Alien Resurrection Re-evaluated

Started by The Old One, Oct 19, 2019, 01:16:49 PM

Author
Alien Resurrection Re-evaluated (Read 11,731 times)

Samhain13

Samhain13

Its team spirit for my boi Wolfie.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: razeak on Oct 19, 2019, 09:32:16 PMNot a bad sci-fi film. Just a terrible Alien film.

This. I've always enjoyed Resurrection on its own terms - I genuinely find it very entertaining - it's just a poor sequel to the movies before it.

Still Collating...

I don't really agree with most of his points in the video. The thing about the military being portrayed intentionally as unfit doesn't come across at all in the movie. He's reading into things that might not be there. It's not like in Aliens where they're shown overconfident and naive, only to later get their butts kicked and start panicking like crazy. That's a very clear critique about the army.

And he boils down legitimate critiques to a matter of taste like that doesn't matter. Then why do we even review movies at all?
If he can't find detailed explanations of why the Newborn design isn't liked by so many, then he hasn't done enough research.

I do agree that it's popular to really hate the less successful movies in the franchise. People do love having someone/something to hate. And yes, popular YouTube movie reviewers are definitely crazy biased and show extreme points of view cause they do live off of entertainment after all. BUT, lets not go overboard. Never insult an audience, the "masses" aren't blind sheep like the less fortunate like to believe. It wasn't super successful, critiques nowadays hate it (that's is profitable after all even when there are legitimate reasons), but I find that most people just don't like it that much. And when that's the case, there has to be a reason for it. People aren't stupid, when you make a good movie, you'll find your audience. It may not make enough money (like BR and BR2049) but it will become a cult classic over time then. That's not happening with A:R.

The points about Ripley's character arc are nice and I do love her portrayal in the movie, but that's only one part of it. It's everything else that's a mess to a greater or lesser degree. And the point about the movie being about outsiders? Yeah, that doesn't come across at all. It's not focused on that or developed enough at all. Then the way he says that if you've ever felt like an outsider, you'll like this movie sounds very arrogant to me (even if that was not the intention, it still sounds like "only the really special and smart people will like this movie"). And I couldn't disagree more with his opinion that the trilogy felt like it was missing something for the Ripley character and that A:R gives that. I, and maybe others, feel like that the trilogy rounded off Ripley's journey quite well, I don't care about the story archetypes even if it fits in well here (Ripley's story is more than just that, and if I'm not mistaken these women archetypes can fit in pretty well even with Arnold in the Terminator movies?). A:R started something new, potentially interesting and left it at that, we'll never see the rest of Ripley 8's journey.

And all of this I say as someone who actually really likes watching A:R. I recognize it has flaws, the Alien redesigns have more bad than good in them (I do like some aspects though of course), the camerawork is annoying, the humor and dialog just doesn't fit in well stylistically with the other movies (so much for a serious grounded universe) and I personally really don't like the crew of the Betty (though I have warmed up to them in time) and the story itself out of the bat is so redundant.
But also, the sets are beautiful, the effects are great, the movie feels really fun to watch, Ripley 8 is kinda awesome, I loved the crazy scientists and the universe setting it made wasn't too bad.

I used to watch it quite frequently, more then the other movies in the franchise at one time, because it just somehow felt more faster and energetic.

And yeah, A:R > AVPR (and I actually enjoy watching both)  :P   

razeak

razeak

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 19, 2019, 10:50:03 PM
And I think something is a good film or not, I don't believe in the categorisation nonsense, if it's a good film it's also "a good Alien film" whatever that means, just one that's unique.

A:R if viewed as just another monster movie in space is watchable. As part of the Alien saga it doesn't live up to anything that came before it by a fair margin. So its a poor Alien movie. It has the weakest score, weak humor, went backward on xeno design, weakest cast. It's a 5/10 at best in either category. Alien standard to me is quite a bit higher than that. Average 90s movie? Yeah, that fits. It's a bit more nuanced than just being a two way street. I watch it about 1 time every year or two to give it another shot. My opinion drops each time.

SM

SM

It's on a par with Alien 3.

The Old One

The Old One

Absolute nonsense,
Alien, Aliens and AlienĀ³ SE -all far superior. Covenant's just above the rest.

Local Trouble

Is AR better than Prometheus?

razeak

razeak

I just finished the video. It raised a few interesting perspectives, but he could have saved 20 minutes by saying white men are the problem and motherhood isn't worthy of anything extraordinary. He even insinuates there is some big connection with people disliking Alien 3 and AR because a woman had control over the film. Hell I never realized the minute I saw her name in the credits as producer.was the minute I started.to hate the film. Lol. Laughable.

My biggest contention is the Ripley didn't f**k the hive comment. She clearly didn't f**k the hive, but come on. It was intended to look erotic.

Local Trouble

As I recall, Gale Anne Hurd produced Aliens and was quite hands-on.  Also, as I recall, she was a woman.  Why didn't I hate Aliens?

The Old One

The Old One

I think AlienĀ³ is more of a refutation of Aliens' moral compass personally myself. I didn't remember white men being mentioned.

I think he's saying often when actors get involved in the story it can compromise the film from some people's perspective.

f**k all to do with gender. And I don't think he refuted it's intention to be erotic. You're basically criticising what you think he insinuates instead of what he actually says.

Local Trouble

If only CinemaSins would finally get around to doing AR...

SM

SM

It's certainly ripe for their particular brand of bad faith lazy hackery.

QuoteHe even insinuates there is some big connection with people disliking Alien 3 and AR because a woman had control over the film

He made an observation and voiced an opinion.

No need to exaggerate and make things up.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: razeak on Oct 21, 2019, 03:20:56 AM
I just finished the video. It raised a few interesting perspectives, but he could have saved 20 minutes by saying white men are the problem and motherhood isn't worthy of anything extraordinary. He even insinuates there is some big connection with people disliking Alien 3 and AR because a woman had control over the film.

That's cute.

Ingwar

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed