The Weyland-Yutani Report timeline plot holes

Started by Resident4ever, Apr 19, 2019, 08:27:10 AM

Author
The Weyland-Yutani Report timeline plot holes (Read 655 times)

Resident4ever

Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report, az in-universe written book. While I don't own a copy, but I am aware of what is written in it. I have to say, that if we use it as a canon soure, then it s pretty much render non canon nearly all Expanded Universe source material. First of: the thing with the United Systems. In the book, its written, that this goverment created in 2202, and the millitary arm in 2226. The problem is, that they are nowhere to be found in the EU (both in the old, or the new comics/books). Also, we know that the Interstellar Commerce Commision is the ruling goverment, they  are alive and kicking in the 2250's as well. Let's just assume that it's a slip of the pen and the United Systems created in 2302, not in 2202.

Also, the W-Y Report states, that the Weyland-Yutani born in 2099 via the emerge of the Yutani and Weyland Corp. What's the problem with that? Well, the W-Y already existed BEFORE that! AvP: Sand Trap, set in 2007, the first appearence of the W-Y logo. Aliens: Steel Egg: the W-Y existed in the 2040's. Given that in the game, Predator: Concrete Jungle (set in 2030) there we see the Weyland Industries (and not Weyland Corp, theay are two separate company) and the Yutani Corp two separate thing, So the W-Y must be created between 2030 and the 2040's (but the two company worked together a while in secret, as seen in Sand Trap, but only united officially after 2030). Either way, the Weyland-Yutani couldn't be created in 2099, because its already existed. My theory is very simple: the W-Y fall apart, or just renamed itself Yutani Corp again, in that way, the Yutani and Weyland Corp could emerge as a new Weyland-Yutani. In this way both the Alien: Weyland-Yutani Report and the EU material could be canon without contradicting each other.

Drukathi

Alien-verse is not multiverse with Predator and AvP.

There is no plot holes, because WY Report oriented on movie in first of all, on new books and comics secondarily. It makes no sense to accept all EU materials ever released.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Resident4ever on Apr 19, 2019, 08:27:10 AM
Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report, az in-universe written book. While I don't own a copy, but I am aware of what is written in it. I have to say, that if we use it as a canon soure, then it s pretty much render non canon nearly all Expanded Universe source material.

Yeah that was the idea. Around 2014, the EU was retconned, so WY Report only takes into account the original alien movies + EU material post-2014. Even then there are already contradictions, WYR says Weyland took over Yutani while Covenant Origins shows it was the opposite, but you can say the book is Weyland propaganda.

WY Report references events from the Titan book trilogy, its suppose to be the file that is handled to Alan Decker in Sea of Sorrows, but those books might have been retconned by Covenant, so maybe the WY Report is no longer in Fox's current canon. It also mentions Fire and Stone on their timeline, so Predators do exist in the WY Report EU.

Ahab is f**king canon.  :P

Aliens: Steel Egg: the W-Y existed in the 2040's.

Steel Egg takes place on 2058, said on page 15, the name Weyland Yutani is never mentioned on the entire novel, its only called the company, so as a headcanon you can think it was Weyland only.

Either way, the Weyland-Yutani couldn't be created in 2099, because its already existed.

Unfortunally since its fiction they can just write and retcon anything they want.

My theory is very simple: the W-Y fall apart, or just renamed itself Yutani Corp again, in that way, the Yutani and Weyland Corp could emerge as a new Weyland-Yutani. In this way both the Alien: Weyland-Yutani Report and the EU material could be canon without contradicting each other.

Wait so Weyland Industries merges with Yutani on the 2040s, then it falls apart becoming Yutani again, then in 2099 Weyland Corporation merges with Yutani and WY is born again. Huh that's a new one.

Voodoo Magic

Resident4ever

"Steel Egg takes place on 2058, said on page 15, the name Weyland Yutani is never mentioned on the entire novel, its only called the company, so as a headcanon you can think it was Weyland only."

The main event takes place in 2058, but it is mentioned that the Company already existed in the 2040's. In the "author's note" section (the first pages of the book), Shirley himself wrote, that this Company is = Weyland-Yutani.

SM

The WYR intentionally ignores everything that pre-dates Out of the Shadows.

Prometheus tells us that Weyland-Yutani did not exist at least until 2092.

Steel Egg doesn't factor into it.

Samhain13

Quote from: Resident4ever on Apr 19, 2019, 09:51:44 PM
The main event takes place in 2058, but it is mentioned that the Company already existed in the 2040's.

When? Got a page estimative? Don't remember seeing any "2040s" on it.

Quote from: Resident4ever on Apr 19, 2019, 09:51:44 PM
In the "author's note" section (the first pages of the book), Shirley himself wrote, that this Company is = Weyland-Yutani.

He implies to be the same as the one in ALIEN but its left ambiguos on the main story. Weyland Corp. is pretty much the same company as WY, the founder is considered the same, its the same company but with Yutani assets taken over according to the WYR. Headcanon isn't hard on this case.

Resident4ever

QuoteWhen? Got a page estimative? Don't remember seeing any "2040s" on it.

I can't give you a page number, because I don't have the number, I annotated the book many years ago and now I only have the informations now without the page numbers. Daryl Corgan and Nate Eusebius talks about their past, This is where we read about the war on Pakistan, where the Company stole a ton of money from the army. Also, later we can read about, that the W-Y wanted to attack the CANC by himself during this "cold war" period.

Given that Nate was younger (in 2058 he is 36 years old) and after the Pakistan campaign he got some PTSD and served in the army for a few years, then become a captain of a ship, we could assume that the war took place in the 2040's or the very early 2050's.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 19, 2019, 12:48:19 PM
Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report, az in-universe written book. While I don't own a copy, but I am aware of what is written in it. I have to say, that if we use it as a canon soure, then it s pretty much render non canon nearly all Expanded Universe source material.

Yeah that was the idea. Around 2014, the EU was retconned, so WY Report only takes into account the original alien movies + EU material post-2014. Even then there are already contradictions, WYR says Weyland took over Yutani while Covenant Origins shows it was the opposite, but you can say the book is Weyland propaganda.
That's how I spin the bulk of the book's content (and the Weyland Industries viral website, when 'Prometheus' was coming out). At best it's preaching to the choir and isn't really going for any true sense of "accuracy", at worst it's corporate propaganda.

The WYR also screws up the size of both LV-426 and LV-223, but oh well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed