Predators and skinning?

Started by Designation-Kurt, Mar 27, 2019, 04:33:47 PM

Author
Predators and skinning? (Read 6,430 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Don't remember if i've written this anywhere before but i find amusing the fact that "Shane" and "shame" sounds similair.

Poor Shane. He got so much shame.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 03, 2019, 10:03:40 PM
Don't remember if i've written this anywhere before but i find amusing the fact that "Shane" and "shame" sounds similair.

Poor Shane. He got so much shame.

Yeah, it does. I used to have a coworker named Shane.

Every time he'd say something dirty, I'd say "you should be ashaned!".

He was a good sport about it.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't know, regarding The Predator, Shane Black's usually good. I think Fred Dekker writing is a judgement error.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

I don't want to hate on the man. But... He is the director. He approves ideas. He has the final word. That's his responsibility. To direct actors and ideas and the story.

The guy said that the ending wasn't scary because it was in daylight. Shooting at night is not a savior for a bad idea. That's so naive. The darkness can help make something scarier. But it's not necessary at all. It's like he forgot he was in the original. So much tension there, in the middle of the day. When your antagonist has cloaking abilities, then the time of day is irrelevant.

Poor direction and even worse writing. Lots of people keep going on about how it's Dekker's fault, or Fox's interference. Yeah, they're all to blame, as well as Black. It's a three way mess. None of them got what made the original great. They all shoulder the responsibility IMO. All three were putting in their ideas, and were overwhelmingly not liked.

Dodgy ideas with extremely poor execution. (not meant to hate on anyone who likes the movie, if you do, more power to ya)
I haven't watched any of his other movies other than Iron Man 3 (and I'm not a marvel fan, I don't care what they did to the Mandarin, I just found the movie a bit boring). So I don't have the knowledge of how he directed and wrote his other ones, but that really doesn't matter. He failed here, along with so many other contributors.
The greatest surprise was that ADI's predator suit (Fugitive) got better since the last movie.

I don't find any excuse worthy here. I'm not going to let him off the hook for this and ignore the problems that he was a part of. Even for the alien prequels which I enjoy a lot, I have the same type of problems with Scott.

Rant over. Sorry for this people but never in a million years did I think I'd be so upset about a predator movie since I enjoyed all of the A/P/AVP movies up until now (to a varying degree of course). It was bound to happen eventually... I wish I could enjoy the movie like some of the folks here do, but I just can't.

As for the original post. I love the skinning. Really doubt it has anything to do with feeding. Scare tactics, humiliation and territorial markings would be my guess as others have mentioned.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

^ This rant is...

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Still Collating... on Apr 04, 2019, 10:29:42 AM
I don't want to hate on the man. But... He is the director. He approves ideas. He has the final word. That's his responsibility. To direct actors and ideas and the story.

The guy said that the ending wasn't scary because it was in daylight. Shooting at night is not a savior for a bad idea. That's so naive. The darkness can help make something scarier. But it's not necessary at all. It's like he forgot he was in the original. So much tension there, in the middle of the day. When your antagonist has cloaking abilities, then the time of day is irrelevant.

Right.  Cosmetic changes aren't going to truly make up for poor writing, nor circumvent negative opinions after the movie releases.  It's not enough to rectify poor judgement in story development, IMO.  If the writing begs to be re-done, then that might be where the changes must happen...

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I think we're missing the important question here - where was Jungle Hunter keeping the human skins during the events of the first movie? Like, were they folded up in a pile in a tree somewhere, waiting for him to come back to them? I'm not a real-life hunter, maybe I'm just ignorant of how one retrieves and stores pelts before people do... whatever it is they do to them after they cut them off the dead animal's body.

I think Predator skinning gets more interesting when you introduce AvP into the mix, specifically 'AvP: Requiem'. Not only does Wolf skin people when it doesn't entirely make sense to do so given his very time-sensitive mission (although you could argue that leaving skinned bodies around is a pretty spooky "STAY AWAY FROM THIS AREA" tactic, but humans tend to investigate murder scenes, not leave them alone), in the unrated cut we can (briefly) see that the Predalien skins things, too.
That makes me think it's almost some kind of instinctual response on some level, something hard-coded into Predator DNA in the way humans getting goosebumps is, or something like that. Skinning victims is something they're just... compelled to do, and it doesn't necessarily have a rational explanation behind it.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 01, 2019, 10:11:02 AM
I think we're missing the important question here - where was Jungle Hunter keeping the human skins during the events of the first movie? Like, were they folded up in a pile in a tree somewhere, waiting for him to come back to them?

Probably. The Predator establishes a "camp" and keeps the skins with the skulls, or in a cloaked ship nearby.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 01, 2019, 01:12:37 PM
I think we're missing the important question here - where was Jungle Hunter keeping the human skins during the events of the first movie? Like, were they folded up in a pile in a tree somewhere, waiting for him to come back to them?

Probably. The Predator establishes a "camp" and keeps the skins with the skulls, or in a cloaked ship nearby.

Speaking of the ship, assuming it didn't get taken out in the self-destruct blast, I'm picturing the ship still sitting out in the jungle, still cloaked, and every once in a while someone (physically) bumps into it and just goes "What the f**k?" and doesn't understand what's going on or what to do about it.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 01, 2019, 01:19:54 PM

Speaking of the ship, assuming it didn't get taken out in the self-destruct blast, I'm picturing the ship still sitting out in the jungle, still cloaked, and every once in a while someone (physically) bumps into it and just goes "What the f**k?" and doesn't understand what's going on or what to do about it.

Or at least some animals bump into it. Though, depending on where it landed, I can visualize a reality where no humans have ever crossed its path.

I wonder how long the ship's powercell can keep the camouflage running? And does rain interfere with a ship's cloaking too?  Ultimately I would assume Wolf or some other Yautja returned to the scene, and either retrieved or destroyed the ship.

Or maybe it was already close enough to the Jungle Hunter's self destruct blast radius already.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

In regards to Wolf there is a couple of reasons why that would make sense
1. Stay out. which would deter some locals from investigating further.
2. Attracting potential hosts who do show At this point in Requiem Wolf doesn't know (nor does he ever find out I don't think) how the Predalien propagates and there is only so many facehuggers potentially still out in the woods. So if you just let the facehuggers do their thing then you can account for the available Aliens.
3. Wolf didn't need to and did anyways He took out the witness but he's pretty much flayed by morning meaning that while he is on a time sensitive mission, it simply doesn't take a Predator too long to skin and string people up. That's also supported by Predator 2 where between the penthouse and Harrigan's arrival it didn't take too terribly long to do that to almost everybody.

In regards to Jungle Hunter's ship, we know that Predator craft can be fairly small, they're also submersible so it could be in a river or lake somewhere in Val Verde. Although I think the novelization of Predator 2 (I don't know if I remember correctly or how canon it is) said that the ship returned to the home world on auto-pilot after he died. Although if not my headcannon is that the self-destruct is part distress signal part bomb where it could be some two-part code. The first part tells the homeworld and cleaners things hit the fan and the last part removes evidence from the immediate scene. I'd imagine somebody does come looking to make sure the hunting ground is still good enough though.

SM

SM

Those reasons only make sense if:
1. Wolf is thick.
2. Wolf forgot he can track the Aliens.
3. Wolf doesn't take his job seriously.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

I think he / it did in the tie-in novelisation?

SiL

SiL

The film originally ended at the Predator's campsite.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on May 01, 2019, 08:54:44 PM
Those reasons only make sense if:
1. Wolf is thick.
2. Wolf forgot he can track the Aliens.
3. Wolf doesn't take his job seriously.
That's why I think it's more of an instinctual compulsion on the Predator's part, which would also explain why the Predalien did it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed