Does this mean no more prequels are planned?

Started by Look into my eye, May 08, 2019, 11:30:51 AM

Author
Does this mean no more prequels are planned? (Read 15,340 times)

Samhain13

Quote from: bb-15 on May 14, 2019, 09:06:49 PM
- Disney wants at least box office 3x the production budget.

Even AVPR managed to do that. So they just need to try a little.

Voodoo Magic

Its official, and where an Alien or Predator series would most likely wind up if they moved to television.

Disney Gains Full Control of Hulu in Comcast Deal
Walt Disney Co. moved to take full control over Hulu through a wide-ranging deal with Comcast Corp. , ending years of complicated ownership of one of the media industry's hot properties.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-to-assume-full-operational-control-of-hulu-11557839286

Xenomrph

So they'll have Hulu AND Disney+? Why bother?

I mean I know the answer is "so they can have all of the money" but still.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

You can do a lot with a limited budget depending on the cast and special effects team.
District 9 had an estimated budget of $30,000,000. It still looks good 10 years later. And better than many more recent, big budget movies.

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 15, 2019, 02:57:12 AM
So they'll have Hulu AND Disney+? Why bother?

I mean I know the answer is "so they can have all of the money" but still.

I thought Disney+ only shows Disney stuff. And all PG-13.
So they could use Hulu as an extra, separate competitor to Netflix. And get an extra income as well.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, Hulu will be for the non-Disney image properties. They want to maintain that divide. Hulu is US only, so unless they go worldwide with it we'd be seeing deals with NetFlix or Prime for distribution.

0321recon

Quote from: SiL on May 14, 2019, 10:27:13 PM
Quote from: bb-15 on May 14, 2019, 09:06:49 PM
- Disney wants at least box office 3x the production budget.
Literally every studio wants that for theatrical films.

You can make Alien and Predator movies for less than $80m. They always were before the last three.

I agree. Aliens which was the high mark in the franchise was made for 18.5 million adjusted for inflation in 2019...it's $42 million.

Disney can green light a project and get 3x the return its just knowing how to utilize that money from writing a tight script, and toning down the cgi for practical effects and if you want to throw in big epic scenes like being in the juggernaut, use models, build half size sets like Scott did for Alien and use kids with engineer prosthetics.

SM

You couldn't make Aliens for $42m today. 

The last time they tried to make an Alien film for that sort of money - we got AvP:R.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: SM on May 15, 2019, 09:37:50 PM

The last time they tried to make an Alien film for that sort of money - we got AvP:R.

I thought the budget was $75 and a toilet roll holder

SM

It couldn't stretch to the toilet roll holder.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: SM on May 15, 2019, 09:42:08 PM
It couldn't stretch to the toilet roll holder.

It could, we just couldn't see it.  Jokes aside, you're absolutely right, no way we would get a movie of the quality of Aliens for 42 million dollars.  The marketing alone would eat a huge chunk of that

SM

QuoteIt could, we just couldn't see it.

:laugh:

SiL

You could make Aliens for that price if you cut many of the same corners. I imagine a CG Queen today would be a lot more cost effective than two dudes in a rubber suit hoisted on a crane.

Kradan

I really doubt that Requiem turned out so trashy because of its low budget.

SM

Have a look at what the criticisms are, and I think you'll find more money would've certainly helped.

Quote from: SiL on May 15, 2019, 10:42:11 PM

You could make Aliens for that price if you cut many of the same corners. I imagine a CG Queen today would be a lot more cost effective than two dudes in a rubber suit hoisted on a crane.

But a CG Queen as effective as the puppet on that kind of budget?

Huggs

Quote from: SM on May 15, 2019, 10:50:17 PM
Have a look at what the criticisms are, and I think you'll find more money would've certainly helped.

A 75W bulb or 2 on set wouldn't have hurt either.

Thank God for the Blu-ray.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed