Does this mean no more prequels are planned?

Started by Look into my eye, May 08, 2019, 11:30:51 AM

Author
Does this mean no more prequels are planned? (Read 15,192 times)

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SM on May 15, 2019, 09:37:50 PM
You couldn't make Aliens for $42m today. 

The last time they tried to make an Alien film for that sort of money - we got AvP:R.

When Blomkamp tried to raise money for a Firebase full length, I think the goal was 30 or 40 million.

He also said back then
"If we raise $40 dollars we will film a 'Firebase' cat video. If we raise $100 million we will shoot a 'Firebase' feature trilogy."

So I don't think it's impossible.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: SiL on May 15, 2019, 10:42:11 PM

The last time they tried to make an Alien film for that sort of money - we got AvP:R.
You could make Aliens for that price if you cut many of the same corners. I imagine a CG Queen today would be a lot more cost effective than two dudes in a rubber suit hoisted on a crane.

I still remember reading the behind the scenes of Aliens where they mentioned using camera techniques to emulate the long rows of sleeping chambers in the cryodeck due to their budget limitations. So it's more than possible. Though I have to agree, marketing has taken greater importance lately and that's taking a major chunk of the budget. Unless Disney goes for minimal advertising and just have faith that their tight script and good word of mouth is enough to bring the masses to the film. 

I know its not a valid comparison due to the genre, though Scott 'All the Money in the World' was done with 50 million production budget...that's with the 10 million dollar reshoots with the Spacey affair. That film looked great. Scott was able to lock down the places he had originally shot to redo most of the scenes. So the budget is there, though, like some have mentioned...the marketing budget is the problem.

Huggs

The cheap tubing and duct work of the juggernaut. :laugh:

SM

Quote from: 0321recon on May 16, 2019, 12:50:06 AM
Quote from: SiL on May 15, 2019, 10:42:11 PM

You could make Aliens for that price if you cut many of the same corners. I imagine a CG Queen today would be a lot more cost effective than two dudes in a rubber suit hoisted on a crane.

I still remember reading the behind the scenes of Aliens where they mentioned using camera techniques to emulate the long rows of sleeping chambers in the cryodeck due to their budget limitations. So it's more than possible. Though I have to agree, marketing has taken greater importance lately and that's taking a major chunk of the budget. Unless Disney goes for minimal advertising and just have faith that their tight script and good word of mouth is enough to bring the masses to the film. 

I know its not a valid comparison due to the genre, though Scott 'All the Money in the World' was done with 50 million production budget...that's with the 10 million dollar reshoots with the Spacey affair. That film looked great. Scott was able to lock down the places he had originally shot to redo most of the scenes. So the budget is there, though, like some have mentioned...the marketing budget is the problem.

With Aliens you have to build all the locations - internal and external - and pay the people to build them at today's wages.

Something like All The Money In The World or AvP:R can use existing locations.

A modern Aliens could save money with by using CG models for the Sulaco, dropship, APC, Gateway etc.  As they're largely static models, that don't need rigging as you would with an animated character.

SiL

Locations can be built affordably if you travel to places with good incentives, like Anderson did to make AvP.

Quote from: SM on May 15, 2019, 10:50:17 PM
Have a look at what the criticisms are, and I think you'll find more money would've certainly helped.
Most of the problems come from the script, and the script was being dictated by half a dozen people. Throwing more money at it wouldn't have solved anything.

QuoteBut a CG Queen as effective as the puppet on that kind of budget?
Absolutely possible. Look at The Host, which had a beautiful CG monster on a very meagre budget. If the shots are planned and staged carefully, you can get very good results on a lower budget. Especially if you minimise the number of CG shots you use.

SM

QuoteLocations can be built affordably if you travel to places with good incentives, like Anderson did to make AvP.

I was more comparing like to like - ie. if it was shot in the UK.

QuoteMost of the problems come from the script, and the script was being dictated by half a dozen people. Throwing more money at it wouldn't have solved anything.

Higher profile cast might've helped, and a higher budget might've allowed them to set it in space like everyone except John Davis wanted.

QuoteAbsolutely possible. Look at The Host, which had a beautiful CG monster on a very meagre budget. If the shots are planned and staged carefully, you can get very good results on a lower budget. Especially if you minimise the number of CG shots you use.

But could you minimise the CG shots for the loader fight?

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: SiL on May 16, 2019, 02:10:52 AM
Quote from: SM on May 15, 2019, 10:50:17 PM
Have a look at what the criticisms are, and I think you'll find more money would've certainly helped.
Most of the problems come from the script, and the script was being dictated by half a dozen people. Throwing more money at it wouldn't have solved anything.

Just like Alien 3, Covenant had plenty of scripts if the Reddit is to be believed (16 scripts) that were shut down by Fox. My speculation is every writer who took a stab at the script, they went too far in refining the story to the extreme of killing off the captivating elements of Prometheus (The Engineers and Dr. Shaw) that it killed the film and put the franchise on ice. Waterson couldn't pull off what Rapace did with the material she was given. If a final film is done, I do hope they have just one set of writers to write the script, though don't go overboard and over tweaking that they fix one thing and ruin everything else in the process like it occurred in Covenant.

SM

Daniels doesn't have any development and consequently isn't as interesting as other protagonists.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on May 16, 2019, 03:36:50 AM
Daniels doesn't have any development and consequently isn't as interesting as other protagonists.

You beat me to it.

0321recon

Quote from: Huggs on May 16, 2019, 04:04:19 AM
Quote from: SM on May 16, 2019, 03:36:50 AM

You beat me to it.

Yup! I didn't feel for her when David reveals himself to her in the end. I thought, sucks being you.  :laugh: ;D

Though, have it being Dr. Shaw instead, then yeah it would have been a gut punch, and most of the audience would have freaked out for her safety, and actually wanted another film to find out her fate. Though, it didn't happen and the franchise is on ice.

SiL

Quote from: SM on May 16, 2019, 03:23:24 AM
I was more comparing like to like - ie. if it was shot in the UK.
I was just going by the budget.

It depends on how like-for-like you want to get -- you reckon Michael Beihn is cheaper or dearer these days? ;D

QuoteHigher profile cast might've helped, and a higher budget might've allowed them to set it in space like everyone except John Davis wanted.
Higher profile cast wouldn't fix the shit writing, though. You'd just be having good actors reading awful lines. They had the money to set it in space, Davis didn't want to. Same with AvP.

QuoteBut could you minimise the CG shots for the loader fight?
You'd minimise the shots (or their complexity) over the rest of the film to concentrate on where they're needed. Like you said, spaceships and space scenes are relatively easy. The Queen scenes would take up the bulk of the complex, costly and time-consuming CGI -- and they're only in it towards the end.

Aliens was always low budget for what it was. They only pulled it off through ingenuity and careful planning. You'd do the same today.

SM

Biehn was pretty cheap back then, so tough call.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: SM on May 16, 2019, 06:54:09 AM
Biehn was pretty cheap back then, so tough call.

He got paid more for his likeness in Alien 3 than he did for appearing in Aliens right?

SM

SM

Yeah something like that.

Kradan

Quote from: 0321recon on May 16, 2019, 04:16:44 AM
Yup! I didn't feel for her when David reveals himself to her in the end. I thought, sucks being you.  :laugh: ;D

Her freaking out in the end after "big reveal" gives me some sadistic enjoyment every time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed