Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PM

Author
Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership! (Read 81,011 times)

Magegg

Quote from: The Kurgan on Aug 24, 2019, 04:52:49 PM
Quote from: Magegg on Aug 24, 2019, 04:48:11 PM
A Covenant sequel won't bring any new fans into the franchise, I can make you sure that.

Neither will reviving characters from 30 years ago.

Not trying to hold on to past glories and do a new thing that can stand on it's own feet would be the best for reviving the franchise IMO.
Tell that to Disney and the $5 billions their movies have made this year so far by remaking properties like Aladdin and Lion King.

For most people, the Alien series ended with Ripley, the AVP and Prometheus stuff was not of their interest. I think the best BUSINESS idea is a 'back to the roots' nostalgia retcon-y sequel with the original characters everybody loved, and then use that momentum to move forward with new stories after that. Same thing Cameron (aka 'box office king') is trying to do with Terminator.

The Kurgan

Quote from: Magegg on Aug 24, 2019, 06:34:24 PM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Aug 24, 2019, 04:52:49 PM
Quote from: Magegg on Aug 24, 2019, 04:48:11 PM
A Covenant sequel won't bring any new fans into the franchise, I can make you sure that.

Neither will reviving characters from 30 years ago.

Not trying to hold on to past glories and do a new thing that can stand on it's own feet would be the best for reviving the franchise IMO.
Tell that to Disney and the $5 billions their movies have made this year so far by remaking properties like Aladdin and Lion King.

Surely there is a difference between mass entertainment movies for kids and bringing back 70 year old Sigourney Weaver for a character that is currently dead and has not been nonestop marketed to the relevant audience for decades like the former.  ;)

Quote from: Magegg on Aug 24, 2019, 06:34:24 PM
For most people, the Alien series ended with Ripley, the AVP and Prometheus stuff was not of their interest. I think the best BUSINESS idea is a 'back to the roots' nostalgia retcon-y sequel with the original characters everybody loved, and then use that momentum to move forward with new stories after that. Same thing Cameron (aka 'box office king') is trying to do with Terminator.

I doubt the characters have that kind of draw. Not after beeing away so long from the public eye and especially not as a tool to bring in new fans.

We will see how Terminator will turn out, but my money is on not great.

Magegg

Quote from: The Kurgan on Aug 24, 2019, 06:44:41 PMSurely there is a difference between mass entertainment movies for kids and bringing back 70 year old Sigourney Weaver for a character that is currently dead and has not been nonestop marketed to the relevant audience for decades like the former.  ;)
Most of the audience for Aladdin and Lion King was not comprised of kids. It was mostly young people (not children) and adults for nostalgia reasons.

Quote from: Magegg on Aug 24, 2019, 06:34:24 PMI doubt the characters have that kind of draw. Not after beeing away so long from the public eye and especially not as a tool to bring in new fans.

You can bring back Weaver or reboot and find a new Ripley. But I really think a return to the roots and characters people love is what the franchise comercially needs in this moment to be revitalized.

The Kurgan

Quote from: Magegg on Aug 24, 2019, 07:08:09 PM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Aug 24, 2019, 06:44:41 PMSurely there is a difference between mass entertainment movies for kids and bringing back 70 year old Sigourney Weaver for a character that is currently dead and has not been nonestop marketed to the relevant audience for decades like the former.  ;)
Most of the audience for Aladdin and Lion King was not comprised of kids. It was mostly young people (not children) and adults for nostalgia reasons.

I doubt that, but if you have a source, feel free to share.

Fact still stands, that the Lion King and Aladdin were nonstop marketed as Disney icons over the decade and never left the public eye. I know my 15 to 19 year old cousins have no idea who Ellen Ripley is.

They barely recognise the xenomorph. Sad but true.

Quote from: Magegg on Aug 24, 2019, 07:08:09 PM
Quote from: Magegg on Aug 24, 2019, 06:34:24 PMI doubt the characters have that kind of draw. Not after beeing away so long from the public eye and especially not as a tool to bring in new fans.

You can bring back Weaver or reboot and find a new Ripley. But I really think a return to the roots and characters people love is what the franchise comercially needs in this moment to be revitalized.

I really think you overestimate the draw her return would have, especially on a general audience. Even this site is divided on her return and we hardly represent the general audience.

Kimarhi

There is some appeal there.  Having Linda Hamilton and Arnie back for the new terminator as well as James Cameron attached for the story won't bring any NEW fans (the trailers and marketing will have to do that) but it will let you retain old ones.  The population of almost every country including the US is an aging one. 

It also worked with Halloween.

That said, I don't want to see that kind of soft reboot.  If you do a partial reboot you have sigourney for maybe five more years?  Then what?

razeak

Investors don't necessarily see "some profit is better than no proft" as something to invest in. It has to reach a threshold. They may then their nose up at say a 5 million dollar profit when considering the next entry in a series.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: razeak on Aug 24, 2019, 10:09:45 PM
Investors don't necessarily see "some profit is better than no proft" as something to invest in. It has to reach a threshold. They may then their nose up at say a 5 million dollar profit when considering the next entry in a series.

Could depend on the investors. For some the small profit could be a lot of money.

Magegg

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 24, 2019, 10:03:18 PMThat said, I don't want to see that kind of soft reboot.  If you do a partial reboot you have sigourney for maybe five more years?  Then what?
Doing the same they did with Nimoy in Star Trek reboot: having her around in a couple movies while introducing a new cast of characters, then the goodbye maybe or feature her in a cameo.

Kimarhi

Isn't the new Trek series on one of those indefinite holds.

Aka cancelled?

Still not sure that is the best way to go.

Think the only thing that saves the series from becoming a netflix throwaway is a completely fresh take on the franchise with a boot to the ass of all the lingering cast and crew who have just enough power and say so in hollywood to keep reinserting bad ideas.   Mainly Scott and Sigourney. 

There is NO WAY Disney would be happy with a five million dollar profit. 

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Magegg on Aug 25, 2019, 03:01:51 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 24, 2019, 10:03:18 PMThat said, I don't want to see that kind of soft reboot.  If you do a partial reboot you have sigourney for maybe five more years?  Then what?
Doing the same they did with Nimoy in Star Trek reboot: having her around in a couple movies while introducing a new cast of characters, then the goodbye maybe or feature her in a cameo.

They basically did the same thing with the new Star Wars trilogy.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 25, 2019, 05:59:41 AM
Isn't the new Trek series on one of those indefinite holds.

Aka cancelled?

Yes. After two mediocre sequels. The Force Awakens? Same thing. Now on a downwards trend because of mediocre movies. The requels will get bottoms in movie theater seats, but as with any series, requel or not, you have to make good movies to keep them there. Otherwise it all eventually gets cancelled, requel or new.

The Halloween 2018 was a wonderful success for the franchise. Well made and well received critically. I went to 8pm showing (20:00) and they were all mostly late teens / young adults there. Nobody who was old enough to be a 17 year old during the time of the first Halloween film that's for sure. New fans. The formula is sound, but you have to make a good movie. Otherwise you'll have a Terminator Genisys on your hands, which still managed to end its box-office run with $440 Million.

I say do the requel that Sigourney wants to do that continues after Aliens. Erase the bad taste in the general populace mouth after Alien3 and Alien Resurrection and get great buzz and press for doing it. Then continue on with Newt. It just better be a good movie.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

I don't think Halloween and Star Wars are good comparisons for Alien or Predator.

Star Wars is Star Wars. No matter what they put in the cinema for VII, people would have gone to see it.

Halloween is one of the most well known horror franchises. Horror always makes good money in the cinema, especially with the teens and young adults. Slasher maybe somewhat out of fashion, but still, you can always count on teens going into horror movies. With Jamie Lee or not. Most people, that are not fans, probably aren't following the story line between the countless sequels and the reboot anyway.

Genisys has Arnold.

It all winds up to: make a good movie. With Ripley or not. And I think thats easier without her or Newt.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Kurgan on Aug 25, 2019, 12:38:56 PM
I don't think Halloween and Star Wars are good comparisons for Alien or Predator.

Kimarhi was equating the great Star Trek requel and it's subsequent series of inferior sequels being cancelled after three movies, to something inherent to the requel. I was saying it's just inherent to making bad subsequent movies. Therefore Star Wars is relative to this conversation in regards to The Last Jedi reception decline, and Solo in general.

But I would argue Jamie-Sigourney / Michael Myers-Xenemorph has more comparative ties than you think.

Quote from: The Kurgan on Aug 25, 2019, 12:38:56 PM
Genisys has Arnold.

Which honestly means nothing, made evident after Arnold's string of box-office bombs leading up to and surrounding Terminator Genisys.

But Arnold in Terminator still has value. And so does Sigourney in Alien.

Kimarhi

I think the difference between the two is that Sigourney has way more pull in the Alien series than just about anybody in any of those other series and has a way of inserting her takes on the franchise that are both hit or miss, I'm guessing because she knew that studios needed her character to continue the franchise and she leveraged that need with inserting her own takes into the series.

Maybe not with Disney at the helm, but definately with Fox.  The same with Scott. 

I don't really consider new SW a requel because they didn't f**k up the chronology of the films.  They are sequels to the original trilogy.  Maybe if your talking SOLO and Rogue One...........but those are standalone films (which I think are better than the numbered new sequels but they took their lumps) that despite minor changes don't really mess up the continuity of the franchise.

Omitting whole chapters of the films like the Blomkamp and Sigourney proposed Alien movie was talking about doing is what Id consider a requel.

Thus Halloween is the closest to this option.

And there have been plenty of horror movie flops in movie history.  Horror movies don't guarantee box office success. 

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

True, not all horror movies make cash, but like Adam Sandler movies  they are pretty reliable  ;)

You guys may very well be right about this. It's just a gut feeling on my part and a heavy bias against the Ripley\Newt return of course.

Kimarhi

I'm am with you on the Ripley/Newt/Hicks return (as much shit as I used to give Cvalda for her prequel David love this is a horrible idea).

If its going to be a reboot, reboot it all the way. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed