Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 13, 2019, 02:32:05 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat! (Read 60,898 times)

Engineer

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Sep 10, 2019, 11:28:27 PM
;D

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 10, 2019, 02:32:16 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 10, 2019, 01:58:15 AM
I didn't say it wasn't a good idea.  I said I didn't see the point of doing a war movie with USCM unless it has them fighting monsters.

Ok, here are my true colors on the subject. A movie with Colonial Marines that aren't fighting monsters is too dull for my personal taste. But even if we were talking about a war drama, portraying them in a recognizable way, I don't understand why it has to be something completely separate from Alien. You can count it as a spin-off of the main series. I think it has a potential for a TV show; addressing war, corporate espionage, space colonialism and stuff like that. There should be some monsters, or some kind of nonhuman threat though. But overall, I don't see any reason whatsoever to completely separate it from the Alien universe. You just have to use recognizable elements of the Lore  to make it clear that this is not a generic or real-world military organization, but the USCM.

Alien movies are about space monsters.  Either use the space monsters or you're wasting the IP.

I dunno. Prometheus is a movie with new monsters, taking place in the same universe. Also, is a sister IP, but not something entirely unrelated. Actually, Prometheus was more successful than the sequel, which does have a pair of Aliens in it. That said, I don't think it would be a waste of IP whatsoever. You need monsters though, but by monsters I don't necessarily mean the Alien. Although you can release it for the ending, as Kimarhi has point it out, while thinking on a USCM story in TV show form.

SM

Which is why I said 'space monsters' and not specifically Xenomorphs.

Engineer

Honestly... I hate the term "xenomorph"
It's just a fancy name for "alien" which could literally apply to anything not of terrestrial origin.

The predator IS a xenomorph! There! I said it...

Sorry, pet peeve.

SM

It's the best way to differentiate different lifeforms in the series to shield oneself from the terminally pedantic.  Plus it's the most popular term among casuals for the Alien.

HuDaFuK

As I said when I mentioned the idea, I don't expect a USCM movie without aliens to ever happen.

But that doesn't stop it being something I'd like to see (even if fighting humans would probably show up some of the fallacies of their tech, like the Smartgun, which has never struck me as anything other than a liability in a situation where your enemy can shoot back).

Kimarhi

It would be unless it can track and engage targets further than the range of their incoming rounds.

If it didn't you have to be able to go prone with it, which the smartgun would not seem to be able to do. 

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Sep 11, 2019, 03:06:33 AM

Hey! I didn't want to say it, but since you insist, here is the shoking truth: Cameron's Avatar is secretly "Arcturian poontang" chronicles.

*The Matrix starts to shake*  :-X 8)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 10, 2019, 02:13:00 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 10, 2019, 12:57:12 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 09, 2019, 11:06:00 PM
You don't need the CM at all.  You just need the Army.

I want to see a riveting drama about them digging latrines and fighting boredom.

Dig latrines?  We just chuck or shit in the direction the enemy is coming.

Is that why the aliens in AR looked like that?  After all, Johner did say the USM were "Army guys."

SM

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 12, 2019, 04:39:28 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 11, 2019, 03:06:33 AM

Hey! I didn't want to say it, but since you insist, here is the shoking truth: Cameron's Avatar is secretly "Arcturian poontang" chronicles.

*The Matrix starts to shake*  :-X 8)

That looks suspiciously like a sentence and pretty sure it's in English, but I don't have the faintest idea what it means.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 12, 2019, 04:47:42 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 10, 2019, 02:13:00 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 10, 2019, 12:57:12 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 09, 2019, 11:06:00 PM
You don't need the CM at all.  You just need the Army.

I want to see a riveting drama about them digging latrines and fighting boredom.

Dig latrines?  We just chuck or shit in the direction the enemy is coming.

Is that why the aliens in AR looked like that?  After all, Johner did say the USM were "Army guys."

They were United Systems, not United States.  Inferior.

But yes. 

SM

They were Seppos though.

Kimarhi

Not necessarily.  Perfected English is just spoken by everybody in the future. 

SM

What about Vriess?

Kimarhi

Well when a frenchman tries to speak God's English he gets put in a wheel chair and develops a stutter. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed