Aliens: Infiltrator - Weston Osche

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 16, 2019, 07:40:23 AM

Author
Aliens: Infiltrator - Weston Osche (Read 64,345 times)

Corporal Hicks

Indeed. Alien is rather generic, the Alien itself isn't. Honestly, I've no issue with the Alien always being on the cover. It's the quality of the actual artwork itself that I'm bothered about. Into Charybdis is a really good step back in the right direction of the Bantam days.

SM

SM

Just make sure you get the pronunciation right when you pod about it.  ;)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, that seems like a slightly daft argument. Some of the recent covers have been shit but not having an Alien on the cover of a book about the Alien doesn't really make much sense.

As naff as the novels themselves were, the DH Press books had excellent cover art and they all had the Alien on them.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Dec 18, 2020, 10:27:49 AM
Just make sure you get the pronunciation right when you pod about it.  ;)

car-rib-dis

SM

SM

Good lad. :)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on Dec 18, 2020, 09:38:31 AM
Possibly.  There's a ton of books around with 'Alien' in the title.  An Alien on the front immediately identifies it as an officially licensed product.

I think this was one of the upshots of the (mostly) 90's era ALIENS branding with the curvy "I". It was unmistakable, even on a spine. Very easy to skim a busy store shelf for.

Also bring back the sexy painted cover art.

SM

SM

Speaking of sexy cover art - searching for Alien books on Amazon - it's pec and ab city.

426Buddy

:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah I had that same problem on Amazon.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 18, 2020, 10:56:13 PM
Possibly.  There's a ton of books around with 'Alien' in the title.  An Alien on the front immediately identifies it as an officially licensed product.

I think this was one of the upshots of the (mostly) 90's era ALIENS branding with the curvy "I". It was unmistakable, even on a spine. Very easy to skim a busy store shelf for.

Also bring back the sexy painted cover art.

I actually came across my copy of Aliens Berserker that way.  I used to be in the habit of going into book stores and immediately scanning the sci fi section for new Aliens novels (and berserker came out a couple of years after the last installment).  I didn't see any with the face out, but just as I was turning to leave, I caught that oval I and found Berserker.

This was like 98 or 99.

I think Berserker might've been the last of the Bantam novels. 

Perfect-Organism

Boy did somebody not think Cyberantics through...

Rhino Alien

Rhino Alien

I do think the Alien is horribly generic at this point. I think Kenner may have been somewhat aware of this. You've seen the alien in movie ripoffs, and R-Type, along with oodles of other video games too. It's a great design, iconic and eternal, but it's become a setpiece for the most part. The Alien 5 concept art was top-notch nearly across the board, and David's sketches were incredibly intriguing. Not saying it has to go in either of those directions, but the ability to do something new and interesting is definitely there.

Even the simple Wey-Yu book was stark and alienless, on its exterior. And Colonial Marines, while not a work of art, was very clear on what it was without an alien, although granted only the WY book really dealt with them. I'm no artist, but just making a space station and slapping a WY logo on it would be an improevment. Maybe put some alarms or explosions or debris, on that or a small town or outpost or whatever. One of the things that made Alien great was that it did not show the Alien front and center, and sometimes I think authors or the people dictating what do that can write forget that Alien, as a franchise, when it's good, it's as much or more about the humans behave, react, and do to each other than the starbeast; as many have said, the true antagonists are the humans, either directly or behind the scenes, often both.

CnoEvil

CnoEvil

Im really rooting for this game!🎮👍

TheBATMAN

About 50 pages into Infiltrator. Some nice character build up so far. The accelerant is the focus of this right from the first chapter.

BlueMarsalis79

What term does it use to describe it?

TheBATMAN

Disspointingly... 'Black goo'

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed