Alien Faces too long and mouths too big

Started by warneford87, Sep 27, 2007, 08:59:04 PM

Author
Alien Faces too long and mouths too big (Read 5,781 times)

SiL

Like I said, if they'd got a few key aspects right I'd be loving this movie. But they didn't.

The Chibi Kiriyama

Quote from: SiL on Nov 24, 2007, 03:38:23 AM
It'd actually be remarkably easy to make me happy with this movie, but noooo, I'm some big bad boogey man who could never like anything other than the originals. ::)

I always thought that with the third Alien film, ADI did a great job on that Alien. Granted, the transparent shell has a ribbed head underneath, but it was a detailed and menacing homage to the original...I don't see why they haven't been able to do that in the other films. I think ADI is seriously at the point where they could be cut from working on future films due to this stupid "improvement policy" that seems to go back to the originals anyway when they massively screw up like in Resurrection.

But then again, that'd require 20th Century to give a damn about quality...

Plokoon111

They do got a lot of good key aspects in this movie, nice alien heads, returning to the old screeching sounds, alien movements, the mood, so much great stuff!

The Chibi Kiriyama

QuoteThey do got a lot of good key aspects in this movie, nice alien heads, returning to the old screeching sounds, alien movements, the mood, so much great stuff!

This is stuff every film involving an Alien should get right. That isn't so much an innovation as it is giving the viewers what they deserve. You can retread the old as much as possible, but if you don't change a few things it stagnates.

That rings with irony when I type it...ADI follows the same principle yet they steadily make the designs B-grade, and even though Anderson's Alien vs. Predator was a creative abortion he at least tried to change things up.

Gremlien

I think they look alright, although I'm partial to the smooth-heads, as opposed to the ridge-heads. But, they both look pretty cool, and given that there is an explanation for the ridges, they make some sense.

Ballzanya

Quote from: Plokoon111 on Nov 24, 2007, 03:59:48 AM
They do got a lot of good key aspects in this movie, nice alien heads, returning to the old screeching sounds, alien movements, the mood, so much great stuff!

Those things are positives and I actually like the fact they are included in the film, but they are minor compared to the things that are f**ked up, like the predalien and the new reproductive cycle, which unequivocally is god-awful and nonsensical.

Plokoon111

THe pred alien and reproduction is not messed up? So add that to the positive list.

Hybrid PM

Some people just can handle change man its just a fact!

The Chibi Kiriyama

Oh, we can handle change. Most people like the quadruped-born Alien of the third film, and most will tell you the CGI Queen in Alien vs. Predator looked much more streamlined than the original. Our issue isn't with change. It's when the change looks shoddy, laughable, or generally ridiculous.

SiL

Change is fine.

Change for change's sake, and when it comes out look awful or pisses on what came before it, is bad.

Daweism

Whats the explanation for the ridges?

SiL

"It looks cooler in the earth setting".

Plokoon111

QuoteCGI Queen in Alien vs. Predator looked much more streamlined than the original. Our issue isn't with change. It's when the change looks shoddy, laughable,

No way, Tyrana queen rex doesnt beat the orignal queen.

"It looks cooler in the earth setting".

Did Colin or any avp r staff confirm that Sil?

The Chibi Kiriyama

QuoteNo way, Tyrana queen rex doesnt beat the orignal queen.

And her AVPR descendants are better simply because they have ribbed heads? The original Queen was sluggish and insectoid. That worked for the capabilities of the time, but everyone working on the Alien Queen in Cameron's film reflects upon it now as limited by the designs and mechanics of the time. Even Cameron mentioned that he would have liked to see what Giger could have done with the Alien Queen had he not had artistic pride over the matter (even though Giger later said he liked the Queen design).

Sans the giant raptor legs, the Giger principle of streamlining a design to look organic without compromising the biomechanical design was preserved with the Alien vs. Predator incarnation. Since the AVPR designs are marginally different in design from AVP (which, in turn,  are marginally different from the Queen design due to the elaborate emphasis on detail with the Queens), they reflect upon the Queen you don't seem to like far more than her predecessor.

I also doubt we would have all this complaining over the Predalien if it looked anything like Anderson's Queen, or at least ditched the PredaBoobies.

QuoteDid Colin or any avp r staff confirm that Sil?

I believe they did, in the mini-war over the transparent shell in Alien as opposed to the ribbed heads of Aliens and Alien3.

Plokoon111

Oh so he did. Interesting.

I did like the queen design, best thing in that movie besides the pred alien. But it reminded me of Jurrasic Park when the queen started to rampage down that hallway. It was just to big, I can understand that the ALIENs queen was 2 weeks or something old.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed