Alien: Night Shift - 40th Anniversary Short Film

Started by aliens13, Apr 09, 2019, 05:24:37 PM

Author
Alien: Night Shift - 40th Anniversary Short Film (Read 28,582 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 14, 2019, 05:50:30 PM
I've said it before, the Alien films having female leads doesn't bother me, and I'm a dude.

The franchise kind of relies on the ensemble cast anyway. It's never really just Ripley or Shaw, etc. The lead almost changes by the moment.

The character balance is truly excellent. Plus, the male roles have hardly been lacking. Hicks, Hudson, Clemens, Dillon, Parker, Dallas, David, Andrews, Ash, Apone, etc. Even the avp movies and Resurrection had plenty of strong male characters. Us dudes, have been well represented.

I'm fine with the majority of Alien films with surving female hero leads, but once in a while I think it should mix it up especially when you're tredding the usual horror trope of the last female surviving and vanquishing the monster. Otherwise, it starts getting redundant narratively in a single franchise (unless your continuing a narrative with the same, reoccurring hero like Ripley, John McClane, etc.) Now let's add 6 new short films to the mix. Collectively, as the quantity of films increases, it eventually risks bordering parody, when the last person of a group always to survive is always a different main female hero no matter who it is.

That's the same reason why I was happy it was Lex in AvP on the Predator side, plus I was stoked to see Isabelle and Royce share most of the spotlight in Predators. Always featuring a surviving different hero Male is just as problematic to me. Mix it up once in a while!

Huggs

Not to be a stickler, but the final survivor of containment was the white guy, and night shift leaves us with the distinct impression that everyone there is doomed.

Predatorium

This was the worst one yet, lousy sound, amateur acting and execution. :/

Huggs

Alot of what killed this one could easily be solved by the old adage, "less is more".

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 14, 2019, 07:30:49 PM
Not to be a stickler, but the final survivor of containment was the white guy, and night shift leaves us with the distinct impression that everyone there is doomed.

1. In Containment you know the true hero is that great actress who heroically sacrificed herself and wrote "do not open" on the door. It's not always literally the last survivor who's breathing. We start getting nitpicky like that and we have to start including Anna in Predator. Same goes with the everyone there is doomed concept.

2. I know you're trying not to be a stickler, but you're being a stickler.  ;D

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 14, 2019, 07:50:03 PM

1. In Containment you know the true hero is that great actress who heroically sacrificed herself and wrote "do not open" on the door. It's not always literally the last survivor who's breathing. We start getting nitpicky like that and we have to start including Anna in Predator. Same goes with the everyone there is doomed concept.

Well, if I let SiL do it, it'll go on for 5 pages.

I'm saving you both from yourselves!

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: The Kurgan on Apr 14, 2019, 06:03:35 PM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 14, 2019, 05:56:17 PM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Apr 14, 2019, 05:31:05 PM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 14, 2019, 05:16:57 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 14, 2019, 02:53:52 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Apr 14, 2019, 02:25:16 PM
A Female lead is a submission condition.
No Male lead, no robot animal lead.

That's interesting. I didn't know that.

Was there any official explanation behind that condition?

The Force is female?  Wait, wrong franchise

The "Force is Female" shirt, had nothing to do with Star Wars. It was part of a Nike campaign for the celebration of the "Air Force One" shoe line and that they (and a couple of other companies) where celebrating woman who came at the top at their profession.

And now to the photo of KK. It was taken at the Archer Film Festival, an event aimed at young woman who are interested in the film business and want their future job in the movie industry. She was invited to speak at it because she is one of the most succesfull producers in the industry.

They are all wearing that t-shirt. Why? Because Nike was a sponsor to the festival (a festival organized by a school). What better way for a company to promote their line of shoes with a campaign about strong, succesfull woman, then at a festival that was aimed at young woman.

https://media.giphy.com/media/y62P0aQUYLYAg/giphy.gif

Sorry then. I have seen way too much people actually think it had anything to do with SW and get mad about it.

No dude, you were spot on, I've seen too much of the same whiny neckbeards complaining about it too.  It's all just jokes!

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 14, 2019, 07:56:09 PM

:laugh:

Just when I think I am the wise one, you reveal your long game and I realize I still have so much to learn. ;D

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 14, 2019, 08:12:28 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Apr 14, 2019, 07:56:09 PM

:laugh:

Just when I think I am the wise one, you reveal your long game and I realize I still have so much to learn. ;D

https://media3.giphy.com/media/26AHPxxnSw1L9T1rW/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5cb393ab505a4b7732eb4e88

It's like good cop bad cop, but I don't know I'm doing it.

Local Trouble

I kinda want to see Oats Studios take a crack at one of these.

Perfect-Organism

SM

Great tone and nicely shot and acted.  Chestburster was a bit of a let down though and the ending wasn't terribly satisfying.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Apr 15, 2019, 03:24:15 AM
Great tone and nicely shot and acted.  Chestburster was a bit of a let down though and the ending wasn't terribly satisfying.

What about the audio?

SM

What about it?

Samhain13

Samhain13

Well this was weak, the chestburster being beaten to death scene made me cringe. I'm interested on seeing the one that will have the grown alien but feel it will be as disapointing as the facehuggers and chestbursters. If the forcing of a female lead on every one is an attempt to milk that Ripley nostalgia its not helping to make it any better , well not even Ridley manage to get his Ripley wannabes to work so I can't expect fan films to have a chance.

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 14, 2019, 05:16:57 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 14, 2019, 02:53:52 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Apr 14, 2019, 02:25:16 PM
A Female lead is a submission condition.
No Male lead, no robot animal lead.

That's interesting. I didn't know that.

Was there any official explanation behind that condition?

The Force is female?  Wait, wrong franchise

I could see Ridley wearing a The Force is Synthetic shirt considering how much the guy loves David.

Quote from: Drukathi on Apr 14, 2019, 05:58:05 PM
Engineers creates xenomorphs, Engineers destroys xenomorphs. Engineers creates Man, man creates android. Android destroys Engineers. Android creates xenomorphs. Xenomorphs kill man..... Woman inherits the space.

Predators inherit the space.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 14, 2019, 07:16:44 PM
I'm fine with the majority of Alien films with surving female hero leads, but once in a while I think it should mix it up especially when you're tredding the usual horror trope of the last female surviving and vanquishing the monster. Otherwise, it starts getting redundant narratively in a single franchise (unless your continuing a narrative with the same, reoccurring hero like Ripley, John McClane, etc.) Now let's add 6 new short films to the mix. Collectively, as the quantity of films increases, it eventually risks bordering parody, when the last person of a group always to survive is always a different main female hero no matter who it is.

I agree. They are still too focused on Ripley like leads so its getting a little repetitive, trying something else might work better. Well at least Ridley tried something else with m'boy David, even if its... you know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed