Anything about the first scientist from Nostromo?

Started by Drukathi, Jul 08, 2019, 08:58:56 AM

Author
Anything about the first scientist from Nostromo? (Read 4,912 times)

The Old One

The Old One

It's a detail I don't particularly care for honestly,
it's one aspect I actually prefer about the DC's editing of Alien.

SM

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 10, 2019, 01:27:55 PM
Quote from: Elmazalman on Jul 08, 2019, 11:23:45 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2019, 11:19:15 PM
Isn't that the idea?  Why take the XO and the whiny navigator?
Then you'd have no story. Ash, being a synthetic, wouldn't make a suitable host for an egg.

The prequels complicate matters but as far as everyone making the film was concerned at the time Ash didn't know there were eggs, let alone aliens, at the source of that warning signal. It could've simply been technology, or an unsalvageable wreck.

SO 937 mentions an organism, so they knew that much (even if it was whoever made the transmission).  I don't think the prequels change anything as such.

The Old One

The Old One

Advent does, though. If it's picked up completely.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SM on Jul 10, 2019, 09:07:37 PM
Then you'd have no story. Ash, being a synthetic, wouldn't make a suitable host for an egg.

The prequels complicate matters but as far as everyone making the film was concerned at the time Ash didn't know there were eggs, let alone aliens, at the source of that warning signal. It could've simply been technology, or an unsalvageable wreck.

SO 937 mentions an organism, so they knew that much (even if it was whoever made the transmission).  I don't think the prequels change anything as such.

Yeah, I get the feeling Ash was really supposed to return the organism making that transmission, i.e, the Space Jockey. Unless there was some deeper conspiracy and they knew about the Alien itself.

While the Alien itself would make a nice little biological weapon, advanced alien technology and possibly a live sentient alien would be something else altogether.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

Valaquen

Quote from: SM on Jul 10, 2019, 09:07:37 PM

True, but Scott did say (yonks ago mind you) that was no guarantee of there being an alien there, especially that particular lifeform. The order would be tripped whenever something extra-terrestrial was found. The idea being that the Company isn't malevolent and evil but negligent.

Of course we can disagree with Scott, but I like to keep it in mind. (I like Dan O'Bannon's assertion that "You will go insane trying to figure out how and why the 'company' set them up to discover the Alien." Because it was half-conceived and changed throughout the whole production of the film. They were writing new versions of the special order as late as December '78.)

SM

QuoteThe idea being that the Company isn't malevolent and evil but negligent.

Agreed.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: SM on Jul 11, 2019, 08:43:24 PM
QuoteThe idea being that the Company isn't malevolent and evil but negligent.

Agreed.

I like that idea.  Or that only certain factions, or individuals within the Company are malevolent, not the Company as a whole

SM

I don't think there's really anyone in the Company who's malevolent to the point that they actively want to murder fellow employees.  But they are willing to risk them being killed if it means a big pay day and they can get away with it.

The Cruentus

Burke was definitely willing to murder and Dorian definitely did commit it but obviously every company is going to have a bad apple or two. The problem is the franchise keeps presenting/showing these parts of the company to the point that some of us and even some alien media refers to them as malevolent and evil.

Huggs

I was about to say. Burke was definitely cool with homicide.

SM

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 12, 2019, 04:25:21 PM
Burke was definitely willing to murder and Dorian definitely did commit it but obviously every company is going to have a bad apple or two. The problem is the franchise keeps presenting/showing these parts of the company to the point that some of us and even some alien media refers to them as malevolent and evil.

Burke is a fair call - but for him it was a last resort to get an Alien and silence Ripley who was going to expose him.  It wasn't his first choice.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jul 12, 2019, 10:14:26 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 12, 2019, 04:25:21 PM

Burke is a fair call - but for him it was a last resort to get an Alien and silence Ripley who was going to expose him.  It wasn't his first choice.

Burke was going to kill several people though via the ejected cryo pods Ripley spoke of. Not to mention a child would also be impregnated and die. He went from stooge to serial killer at the drop of a hat. There was something wrong with that guy to begin with.

Samhain13

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 12, 2019, 10:32:03 PM
There was something wrong with that guy to begin with.

Mommy issues according to Bug Hunt.  :P

The Old One

The Old One

Really? Although yeah, I'd say the only one I buy being completely unhinged is Dorian Sulder.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed