Alien: Specimen - 40th Anniversary Short

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Apr 02, 2019, 07:11:33 PM

Author
Alien: Specimen - 40th Anniversary Short (Read 46,151 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Apr 07, 2019, 08:38:50 PM
But it underscores another fact that Alien 3 was Removed from the likelihood of reality.

What?

The film was millions of miles away from what would likely happen in real life, even factoring in all the requisite sci-fi trappings.

-unlikely that an alien egg would be on the sulaco.
-unlikely that the crew of Sulaco wouldn't do a multi-redundancy check for Alien life forms.
-unlikely that the EEV would end up on a prison planet which happens to be nearby.
-unlikely that the EEV would land right by the penal colony as the medic walks by.
-unlikely that the dog / face hugger interaction would have yielded the results in the film.  Most likely, it would have ended just like in Alien: Specimen.

Retcon it.

Huggs

It's sci-fi horror. Nothing about any of them would likely happen in real life.

Alien 3 was made. Its on film. Its a done deal. Has been since 1992.

It's never going away.

Samhain13

Lets not forget that ACM canonized Alien 3.

The Old One

The Old One

-There wasn't. There was stowaways.
-There was. They're unsuccessful, evidently.
-The ship likely redirected to the nearest inhabited planet as a result of the electrical fire.
-Incorrect. The Specimen situation- the target is artificial.
The Facehugger puts organisms to sleep by dispersing a chemical agent
when it attaches to the face meaning infection of humanoids and non-humanoids a non-issue.

The likelihood of her, out of 7.55+ Billion people, going back
AGAIN to fight or meet the Alien in any capacity is near nil.

It would actually be more likely that Ellen Ripley &Co go home,
perfectly fine and never hear from the Alien again.
OR
She gets f**ked over by an Alien whilst still in proximity to them.
I know which one better serves the series thematically, narratively and cinematically.

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 07, 2019, 11:05:17 PM
Oy. "I didn't find it scary" - Is that your quote? It certainly wasn't mine.
QuoteIn terms of not a single ounce of tension or horror was established, yes it was.
I mean I paraphrased, sure, but it is what you said -- it lacked tension and horror, ergo, it wasn't scary.

As for the posts above --

What does any of this short have to do with A3? ???

The Old One

The Old One

Nothing, just grasping at straws.

I actually desire discussion regarding Alien Specimen, it's throughrally excellent.
I loved the location exterior, and the interior environment's refreshingly colourful.

SiL

I liked how they used actual locations. I think they got more out of their budget with it.

The CG hugger was a bit cheap, but at least they showed the damn thing! I think having the hugger sounds always feel like they were right next to the character -- but her not reacting half the time -- kind'a took the edge off towards the end, and the sounds of the dog and hugger fighting could've been made to sound more aggressive or desperate.

The dog looked really good from my first viewing.

Do you mean interior on a planet environment? Cos every Alien film takes place in an interior :P

Local Trouble

So, is this supposed to take place during an era when the aliens are just another bug that everyone knows about?

SiL

The brief said it had to take its cues from the original film, I don't think it specified anything else.

The Old One

The Old One

No, I meant the garden environment visually. & The utilisation of the Alien amongst the foliage.
And no, I don't believe they knew what the Alien was, and aside from the Acid blood
the Alien Julie fought wouldn't seem all that remarkable, big ol' spider.

SiL

Aliens in foliage is something I've wanted to see for a long time, but it's not really present here. The hugger gets whacked into a bush and that's about it.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Apr 07, 2019, 11:45:11 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 07, 2019, 11:05:17 PM
Oy. "I didn't find it scary" - Is that your quote? It certainly wasn't mine.
QuoteIn terms of not a single ounce of tension or horror was established, yes it was.
I mean I paraphrased, sure, but it is what you said -- it lacked tension and horror, ergo, it wasn't scary.

Yeah, you paraphrased, sure, ergo using quotes was incorrect and bad form.

Here's another real quote of mine: "The editing, camera angles, were always counterproductive to establishing tensity." And it's my opinion.

SM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 07, 2019, 11:26:27 PM
Quote from: SM on Apr 07, 2019, 08:38:50 PM
But it underscores another fact that Alien 3 was Removed from the likelihood of reality.

What?

The film was millions of miles away from what would likely happen in real life, even factoring in all the requisite sci-fi trappings.

-unlikely that an alien egg would be on the sulaco.
-unlikely that the crew of Sulaco wouldn't do a multi-redundancy check for Alien life forms.
-unlikely that the EEV would end up on a prison planet which happens to be nearby.
-unlikely that the EEV would land right by the penal colony as the medic walks by.
-unlikely that the dog / face hugger interaction would have yielded the results in the film.  Most likely, it would have ended just like in Alien: Specimen.

Retcon it.

What?

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 08, 2019, 12:42:42 AM
Yeah, you paraphrased, sure, ergo using quotes was incorrect and bad form.
It was neither? I regularly use quotation marks for paraphrasing because on the forum if I wanted to do a direct quote I'd

Quoteuse the quote function

I don't understand why you're getting so upset about this? It's not like I completely twisted the meaning of your words or put up a straw man argument, I just paraphrased your exact wording and kept the meaning. If it bothers you so much I won't do it again ???

QuoteHere's another real quote of mine: "The editing, camera angles, were always counterproductive to establishing tensity." And it's my opinion.
Damn dude, I'm just trying to see if you've got specific examples because I'm interesting in seeing it from your perspective. Why are you so cagey and defensive about it? This is a discussion board, people are going to ask you to elaborate from time to time.

Whos_Nick

Both of the shorts with female directors were the strongest imo, Ore is coming soon

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed