Would you like a book entirely from the perspective of the Engineers?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 07, 2019, 08:54:23 AM

Author
Would you like a book entirely from the perspective of the Engineers? (Read 3,648 times)

SuperiorIronman

I would be interested but I would prefer it be completely alien to humanity. If they have to be a bunch of albino people in skeleton outfits then the culture at least needs to be a triple take to figure out what's going on.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Nov 08, 2019, 02:50:17 AM
I would be interested but I would prefer it be completely alien to humanity. If they have to be a bunch of albino people in skeleton outfits then the culture at least needs to be a triple take to figure out what's going on.

I prefer Space Jockey as something completely alien as well. But I still find the Engineers interesting for some reason. I don't know why, but I like them.

Quote from: SM on Nov 07, 2019, 10:25:51 PM
Not before Ridley finishes what he's up to (or a third David flick is definitively cancelled).

If we don't get a last prequel film I want both: a book from human perspective (like Alan Dean Foster's novelizations of Covenant) and another one from the Engineer perspective that tackle the end of David's journey and the bridge to Alien. I can imagine the rage of an Engineer after find all his civilization reduced to ashes. Then he go completely berserk and start a hunt for David's head. While the synthetic man may be not a rival for an Engineer, we must not forget that the dude is the creator of the Alien. Plus, He has thousands of guinea pigs and a couple of mini facegugger to continue with his science project  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Lol, I know nothing guys! It was just a wonder. Someone else mention the Halo series, and that's kind of what made me think of it. I love Greg Bear's Forerunner trilogy for Halo and was genuinely curious as to if there'd be any appetite for that approach with Alien.

Kradan

You saying you have nothing to do after what your role was into Gibson's Alien 3 comic ?

FenGiddel

None for me, thank you. Might we spare one franchise from spoiling all the mysteries, please?

The Old One

The Old One

The Engineer = the human race, although evolved in a particular direction, nothing to spoil if it's done right.
Especially if you included the idea their technology comes from an ancient race with ruins all over the homeworld.
"A number of xenoanthropologists suggest the Engineers based their biomechanical technology on creatures greater than themselves- strange beings of immense size replete with pachydermic probosci."

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 10, 2019, 10:40:23 PM
The Engineer = the human race, although evolved in a particular direction, nothing to spoil if it's done right.
Especially if you included the idea their technology comes from an ancient race with ruins all over the homeworld.
"A number of xenoanthropologists suggest the Engineers based their biomechanical technology on creatures greater than themselves- strange beings of immense size replete with pachydermic probosci."

I agree. I mean as long as they do it right, it should work pretty ok. Hopefully, someone follow that path to make a re-contextualization on the Engineer concept for future canonical installments.

SiL

Quote from: FenGiddel on Nov 10, 2019, 08:56:37 PM
None for me, thank you. Might we spare one franchise from spoiling all the mysteries, please?
I feel the mystery was spoiled the second it was revealed to be a pasty white dude in a suit. There's nothing left to spoil. It's just funny looking people now.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SiL on Nov 11, 2019, 04:27:09 AM
I feel the mystery was spoiled the second it was revealed to be a pasty white dude in a suit. There's nothing left to spoil. It's just funny looking people now.

Are you 100% agreed that the Space Jockey is an Engineer? I know that some just don't care anymore, but even accepting that the Jockey is an Engineer, it is not as like the recontextualization of such idea is impossible  :-\

happypred

Funny thing is...the Pilot in Alien is much larger than (and built differently from) the Engineer in Prometheus.

I know Ridley intends them to be the same thing but they are visually inconsistent

Immortan Jonesy

It's just the artistic vision, and maybe even artistic ergonomics too. Happens all the time. The queen of AVP is huge, and nobody complains. Anyway,  the new RPG is currently tackling the subject.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 11, 2019, 04:50:50 AM
Quote from: SiL on Nov 11, 2019, 04:27:09 AM

Are you 100% agreed that the Space Jockey is an Engineer? I know that some just don't care anymore, but even accepting that the Jockey is an Engineer, it is not as like the recontextualization of such idea is impossible  :-\

That's what Scott intends. Whether that is the direction we continue to go? Many of us are clinging to the Engineers imitating the Jockey's. And we're getting some licensed support of that with the excerpt from the RPG Fiendish quoted above.

FenGiddel

I can live with the Engineers being Space-Jockey-wannabes.

happypred

They worship the Jockeys as gods.

Jockeys created them, they created us. Each generation being inferior...

Still Collating...

Each generation being inferior? I think David would disagree with that...  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed