Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 13, 2019, 02:32:05 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat! (Read 60,901 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 14, 2019, 02:30:33 AM
They need to update the CM design.  I realize this is classic 80's pop culture iconic design that everybody can look and identify, but they would not keep the same gear that long. 

That's one of the things I liked about AvP2010, it updated the Marine gear (and even referenced some of the in-development stuff mentioned in the USCM Tech Manual) but still kept it recognizable.

The Old One

The Old One

Tristan Jones did it better in Defiance.

Xiggz456

Knowing this drops in September, it appears that it will run until Alien day next year. Gotta love the influx of new content and on a side note, this month is going to be the only month of 2019 where we aren't getting any new Alien content. Definitely a sign of a healthy franchise if you ask me!

Kimarhi

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 14, 2019, 05:22:10 AM
Quote from: Nazrel on Jun 14, 2019, 12:18:43 AM
Is alien echos any good?

If its 8 issues, one a month. So we can expect game release around May to dummer next year, assuming the game releases right after the comics end

I think the Olivia character is going to work fine for people who haven't read Echo. If you can imagine a person who's been traumatized by the Aliens without needing to know all the exact play-by-play details, you'll be fine not reading Echo. Anything that's unique I'm sure they'll provide context on.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 14, 2019, 02:30:33 AM
They need to update the CM design.  I realize this is classic 80's pop culture iconic design that everybody can look and identify, but they would not keep the same gear that long.  Your adversaries adapt to your defenses and offense and thus you must finally change to throw them off kilter.

Kind of like the US military keeping the 5.56 for so long that Russia and China spent a fortune updating their troops armor to stop that round thus forcing the US military to start developing a weapon system that will use a different cartridge.

Plus, where are the other branches in the Alien universe?  The Army should at least be around talking shit to the crayon eating jarheads, and the leathernecks should be jealous of all the gear the Army is going to get 20 years in advance.

Not a bad point, but how long have people been making their own version of AK-47s? Sometimes there's a design that works for a while.

And what's the point of the Army? Seems like, in space, military forces need to be expeditionary, which the Army is not.

The Army has whole divisions that are expeditionary.   The army has more people in more countries than the rest of the military combined as well as the bulk of the us SOF forces.  This isn't going to change in the future.

The Marines are known to be expediotonary simply because they can't sustain a fight on their own.

426Buddy

I always find the strong rivalrys between military branches to be interesting.

Hudson

You're not wrong about being jealous of better gear. I was cleaning M16s with literal toothbrushes...in 2012!

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 14, 2019, 07:52:09 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 14, 2019, 01:16:02 AM
Maybe some day you can fit in some of those other guns shown in the Sulaco's armory in Aliens.  :)

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Aliens#Rifles

Modified, of course, to fit in with the likes of the pulse rifles and smart guns.  I'd especially like to see that Lewis gun in some form.  It'd make a good alternative to the smart gun for "stand-up fights."

I'm still hoping to see that Pulse Rifle-ish shotgun!

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.avpgalaxy.net%2Fgallery%2Falbums%2Fgames%2Favp2%2Fconcept09.jpg&hash=2e05784f1bdacfffcc0e5b7ddf65c892

Hell, I'd like to see a regular pulse rifle with a drum like that.  If a standard magazine can hold 95 rounds, imagine how many a drum can carry!

Kimarhi

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 14, 2019, 09:48:15 PM
You're not wrong about being jealous of better gear. I was cleaning M16s with literal toothbrushes...in 2012!

We had m16a1s when I deployed to Ethiopia.  Since for whatever reason their government wouldn't allow us to bring our own automatic weapons, we had to use their old ones.

It was full auto though and I would walk around in a boonie cap and a LBV like it was Vietnam. 

Reserve component Army is like a purgatory between Marine corps and AD Army.  You might get new shit right away, we got the m4a1s months before Fort Campbell did, and you might still be getting ACU pattern gear issued to you years after OCP became the official pattern. 

Perfect-Organism

Interesting.  Jumping on board thread.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 14, 2019, 11:57:03 PMIt was full auto though and I would walk around in a boonie cap and a LBV like it was Vietnam.

Did you hear Fortunate Son on a loop the entire time?

Perfect-Organism

So let me get this straight.  I am trying to piece this all together in my head canon in anticipation of the new game.  Alien: Echo leads to the new Aliens:  Colonial Marines series, which then leads into the new upcoming video game.  Does all this acknowledge Defiance / Isolation?  Is it part of the same new  Amanda Ripley canon chronology?

SM

Different storyline.  Olivia is the protagonist from Echo and the CM comics, which will eventually tie in to the computer game.

Kradan

I'm tired off CM stories. Just stop it. I love Aliens but please stop. To me it seems as they're just too scared to try new type of characters. No, we just throw some pulse rifles and kick xeno - asses and hooorah-hooorah! Colonial marines isn't all what Alien universe is about.

426Buddy

426Buddy

There are many Alien comics and novels that do not focus on the marines.

SM

It'd depend if Defiance counts as a 'Colonial Marines' story.  I'd say probably not, since it was just one marine - which would make the last Colonial Marines story the short A:CM tie-in.

Seven years ago.

QuoteTo me it seems as they're just too scared to try new type of characters.

This series features the main character from Echo.  A teenage lesbian.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed