If you had a chance to make a reboot of Alien

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Jun 30, 2019, 04:37:20 AM

Author
If you had a chance to make a reboot of Alien (Read 7,284 times)

Kimarhi

Quote from: PsyKore on Jul 02, 2019, 01:22:49 AM
A reboot sounds like a good option because it's a clean slate, which is always appealing, but how do you know it would be good? Considering the way the current industry is, it sounds just as risky. Personally, I don't think the original Alien needs a reboot. And I think Covenant is good enough to get a sequel.

Never know unless you try.

Also if it sucks it will just leave the series in the same status it is already in.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 02, 2019, 02:37:46 PM
A reboot sounds like a good option because it's a clean slate, which is always appealing, but how do you know it would be good? Considering the way the current industry is, it sounds just as risky. Personally, I don't think the original Alien needs a reboot. And I think Covenant is good enough to get a sequel.

While I can dig the Engineer as a separate entity from the biomechanical Space Jockey, and a creator/creation relationship similar to Engineer/Human or Human/Android; what you guys are suggesting is more like a retcon and not a real reboot. You kinda like or accept the Engineers as part of the Alien lore, but you just don't want to them to be the Space Jockeys.

Also if it sucks it will just leave the series in the same status it is already in.

Yup, it's not like the last instalment of the franchise was Alien, Aliens or Alien 3. So, I agree.

Also, I would like the Alien as the tip of the iceberg of cosmic horror. Maybe there are worse things there, who knows.

Kradan

"Reboot" for some reasons sounds bad to me.  :-\

TC

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 02, 2019, 03:57:21 PM
what you guys are suggesting is more like a retcon and not a real reboot. You kinda like or accept the Engineers as part of the Alien lore, but you just don't want to them to be the Space Jockeys.

I used to think there were just remakes and reboots. Things were much simpler back in the old days. Now there's these "hard" and "soft" reboots, I'm not sure I completely grasp the intricacies of it all.

The Westworld TV show meets my exact definition of a reboot. It has the same basic premise as the original movie, but beyond that it's a completely new narrative. The same with the newer 2004 Battlestar Galactica, and last year's Lost in Space. The Andrew Garfield Spider-mans and now the Tom Holland Spider-mans also qualify as unequivocal reboots: re-cast characters, re-telling of key story points (i.e. spider-man's origin), but mostly new narratives.

Imagine what the Alien series would be like if you had to rewrite the whole lot from scratch as an expansive and cohesive TV show structured more like, say, Game of Thrones, rather than simply splicing the movie stories together. Would you really start with the origins of the xeno? Wouldn't it make more sense to reveal that mystery at the end of the timeline?

TC

PsyKore

True.

Kimarhi

#teamreboot

[cancerblack]

Does making movies that have literally nothing to do with any of the previous other than the titular creature, space, and WY count as rebooting? Because that's what I've been wanting them to do for decades, and the prequels are honestly, pretty close to.

SM

I don't think they count as rebooting.  No Predator films continue a story from a previous film, but none of them reboot the franchise either.

Rebooting can also be starting a long dormant franchise again too - like Predators did.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: TC on Jul 02, 2019, 04:49:44 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 02, 2019, 03:57:21 PM
what you guys are suggesting is more like a retcon and not a real reboot. You kinda like or accept the Engineers as part of the Alien lore, but you just don't want to them to be the Space Jockeys.

I used to think there were just remakes and reboots. Things were much simpler back in the old days. Now there's these "hard" and "soft" reboots, I'm not sure I completely grasp the intricacies of it all.

The Westworld TV show meets my exact definition of a reboot. It has the same basic premise as the original movie, but beyond that it's a completely new narrative. The same with the newer 2004 Battlestar Galactica, and last year's Lost in Space. The Andrew Garfield Spider-mans and now the Tom Holland Spider-mans also qualify as unequivocal reboots: re-cast characters, re-telling of key story points (i.e. spider-man's origin), but mostly new narratives.

Imagine what the Alien series would be like if you had to rewrite the whole lot from scratch as an expansive and cohesive TV show structured more like, say, Game of Thrones, rather than simply splicing the movie stories together. Would you really start with the origins of the xeno? Wouldn't it make more sense to reveal that mystery at the end of the timeline?

TC

I'm not an expert either. These are probably just euphemisms and not real concepts (god damn millennials! I'm one of them, though :-X). Anyway, from my understanding a real reboot is like a reset from scratch, or as SM says with the intention of starting a new franchise. You can ignore the previous continuity, create new characters and stories and keep the Alien in them. On the other hand, the so called soft reboot is a story that recognizes some of the events of previous installments of the franchise. But at the same time; it contradicts, re-imagines or ignores other less acclaimed elements or events in different ways, such as: retro continuity or re-contextualization of previous lore. IMO, an example of this is the alleged Blommkamp's retcon over Alien 3 (which is kinda debunked now, but still): Alien & Aliens are being recognized, but Alien 3 is being contradicted due to the resurrection of Hicks and Newt. Also, it's an hypothetical soft reboot because it's not a fresh start from scratch, but more like an alternate sequel to Aliens.

I could be wrong, though  ;D   

Also, you are bringing good examples of genuine reboots, from Westworld to Spiderman.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 02, 2019, 10:57:46 PM
#teamreboot

#teammakethespacejockeygreatagain

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 03, 2019, 09:14:49 PM
Does making movies that have literally nothing to do with any of the previous other than the titular creature, space, and WY count as rebooting? Because that's what I've been wanting them to do for decades, and the prequels are honestly, pretty close to.
Well, supposedly they wanted to get away from the Alien and statements like:

"although the film shares "strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak", and takes place in the same universe, Prometheus explores its own mythology and ideas".

or

Damon Lindelof: "Ridley Scott and I talked at great length during the story process of the first movie about what subsequent movies would be if Prometheus were to be successful.  And I think that the movie ended in a very specific way that hinted at, or strongly implied that there were going to be continuing adventures worthy of writing stories.  What those stories would be would not necessarily usurp or transcend the Alien franchise as we saw it because we know that the Nostromo hasn't come along yet.  So the idea was to set up a universe that... Is it a prequel?  Okay.  If that's what we want to call it, sure. But the sequel to this movie is not Alien. The sequel to this movie is this other thing."

Seems to suggest that this was one of the original plans: create a new franchise. But Ridley changed his mind, and we got Covenant instead, wich it's not a bad thing by any means, and probably they never had a clear idea of ​​how to continue the Pormetheus narrative anyway, so  :P.

The Old One

The Old One

I wish they had a clear idea for Prometheus'  narrative in the first place.

Corporal Hicks

They did. Once upon a time.  :'( It had some issues but I still preferred Spaihts' scripts that we saw.

Russ

I'm in team Reboot with a TV series. I've always thought the universe itself was rich enough to have other stuff going on besides Xenos (dare I say Yautja here) to sustain a narrative over x-amount of seasons.

I've cited Event Horizon and Outland before, but the point is - if these were episodes in an AlienVerse show, would there be tonal eyebrows raised at how out-of-step they were with the established universe? I don't think so myself, but on the other hand I've read on here that the idea of an Aliens show that didn't focus solely on the Xenos might not fly.

I think it would, I'd love to see all those genres thrown into the mix - the cops, the soldiers, the spooks, the suits... it could be really cool

....(or it might end up as AvPs answer to Caprica).

SM

An Alien TV show needs to be centred on the Aliens.

An AvP show would provide a broader scope.

TC

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 02, 2019, 03:38:15 AM
You can make a great design if you want, but the Space Jockey was just a generic extraterrestrial being and the first victim of the Alien. It's just a prelude to what is about to happen to the characters, and no relationship between the two species is required. The Derelict is found stranded in the middle of space by the Nostromo's crew, near a strange formation of asteroids.
After the discovery of a pyramid-shaped symbol drawn by the Space Jockey, the crew leaves the alien ship and begin to explore the asteroid field. Once there, they find the fragments of the Old Ones' home world and an ancient pyramid.
Inside the pyramid everything is biomechanical in design, and Big Chap is a teenage/middle state, so to speak; of an intelligent organism. At the end of the story one can appreciate the final metamorphosis and shape of the Alien. But of course, the site "Alien Explorations" explained it better:
"Expanding on this in the original conception of the Alien race, the inhabitants of the planetoid are seen as tough and primitive, and with an extremely complicated sexual cycle. Reproduction was very difficult for them and had therefore become central to their religion. And this pyramid was a temple to reproduction. The inhabitants of this world had three entirely different stages in it's life-cycle which are featured as very stylised hieroglyphs on the wall of the birthing temple."
I'd only replace the octopus-like monster with the beautefull Giger's beast, plus the final state or "evolution" of Big Chap with Giger vibes as well, and the interiors of the temple with the biomechanical aesthetic. The true life cycle of the creature involves eggmorphing. The Queen is an abomination created with military purpose in a research facility by Weyland Yutani. The latter fits with an Aliens reboot, though.

Hey! That's cool.  :)

Now I'll have a go...

Here's a reboot idea, this one for a TV series. But first, some thoughts, following on from preceding posts:

Remember The X-Files? (which I think has been mentioned in relation to this topic before). Ultimately that entire series is held together by its mytharc, the story of the impending alien colonisation of Earth, even though there were many other side stories that filled out each season. And sometimes stories that seemed to be unrelated or only tenuously connected (the black oil, the bee virus, the secret cabal of scheming industrialists), turned out to be part of the mytharc after all.

An Alien TV show could follow the same format - the overarching storyline being the discovery of the origins of the xenomorph.

So even if there are episodes that don't feature an actual xenomorph onscreen, as long as their presence is there to motivate events and characters, I think it could still work. It might even be preferable to use the xenomorphs this way, because if every episode features the xeno then you run the risk of overusing them to the point where they lose impact (there's a reason why the Daleks only show up once per season of Dr Who).

OK. So in my imaginary Alien TV series, I'm going to make one of the new protagonists a bit like Sean Connery's Federal Marshall from Outland. (Maybe he could be played by William Hope, who played the Marshall in Alien Isolation.) From his office on Thedus, he has to field all sorts of mysterious distress calls and emergencies the likes of which he's never experienced before. This is because this region of space has only recently been opened to human exploration, and unlike every other part of the galaxy humans have visited, this one shows signs of having been inhabited by an intelligent, space-faring species at some time in the past. To assist the Marshall in his work, he deputises a Colonial Administration exobiologist called Dr Elizabeth Shaw. (And there I've got my Mulder and Scully of the show.)

To further spice up the story, I'm putting a reboot of the movie events into the background. So while the Marshall is dealing with a case of Working Joes running amok on some space station, he hears a report that one of Weyland-Yutani's space-freighter refineries just blew up. And in another episode when he and Dr Shaw are investigating a hibernation-ship that suddenly appears after being lost for 50 years, he receives a call for assistance from a colony called Hadley's Hope which is experiencing a sinister case of child abductions.

Into the mix I'll throw in the corporate warfare between rival tech companies Weyland-Yutani, Seegson, Con-Am and Tyrell, as well as the social upheaval of robot and AI technology, clones, and colonial tribalism. And I guess I'll chuck in a military story or two for good measure.

So there's plenty of opportunity for conflict and drama, requiring investigation from our stalwart heroes. And by the end of the first season, once you've added all the episodes together, I'll have Dr Shaw summarise the mytharc so far: that the xenomorph is an artificially engineered organism, seeded in this corner of the galaxy at some time in the past by a technologically superior alien race, for some mysterious purpose. What is this purpose, where is the alien race now, and are they returning any time soon?

And so to season two...

TC

Kradan

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 04, 2019, 06:04:05 AM
I wish they had a clear idea for Prometheus'  narrative in the first place.

You're demanding too much. Just enjoy beatiful images   ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed