reboot by some Blumhouse hack or a TV director for hire.

Separate from an either or debate, there has been some fine talent that worked with Blumhouse that I wouldn't mind giving Alien a stab.

Evanus

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jun 04, 2020, 07:41:23 PM
Very doubtful.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: David's Creation on Jun 04, 2020, 03:12:35 AM
Quote from: Letneper on Jun 03, 2020, 08:24:55 PM
But if David or Walter were the space jockey... Can an android get impregnated by an alien? I thought not... Although on the other hand, wouldn't it would be cool, if somehow David was able to birth an alien, sacrificing himself, and making something that is truly biomechanical?
The description of the pathogen in the Advent short film gave me the impression that the pathogen might be able to meld with inorganic material, so I'd be open to it.

Quote from: Letneper on Jun 03, 2020, 08:24:55 PM
Actually, wasn't that space jockey larger than the humans? I don't think Ridley Scott would ignore that fact and make it David.
Well sadly, in the commentary for Prometheus, Ridley acknowledged that there's a size discrepancy between the engineers and the space jockey, but he ignored it because he wanted an actor to play the engineer and be physically present with the rest of the cast instead of greenscreening him into the scenes. So he's the type of director to focus on one project at a time and make it the best he possibly can, but isn't as concerned with continuity between films in the franchise.

So if he gets another film, I do hope someone's looking over his shoulder and forcing his ideas to make sense in the franchise overall. Maybe Andrew Gaska can sit in on writing sessions with a cattle prod.

Isn't that how Covenant happened?

Quote from: Rabbit2100 on Jun 04, 2020, 12:14:13 AM
Ridley scott definitely should not be given another Alien film.

Hes a jealous old man who got sensitive when a young up and coming scifi director upstaged him with a project more in line with what the fans wanted to see.

I do want to see Ridley finish his film, but I also think the latter part of this statement is probably true.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Evanus on Jun 04, 2020, 08:38:08 PM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jun 04, 2020, 07:41:23 PM
Very doubtful.
How so? I recall the voting from here coming to the conclusion Covenant was at max a 6, which isn't good
Casual movie goers also didn't like the movie much, and from a boxoffice standpoint, Covenant did a bit over half of what Prometheus did
That's also not mentioning how turning the Alien into the child of a sexually frustrated robot is a direct downgrade of it's earlier vague origins

Evanus

Because what you see here on fan forums, and probably the internet in general, isn't a good indication of what global audiences think.

Covenant's box office was disappointing, but it wasn't a total disaster. It made some money and generally both films received pretty good critic reviews.

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jun 04, 2020, 10:21:15 PM
That's also not mentioning how turning the Alien into the child of a sexually frustrated robot is a direct downgrade of it's earlier vague origins
Subjective, really. Plenty of people like the thematic depth it provides, and I have warmed up to it as well. But if they're going to do another film they can always decide to go another way, as there's room for it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed