Author Topic: Are you a fan of Alien 3?  (Read 8442 times)

iain
May 08, 2020, 04:43:50 PM
Reply #30 on: May 08, 2020, 04:43:50 PM
Q
Love it and it was the first Alien film I ever saw as a kid.

Adam802
May 09, 2020, 06:17:42 AM
Reply #32 on: May 09, 2020, 06:17:42 AM
Q
Yes, Alien 3 is the last good Alien film imo.  Really has grown on me over time.  First 2 films are vastly better of course, but still. If anything, id want a new Alien film set shortly after Alien 3.

Gemini
May 09, 2020, 08:48:35 AM
Reply #33 on: May 09, 2020, 08:48:35 AM
Q
Yep- I think it's a great movie. anything was going to suffer in comparison to the first two which are basically perfect.

apart from a couple of dodgy effects shots, it still looks gorgeous in my opinion. love the setting of Fury 161 which has it's own feel.
also love how nihilistic it is for a Hollywood blockbuster. kill off the happy family from the last film? bunch of rapists and criminals at the dead end of the universe? no happy endings for anyone? wow.

the only entry in the entire saga which got anywhere close to the isolation and claustrophobia of the first film.

it was also the first Alien movie I was aware of, when it was actually being released. I was still too young to go and see it at the cinema, but I remember the hype, the video games and merch being released etc. I've got the Dark Horse movie specials here which I found in a comic store.

could it have been better? sure.  I realise that it was a mess to make, and even many of its strengths came by accident rather than by design.
I've also often thought that it doesn't even really know what genre it is. is it a horror film? not really. is it sci fi? kind of. but again not really (apart from the beast, is there anything here really integral to the story which comes from sci fi?)
it's not even really a prison drama haha.

Kradan
May 09, 2020, 09:12:27 AM
Reply #34 on: May 09, 2020, 09:12:27 AM
Q
Well said, sir

Number13
May 09, 2020, 08:09:19 PM
Reply #35 on: May 09, 2020, 08:09:19 PM
Q
I'm not I hate the movie mainly because they killed off 4 characters from Aliens
I just wanna say I agree with you. I never enjoyed Alien3, I've watched it many times, both theatrical and assembly, mostly because I can't get past the first five minutes. I don't enjoy Alien3, I don't watch Alien3, I don't own Alien3, and I don't want Alien3.

kwisatz
May 09, 2020, 10:05:19 PM
Reply #36 on: May 09, 2020, 10:05:19 PM
Q
Don't you like it a little bit?

OpenMaw
May 09, 2020, 10:18:37 PM
Reply #37 on: May 09, 2020, 10:18:37 PM
Q
Alien 3 is a beautiful mess. That's really what it is. It's a messy, messy film, but damn if it doesn't have some great film work in it, and some great performances. It's just got shitty characters, and does not really find the plot until you're halfway into it. Which is not a problem the previous two films share. Alien and Aliens start with distinct purpose and drive all the way through without losing sight of it. Alien 3 has to find it, and that is something that a lot of viewers have to get over before they can even begin to enjoy the film for what it is.

LV-12986
May 10, 2020, 03:20:38 PM
Reply #38 on: May 10, 2020, 03:20:38 PM
Q
I’ve watched the franchise from a very early age, watching alien 3 when I was younger always left me with the sadness of the loss of Hicks & Newt but the older I’ve got I’ve realised the franchise is not about walking off into the sunset, I’ve greatly appreciate the tone of the movie for a long while now.

Corporal Hicks
May 18, 2020, 07:37:15 AM
Reply #41 on: May 18, 2020, 07:37:15 AM
Q
Well he got that Renny Harlin timeline wrong.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 01:52:29 PM by Corporal Hicks »

Janek
May 18, 2020, 11:07:14 AM
Reply #43 on: May 18, 2020, 11:07:14 AM
Q
Yep- I think it's a great movie. anything was going to suffer in comparison to the first two which are basically perfect.

apart from a couple of dodgy effects shots, it still looks gorgeous in my opinion. love the setting of Fury 161 which has it's own feel.
also love how nihilistic it is for a Hollywood blockbuster. kill off the happy family from the last film? bunch of rapists and criminals at the dead end of the universe? no happy endings for anyone? wow.

the only entry in the entire saga which got anywhere close to the isolation and claustrophobia of the first film.

it was also the first Alien movie I was aware of, when it was actually being released. I was still too young to go and see it at the cinema, but I remember the hype, the video games and merch being released etc. I've got the Dark Horse movie specials here which I found in a comic store.

could it have been better? sure.  I realise that it was a mess to make, and even many of its strengths came by accident rather than by design.
I've also often thought that it doesn't even really know what genre it is. is it a horror film? not really. is it sci fi? kind of. but again not really (apart from the beast, is there anything here really integral to the story which comes from sci fi?)
it's not even really a prison drama haha.

Agree 100% mate, well said.

I absolutely love Alien 3... the effect it had on me when I saw it for the first time as a young lad still lingers with me to this day.

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed