Author
Headcanon (Read 7,307 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Apr 09, 2019, 09:03:43 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 09, 2019, 05:04:00 AM

"Official FOX canon" is a useless concept on the fan level - discussions can happen just fine without acknowledging The Official Canon so long as people are on the same page about what's being discussed, as SiL pointed out.
Or as SM said
Quote'People can still choose to follow it or not'
Well yeah, if he'd left it at that then that'd be fine; the problem is what he said after it:
Quote'Headcanon' is just a way of trying to make 'stuff I like' sound like it has some weight in the grand scheme of things.

Throwing in the caveat implying that people who choose not to follow The Official Canon are somehow inferior or unable to engage in discussions is, uh, well it sure is an opinion.  :-[

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 10, 2019, 03:31:13 AM
Throwing in the caveat implying that people who choose not to follow The Official Canon are somehow inferior or unable to engage in discussions is, uh, well it sure is an opinion.  :-[
That's, uh, certainly a way of choosing to reading that sentence.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Let's get ready to rumblllllllllllllllle!  ;D

SiL

SiL

Nah. Inferiority never came into it, and the "unable to engage in discussions" is basically what Hicks was saying -- it's fine to have your headcanon, just for f**k's sake don't go into a conversation where people are discussing Official Canon and start saying "Well I don't agree because this is my personal headcanon". It's unproductive and pointless.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Editing out some bits that in retrospect don't really matter.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 10, 2019, 04:08:18 AM
Nah. Inferiority never came into it, and the "unable to engage in discussions" is basically what Hicks was saying -- it's fine to have your headcanon, just for f**k's sake don't go into a conversation where people are discussing Official Canon and start saying "Well I don't agree because this is my personal headcanon". It's unproductive and pointless.
Frankly I don't think I've even seen people do that, nor have I seen any discussions that have been "all inclusive official canon" other than maybe the Literature board.

Ultimately the big takeaway is what you yourself said: as long as everyone is on the same page going into the discussion, "official canon" doesn't matter.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 10, 2019, 04:13:02 AM
How, exactly, would you read it? ???

Quote from: SiL on Apr 10, 2019, 04:08:18 AM
Frankly I don't think I've even seen people do that,
I've seen plenty. "Did David make the Alien?" discussions are particularly ripe with it.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

If you're trying to say that anyone who doesn't think David made the Alien is resorting to headcanon, that's definitely not universally true.

If you're not saying that, well, nevermind. :)

SM

SM

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 10, 2019, 04:31:53 AM
If you're trying to say that anyone who doesn't think David made the Alien is resorting to headcanon, that's definitely not universally true.
Considering the Official Canon is currently that he did make them, yes, they are.

This is exactly the kind of stuff Hicks was talking about. :-\

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Apr 10, 2019, 04:41:05 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 10, 2019, 04:31:53 AM
Considering the Official Canon is currently that he did make them, yes, they are.
No, there are Official Canon sources that indicate that he made them, and other Official Canon sources that indicate that he couldn't have.

As you and I have gone back and forth across a whole ton of threads, 'Covenant' offers one conclusion but that doesn't mean that conclusion applies to the franchise at large.

There's a world of difference between an Official Canon source, and one's personal interpretation of said source. In essence, everyone resorts to some sort of "headcanon" on some level, whether they realize it or not.

SiL

SiL

No, the Official Canon is that he made them. That is the story Fox is going with. That is the timeline they're currently using. It's not a matter of interpretation, it's just what they're doing. Trying to prove it's "wrong", even based on other canon sources, is still headcanon.

Again, you are very, very neatly demonstrating exactly what Hicks was talking about.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

And officially bored and frustrated.  Locked.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed