A personal experience, i never found an explanation for

Started by Doctor Ash, Aug 18, 2019, 01:27:06 PM

Author
A personal experience, i never found an explanation for (Read 2,729 times)

Doctor Ash

I have read about the Mandela Effect and similar phenomenons before and i think in most cases it's simply false memories or something like that.

But sometimes i wonder, because something like that also happened to me during the early nineties, christmas 1991 to be exact. I remember watching the LOTR animated movie, which was broadcasted in Germany on television at that time. The dubbing was different to the one that was on tape, which i bought in 2001 when Peter Jackson's trilogy started. For example the names of the characters were the original english ones instead of the ones used in the german translation of the book (E.g. Frodo Baggins instead of Frodo Beutlin) which was used for the version on tape, Gandalf was dubbed by the same voice actor that was later used for Richard Attenborough in Jurassic Park and the name Smeagol was pronounced different than in the known version (Smeeegol instead of Smiggle).

When i watched the movie on tape i was really surprised at all the differences. First i thought they simply used another dub but i never found anything about another version on the Internet. Apparently the one on tape is the only one that was ever released in Germany.

What makes me wondering the most is the thing with the voice actor. I hadn't heard his voice before and when i saw John Hammond in Jurassic Park for the first time, all i thought is "This guy has the same voice as Gandalf" :-)

I hadn't read the books and didn't knew anything about LOTR when i saw the movie in 1991. Actually seeing it started my interest in reading Tolkien's works and made me a fan.

Another thing i want to mention is that i still have really vivid memories of that day when watched the movie. I played Super Mario Bros 3, which i got as a christmas present, on my NES and had a lot of fun with the game. The last level i played before watching tv was the fortress of World 2. In fact i was enjoying it so much that i missed a part of the movie. The first scene i saw was the Ringwraiths attacking Frodo.

When i watched the taped version a decade later, everything was the same but the voice actors, character names and some translations and pronouncements.

By the way the voice actor of Gollum/Smeagol in the version i saw on german television was the same one as for Toadwart in Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears, which i loved to watch as a child, instead of another one i'm not sure if i heard him before.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

Matriarch

Memories from your childhood are 50/50 I find. Sometimes the brain of a child embellishes or just remembers things wrong. I remember one movie from my childhood with that had an anime visual style and was cool as shit but when I found it later turns out it was actually in shitty 2000's Cgi graphics. I'd just chalk it up to wrong memories.

Doctor Ash

Quote from: Matriarch on Sep 07, 2019, 04:16:49 PM
Memories from your childhood are 50/50 I find. Sometimes the brain of a child embellishes or just remembers things wrong. I remember one movie from my childhood with that had an anime visual style and was cool as shit but when I found it later turns out it was actually in shitty 2000's Cgi graphics. I'd just chalk it up to wrong memories.
Yeah, might be. But this thing still keeps me guessing and wondering. Especially the thing with the voice actor for John Hammond, who i didn't knew before and recognized as the one for Gandalf and the different pronounciation of Smeagol.

As i said in my post i recognized everything as the same when i saw the movie again but not the voice actors and the different names and pronounciations. And i hadn't read the books when i saw the Bakshi movie for the for the first time and was really surprised for the different german names in the translated book when i read it around two or three years later.

But i shouldn't have been surprised, because according to the internet the dub on tape is the only one that exists and this version uses the german names.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

Deathbearer

Memory is unreliable. My cousin insists on things I don't remember so one of us must be wrong.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed