Headcanon

Started by Number13, Apr 07, 2019, 05:18:33 AM

Author
Headcanon (Read 7,324 times)

Number13

Number13

Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 09, 2019, 02:18:18 AM
Quote from: Number13 on Apr 09, 2019, 02:14:55 AM
Was I mean? I didn't mean to be mean. Sure I was a little crazy a long time ago, but I think I've grown, maybe I'm wrong about that too. I've just been taking a lot of heat because of my perception on the franchises and was just trying to end the conversation by saying "it's your proactive." Sorry. I just can't get a break.

No. I was talking about SM. He always brings up "The Official Sacred Fox Canon" everytime someones mentions headcanon/personal canon.

My apologizes, being one who is autistic, I'm always under the impression I'm doing something wrong.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 09, 2019, 12:41:40 AM
There is only the momentary current Fox canon. Official is whatever they are trying to sell at the moment.

SM

SM

Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 09, 2019, 02:18:18 AM
Quote from: Number13 on Apr 09, 2019, 02:14:55 AM
Was I mean? I didn't mean to be mean. Sure I was a little crazy a long time ago, but I think I've grown, maybe I'm wrong about that too. I've just been taking a lot of heat because of my perception on the franchises and was just trying to end the conversation by saying "it's your proactive." Sorry. I just can't get a break.

No. I was talking about SM. He always brings up "The Official Sacred Fox Canon" everytime someones mentions something about headcanon/personal canon. Mean.

Only because there's some moron touting 'there is no cannon' and then cherry picking what I say to suit their agenda.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: SM on Apr 09, 2019, 02:25:57 AM
Only because there's some moron touting 'there is no cannon' and then cherry picking what I say to suit their agenda.

Is that suppose to be me? No name calling please. That's against the rules. I hope you don't mean the OP.

I know there is a canon Fox currently holds. Good for them. There is an "official canon". Happy?

I just don't care about it. I can't take them seriously. Not at this point. If you can tell the guys at Fox to try harder.

Personal canon agenda? Is that a thing? Its not like I want to force people to follow my mindset.

Cherry picking what you say? I don't remember taking quotes from you and using it to defend my point of view.

SM

SM

By choosing to ignore when I say things like 'People can still choose to follow it or not' and focusing on "He always brings up "The Official Sacred Fox Canon" everytime someones mentions something about headcanon/personal canon. Mean."  it shows that you're cherry picking and not terribly interested in discussing in good faith.

Samhain13

Samhain13

The meanie thing was a joke. OP made a thread about personal canon, I didn't see the need you had to bring up Fox's canon to this thread. Its not the point of this talk and isn't that relevant considering their official canon keeps retconing itself. That's all.

SM

SM

I was responding to a specific comment.

More disingenuous cherry picking.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Uh maybe its my english but I don't get it. You were wrong about me saying there is no Fox canon and me having an agenda, whatever that means. You mention Fox's canon in many canon/continuity discussions, you say people can choose to follow it or not I get it, the joke was that you keep bringing that up in many threads where that is not point of discussion.

It gets tiring the whole Fox official canon thing and I felt you were acting a little condescending towards the OP, thats what I meant on that comment, saying people can choose or not to follow it doesn't change what I was referring to.

I am in good faith. I already said the mean thing was a joke. And I'm not the one resorting to name calling.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Apr 08, 2019, 01:42:56 PM
I agree with the above.

Look, if canon is flexible, that's fine. But on a discussion-by-discussion basis, there needs to be a guideline for information that is or isn't relevant. At the very least, canon should be a topic-by-topic decision so that everyone is on the same page and is using the same knowledge base per conversation.

For example, if I say " Taking into account the main series of Alien films, did David produce the Aliens?", people should know to leave comics, novels, games, AvP and Predator movies out of the discussion.

That reasonable?
Makes perfect sense to me. :)

Quote from: SM on Apr 09, 2019, 12:08:48 AM
QuoteBut it doesn't matter anymore, again, people can decide for themselves what is canon.

They can.  But it doesn't make it the official Fox canon.
"Official FOX canon" is a useless concept on the fan level - discussions can happen just fine without acknowledging The Official Canon so long as people are on the same page about what's being discussed, as SiL pointed out.
If The Official Canon is the be-all end-all of what matters, then I guess the people who dislike the EU are shit out of luck in movie discussions since that stuff is Officially Canon, even the things that (seemingly) contradict other EU sources and movies.

Quote from: SM on Apr 09, 2019, 12:48:16 AM
You do if you want to be able to converse with fans on various aspects.
No, you don't, as SiL pointed out. :)

Quote from: SM on Apr 09, 2019, 12:48:16 AM
'Headcanon' is just a way of trying to make 'stuff I like' sound like it has some weight in the grand scheme of things.
Alternately, "official canon" is a way to exclude parts of the community who do/don't like certain things by forcing everyone to think the same way. There is no "grand scheme of things" since it's all fiction, and "stuff I like" is literally all that matters. Is the Canon Police going to take my AvP DVDs away if I choose to accept them as canon? Like, what's the end game here?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 09, 2019, 05:04:00 AM
There is no "grand scheme of things" since it's all fiction, and "stuff I like" is literally all that matters. Is the Canon Police going to take my AvP DVDs away if I choose to accept them as canon? Like, what's the end game here?

Getting the infinity stones from thanos and use them to bring back Ripley, Hicks and Newt.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

That's a funny way of writing "snapping my fingers and turning 'Aliens: Labyrinth' into a movie".

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Can we stop making things personal please? There is no need to start picking on other members. I dont care if its meanie or moron, enough of it. I'm this close to just locking any of these kind of threads.

The bottom line is there is an official Fox canon.  It may change between releases but it exists, and you should be getting it at some point.

You have your own head canon that you want to apply to a discussion or your own creative work? Swell! Tell people at the start. No one is stopping you. It's only annoying when you come swinging that in peoples faces when they are trying to discuss things taking into account what you dismiss.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Naginata on Apr 09, 2019, 02:15:48 AM
I know this isn't technically a "share your headcanon" thread,
but since there's no other place to put the following thought, well...

My headcanon is that the Deacon is a Xeno who's really shit at being a Xeno.
Like, he can bleed acid, but it's only potent enough to give you a bad rash.
He can headbite with that big ole' jaw, but it'll just feel like a really strong finger poke. Building a hive is like...
He pukes up a bit of slime and wipes it on the wall. If he tried to pull off the "climb through the ceiling" trick from Aliens,
he would just end up getting stuck and falling through the AC duct. Then he would get up, trip, get up again,
and run behind a table; Ripley and co. would pretend not to see him out of pity.

He is bad at being an Alien, but damn it, he's doing his best.
Haha, Gold.

And Samhain, the Pathogen is perfectly explainable.
As is the electrical inferno, the rest? Yeah, headcanon.
Although the "Prometheus is Peter Weyland's personal yacht." Solves the technology anchronism.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 09, 2019, 05:04:00 AM

"Official FOX canon" is a useless concept on the fan level - discussions can happen just fine without acknowledging The Official Canon so long as people are on the same page about what's being discussed, as SiL pointed out.
Or as SM said
Quote'People can still choose to follow it or not'

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed