Headcanon

Started by Number13, Apr 07, 2019, 05:18:33 AM

Author
Headcanon (Read 7,321 times)

Number13

Number13

Hi, I've been here before and it didn't go so well, also I might have been a little crazy last time I was here. It's worth noting I'm autistic. Previously I've had arguments about what is considered canon in the Alien, Predator, and AVP universe, they were very heated and looking back I feel bad about that. But I think I've learned a little. But the point is, continuity and what is canon and what's not is subjective these days. Headcanon, fans of a series can consider what they want to be canon, they can decide for themselves what stories are the true stories, and if there are stories they don't like, they don't have to consider them canon. Same with novels, comic books, and video games. I usually go by the movies, because the problem I've reiterated was that when a new movie comes out, they don't research every story in the other media and don't do something because it contradicts them. But again, if they don't like the new movie that contradicts a comic book they like, they don't have to consider that canon. It's like the Halloween franchise, there are like three different timelines that series, fans can decide for themselves which is the true Halloween canon, and that's very empowering to fans. Maybe those who don't like how Ridley Scott's Alien prequels portray the Space Jockeys, and I've met some, don't have to go by those prequels. Again, continuity is subjective these days. Take me for example, I don't like Alien3 or Alien Resurrection, I feel Alien3 made Aliens pointless, so I don't have to consider it canon if I don't want to. And before you say it, I've seen the Assembly Cut, I didn't like it either, I don't want to get into a thing about my dislike for Alien3, that's not what this is about. I also didn't like The Predator all that much, because I think it introduced elements that didn't fit the Predator mythology. Again, I don't usually consider expanded stories canon, because when a new movie comes out, they usually retcon the other media. I don't hate those stories, I just go by the movies, it really depends. Like, I loved Alien Isolation, but if they make a new movie I like that contradicts Alien Isolation in some way, I'm fine with not considering it canon anymore. Like, Prometheus, seemed to retcon AVP, I liked AVP, but I liked Prometheus more, so Prometheus is part of my headcanon, while AVP is not.

But anyway, I didn't know any better back then, and I think it's fine that people can decide for themselves what they think is canon, it's empowering for the fans, people can have their own headcanon, and not just movies, comic books, video games, novels. Like take the fans of the original Star Wars expanded universe, maybe those who don't like Disney's Star Wars universe, can still keep the original expanded universe in their headcanon. But I don't wanna get into that either. Everyone can have their own headcanon and should be allowed to that. Thank you.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Thank you for the post, and I'll just say that I agree wholeheartedly. :)

Vertigo

Vertigo

Seconded; nicely written.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Hear! hear! And welcome back!

Whatever works for you brother. Don't ever let one of us tell ya differently! ;D

The Old One

The Old One

I think everyone needs an agreed upon basis for discussion, but everyone's entitled to their own headcanon.

SiL

SiL

I agree with the above.

Look, if canon is flexible, that's fine. But on a discussion-by-discussion basis, there needs to be a guideline for information that is or isn't relevant. At the very least, canon should be a topic-by-topic decision so that everyone is on the same page and is using the same knowledge base per conversation.

For example, if I say " Taking into account the main series of Alien films, did David produce the Aliens?", people should know to leave comics, novels, games, AvP and Predator movies out of the discussion.

That reasonable?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Of course when it comes to the actual topic "Headcanon", there is absolutely no guidelines or general consensus needed for one's headcanon.

SiL

SiL

Definitely. If the entire conversation is just "headcanon", go for broke.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Apr 08, 2019, 01:42:56 PMFor example, if I say " Taking into account the main series of Alien films, did David produce the Aliens?", people should know to leave comics, novels, games, AvP and Predator movies out of the discussion.

That reasonable?

You may get some pushback from you-know-who...

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Samhain13

Samhain13

For discussions it is whatever the OP wants. If he wants to include the EU, it is canon on the thread in question.

As for Fox's current canon it was suppose to include all the EU stuff published after 2014, but now with Covenant it doesn't work anymore. Fox's canon is flexible, they retcon and change their mind all the time, clearly they don't care much about canon, they just do things never thinking on the long term and like to throw the words like "official" to sell things.

Which is why people don't really care much about Fox's canon, their canon is whatever they are trying to sell to us at the moment. In 10 years the current official canon will be retconned anyway.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

;D

Hey maybe we shouldn't derail this thread. We don't want to send #13 packing again!

Headcanon. It's about headcanon people!

Number13

Number13

Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 08, 2019, 02:31:02 PM
For discussions it is whatever the OP wants. If he wants to include the EU, it is canon on the thread in question.

As for Fox's current canon it was suppose to include all the EU stuff published after 2014, but now with Covenant it doesn't work anymore. Fox's canon is flexible, they retcon and change their mind all the time, clearly they don't care much about canon, they just do things never thinking on the long term and like to throw the words like "official" to sell things.

Which is why people don't really care much about Fox's canon, their canon is whatever they are trying to sell to us at the moment. In 10 years the current official canon will be retconned anyway.

That was the very thing I had arguments with, I was saying the same thing to people about how the next movie will retcon the expanded universe. People thought I was crazy. But it doesn't matter anymore, again, people can decide for themselves what is canon. I mean, my simple rule with continuity is to include the stories I personally like, if it contradicts one of the better stories in anyway, then it shouldn't be included. Again, other people's choices of what is official is for them to decide, everyone can have their own personal headcanon. I don't really include a lot of expanded universe items, mostly because I don't venture that much into the expanded universe. But I do love Alien Isolation, and I recognize it as canon, but again, if they make a new movie that is actually good that somehow contradicts it, I'm willing to let it go. For example, I love the first ever AVP comic book, in my opinion that is the instruction book of how to write an AVP story. But I don't include it because human spawned Alien pop out of those, what are they called, Ryshi rhinos, because I like the element that Aliens take the features from the host. Despite the fact that I hate Alien3. Unless someone can explain how the Aliens birth from those creatures yet look like human spawned Aliens. It's even interesting how the sequel showed the first ever Predalien, which was probably published around the time of Alien3, yet they ignored the fact that in the previous one Aliens birthed from other animals yet were the classic kind. Though I do love the original Aliens comic books with Newt, Hicks, and Ripley, before they became Billie, Wilks, and android Ripley, but I guess I don't consider them canon because I wanted to write my own fan fictions of those characters. That's right, my fan fictions are part of my headcanon too.

We are presented with many different stories in many different mediums, which ones to accept and reject are for you to decide.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 08, 2019, 02:37:55 PM
;D

Hey maybe we shouldn't derail this thread. We don't want to send #13 packing again!

Headcanon. It's about headcanon people!

That's really nice of you to care. But after years of arguing with people online, I stopped caring what people think about me a long time ago. So far not as heated as last time I was here, but still young. One time on YouTube I got into a fight with someone just because I said I liked AVP more than Alien3, the original debate started with whether or not Bishop II in Alien3 was the descendant of Charles Bishop Weyland in AVP and was in fact a Weyland. Or was it whether Bishop II was an android or not? But again, nice of you care and I thank you.

Mr.Skinsuit

Mr.Skinsuit

In my headcanon all the films are a case of unreliable narrators guessing at unknowable horrors

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Number13 on Apr 08, 2019, 10:47:28 PM
Though I do love the original Aliens comic books with Newt, Hicks, and Ripley, before they became Billie, Wilks, and android Ripley, but I guess I don't consider them canon because I wanted to write my own fan fictions of those characters. That's right, my fan fictions are part of my headcanon too.

*virtual high-five* I feel the same about my own writing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed