Should normal Aliens have the capability of moulting into Queens?

Started by Kenner_Alien_Kaste, Aug 06, 2019, 02:19:32 AM

Should normal Aliens have the capability of moulting into Queens?

Screw the facehugger, only moulting!
0 (0%)
Preferably moulting or growing, but Royal Facehugger is fine
2 (11.1%)
Either or works
8 (44.4%)
Only in certain circumstances can moulting work
3 (16.7%)
Stick with the Royal Facehugger
5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author
Should normal Aliens have the capability of moulting into Queens? (Read 13,791 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I don't care for the story myself, but I like the concept as you describe it. Countless, and very Lovecraftian indeed.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 08, 2019, 11:58:05 AM
I don't care for the story myself, but I like the concept as you describe it. Countless, and very Lovecraftian indeed.

It's kind of like a folk-tale of sorts; The survivors begin to forget as they try to forge a new life from the ruined planet. And over time, it works...they start to rebuild, even prosper a little, and the legends of monstrous beasts that dragged off innocent people in the night become known more as wive's tales....and then they return.

Also, Tyranids are awesome.

The Old One

The Old One

Absolutely.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 08, 2019, 01:41:24 PM
Absolutely.

Truth be told I'm half tempted to try and write a fan-story with any of my brainstorms-I don't know how actually good it would be or well received it would be, but it might be a fun experiment.

The Old One

The Old One

I hope the studio eventually utilizes the idea.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 08, 2019, 02:04:19 PM
I hope the studio eventually utilizes the idea.
I'm honestly not sure what they're gonna do

The Old One

The Old One

Nobody is.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 08, 2019, 03:25:18 PM
Nobody is.

SM's got a Fox connection so I've heard-Maybe they know what's up.

The Old One

The Old One

I doubt it, everything is being turned over I think. Rebuilt from the ground up.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 08, 2019, 04:00:02 PM
I doubt it, everything is being turned over I think. Rebuilt from the ground up.

I'm honestly excited for what that could mean-but as much as I'm interested I The new direction I do hope fans of the old series and my this aren't forgotten entirely.

SM

QuoteI'll admit it kind of is a bit on the complex side in all fairness, but I found it cool and a way to expand upon the Hive dynamic without deviating too much from the 'two-caste' system people seem to prefer. That, and the Aliens and their entire 'dynamic' and how they tick is complex as hell-A long and lengthy process to produce an egg to make a facehugger that has to find a host and produce a viable adult, not even getting into the different ways an egg can come to be, or who even gets to MAKE the egg given moulting and eggmorphing are all 'viable'. In my opinion, having bodyguards that are completely loyal to you and ensure your genetic bloodline survives above all else seems like a solid survival strategy, and no more complex than anything else the Aliens do.

But this seems like talking it up to be complex when it isn't.

Eggs aren't a big deal - the Queen lays them, or at a pinch a host can be morphed if we go down that road, which takes a couple of hours or so.

Adult Aliens come from a host in under 24 hours.

And there doesn't need to be a special caste of 'loyal bodyguard' when an normal adult can do the job.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: SM on Aug 08, 2019, 05:29:48 PM
QuoteI'll admit it kind of is a bit on the complex side in all fairness, but I found it cool and a way to expand upon the Hive dynamic without deviating too much from the 'two-caste' system people seem to prefer. That, and the Aliens and their entire 'dynamic' and how they tick is complex as hell-A long and lengthy process to produce an egg to make a facehugger that has to find a host and produce a viable adult, not even getting into the different ways an egg can come to be, or who even gets to MAKE the egg given moulting and eggmorphing are all 'viable'. In my opinion, having bodyguards that are completely loyal to you and ensure your genetic bloodline survives above all else seems like a solid survival strategy, and no more complex than anything else the Aliens do.

But this seems like talking it up to be complex when it isn't.

Eggs aren't a big deal - the Queen lays them, or at a pinch a host can be morphed if we go down that road, which takes a couple of hours or so.

Adult Aliens come from a host in under 24 hours.

And there doesn't need to be a special caste of 'loyal bodyguard' when an normal adult can do the job.

I was going under the idea of having a very large Hive that could be undergoing turmoil or interspecific competition (like how the red army was formed from defecting Aliens). And the idea of reverse-castrati xenomorphs seemed appropriately twisted for the job (strong workers that ensure your lineage stays safe and can't turn against you by becoming Queens)

SM

"Reverse-castrati" is the kind of thing I'm talking about with overcomplicating it.

The Genocide faction scenario isn't too out there because two new Queens rose at the same time to replace the departed Queen.

That aside - why would they compete?

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kenner_Alien_Kaste on Aug 08, 2019, 01:37:10 PM

It's kind of like a folk-tale of sorts; The survivors begin to forget as they try to forge a new life from the ruined planet. And over time, it works...they start to rebuild, even prosper a little, and the legends of monstrous beasts that dragged off innocent people in the night become known more as wive's tales....and then they return.

Sounds like Old One Eye.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: SM on Aug 08, 2019, 06:31:10 PM
"Reverse-castrati" is the kind of thing I'm talking about with overcomplicating it.

The Genocide faction scenario isn't too out there because two new Queens rose at the same time to replace the departed Queen.

That aside - why would they compete?

Y'know what you're right, this was a bit over the top. Thanks for talking me down from it. Sorry about making a mess of it.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 08, 2019, 07:16:26 PM
Quote from: Kenner_Alien_Kaste on Aug 08, 2019, 01:37:10 PM

Sounds like Old One Eye.

Old One Eye's awesome, but I always liked the Swarmlord (for obvious reasons)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed