Ideas for a Xenomorph Phenotype/Subspecies/Hive and its dynamics

Started by Kenner_Alien_Kaste, Aug 02, 2019, 02:37:21 PM

Author
Ideas for a Xenomorph Phenotype/Subspecies/Hive and its dynamics (Read 3,081 times)

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

I have been getting a tad curious as to how the Alien can adapt or evolve to different worlds or climates, with some even developing into entirely new subspecies that aren't fully reliant on DNA reflex-For example, the Tusked Xenomorphs, which had a different carapace than their mainstream carapace, colors, and more infamously their bug-like mandibles that are present even in chestburster form regardless of their host (example-Here one rips free from a human host https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/avp/images/9/95/Tuskburster.png/revision/latest?cb=20160327033734)

In this being said, does anyone here think or desire to see certain new subspecies or Phenotypes of the Xenomorphs that aren't fully reliant on DNA reflex to survive and adapt? If so, what do you suggest?

JokersWarPig

There was also the ones from that water planet in the original Colonial Marine comic. I can't remember if they used aquatic animals as hosts or not though.

SM

That's the implication.

JokersWarPig

An implication isn't concrete though, so its possible to argue they evolved that way because of the environment or molted into something more suited for that environment.

just my $0.02

Monster Man

Monster Man

A friend of mine DM'd a game of Pathfinder, using a module where the players are stuck on an island. Instead of being ordinary people, we were in fact creatures being transported around via boats which ends up marooned on said island. My buddies started as a simple snake and monkey, whereas I took the route of starting off as a Deacon-esque creature.

We eventually started adapting, gaining abilities that would help us thrive on this island. Slowly and surely I would gain the traits prevalent in all Xeno friends and then some even cooler stuff. In the end I always imagined my creature lookin' like this, with the idea here not to be THE alien but rather a branch on the same family tree (or genus?). 

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Aug 02, 2019, 11:58:11 PM
An implication isn't concrete though, so its possible to argue they evolved that way because of the environment or molted into something more suited for that environment.

just my $0.02

It basically bubbles down to different ideas for how the Alien can adapt to different environments or develop Phenotypes that don't require excessive Kennerization or DNA reflex (ie paler, fleshier subterranean aliens that are like Termites to be able to squeeze and burrow in underground caverns, more agile or even insectoid 'swarmers' like Paper Wasps or Locusts)

Quote from: Monster Man on Aug 03, 2019, 12:50:34 AM
A friend of mine DM'd a game of Pathfinder, using a module where the players are stuck on an island. Instead of being ordinary people, we were in fact creatures being transported around via boats which ends up marooned on said island. My buddies started as a simple snake and monkey, whereas I took the route of starting off as a Deacon-esque creature.

We eventually started adapting, gaining abilities that would help us thrive on this island. Slowly and surely I would gain the traits prevalent in all Xeno friends and then some even cooler stuff. In the end I always imagined my creature lookin' like this, with the idea here not to be THE alien but rather a branch on the same family tree (or genus?). 

That sounds really cool! I wish I could see this game myself-but yeah, that's also kind of what I mean. Sort of different members of the Black Goo family or what have you, or even how a natural Xenomorph would look (ie something born or evolved from the Black Goo rather than engineered would be cool, albeit I think the Deacon or something similar would be most accurate)

SM

just my $0.02

How is it not concrete?  It's a planet covered in water.  Aliens take on aspects of the host.  The Aliens are at the extreme end of the scale design wise - but it's pretty obvious they came from local marine animals.

Local Trouble

JokersWarPig

Quote from: SM on Aug 03, 2019, 03:15:48 AM

just my $0.02

How is it not concrete?  It's a planet covered in water.  Aliens take on aspects of the host.  The Aliens are at the extreme end of the scale design wise - but it's pretty obvious they came from local marine animals.

I'm just saying that not seeing an aquatic animal get face hugged gives you some wiggle room. Writers do it all the time, if the audience doesn't see it happen in one book/scene/episode then someone can expand on it however they like in the next one.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Aug 03, 2019, 02:05:28 PM
I'm just saying that not seeing an aquatic animal get face hugged gives you some wiggle room. Writers do it all the time, if the audience doesn't see it happen in one book/scene/episode then someone can expand on it however they like in the next one.

That's more or less what I'm getting at-What kind of different hives or phenotypes of Xenomorphs would you guys like to see or can think of? Something like the Sevastopol strain with giant smooth headed Warriors? A more diverse and fluid caste system like in Colonial Marines? The sky's the limit more  or less, and I wanna hear what you guys/gals/whatever you identify as are thinking of.

The Old One

The Old One

I prefer a more conservative approach.
A bipedal creature leads to a bipedal Alien. The majority of them discard the carapace because of the presence of the hive for stealth, depending upon the quantity. A quadrupedal creature leads to a quadrupedal Alien.
A Royal "Pure" type always exists for procreation.
All always close to the Alien/Aliens/Alien³ appearance.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 04, 2019, 04:21:52 AM
I prefer a more conservative approach.
A bipedal creature leads to a bipedal Alien. The majority of them discard the carapace because of the presence of the hive for stealth, depending upon the quantity. A quadrupedal creature leads to a quadrupedal Alien.
A Royal "Pure" type always exists for procreation.
All always close to the Alien/Aliens/Alien³ appearance.

That's more or less what I had been thinking, albeit with a few added additions or 'stock'

You could have a base Worker caste (ie normal smooth-headed Drones/Immature Warriors or the Albino Drones from the Aliens concept) maybe some specialized Warriors (ie long ranged 'spitters' that are parallels to Nasute Soldiers in Termites or formic acid sprayers. Giant 'Super Majors' in Ravagers or just really big Warriors. Maybe even a reproductive caste (ie Carriers or something similar)

The Old One

The Old One

I'm not honestly completely positive on the idea.
Much as I enjoy AVPE.

[cancerblack]

In my previous RPG stuff, I've generally just f**ked with the design to a greater or lesser degree, and flatly never explained it to the players in or out of character.

Any info they can find generally has more to do with observed behavior in captivity than in a natural environment, and is purely foreshadowing/tension building rather than an attempt to define castes or subspecies.

The players can draw their own conclusions if they want to, but they'll never get hard answers from me as the GM or from in-game documents.

Because ultimately my opinion is that once something is codified and has a hard/"real" answer, you've painted yourself into a corner. It's a lot more fun for me as a storyteller and a lot more tense for the players, if they never know what's coming next. Making a very explicit set of castes or defining conditions for adaptation damage that freedom IMO.

Monster Man

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 04, 2019, 10:26:24 PM
In my previous RPG stuff, I've generally just f**ked with the design to a greater or lesser degree, and flatly never explained it to the players in or out of character.

Any info they can find generally has more to do with observed behavior in captivity than in a natural environment, and is purely foreshadowing/tension building rather than an attempt to define castes or subspecies.

The players can draw their own conclusions if they want to, but they'll never get hard answers from me as the GM or from in-game documents.

Because ultimately my opinion is that once something is codified and has a hard/"real" answer, you've painted yourself into a corner. It's a lot more fun for me as a storyteller and a lot more tense for the players, if they never know what's coming next. Making a very explicit set of castes or defining conditions for adaptation damage that freedom IMO.

I like this. Show but never tell.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed