Did you feel Alien Universe better before Prometheus?

Started by Drukathi, Mar 24, 2019, 11:08:41 AM

Did you feel?

Yes.
41 (47.7%)
No.
45 (52.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author
Did you feel Alien Universe better before Prometheus? (Read 33,517 times)

CristianoRonaldo7

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 18, 2019, 01:31:09 PM
Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Apr 18, 2019, 01:19:26 PM
Quote from: CristianoRonaldo7 on Apr 18, 2019, 01:02:21 AM
Prometheus is my favorite Alien movie ever so No.

I finally found one :D

The second in my case. I remember someone at Scified who preferred Prometheus over Alien.  In fact, I think she also valued Alien Resurrection over Alien.
I'm not that person. I hate Alien 4. I even prefer AvP 1 over Resurrection.

Nostromo

Did I feel?

Ughh Excuse me sir, a, a, a what?

Nightmare Asylum

Alien Resurrection has some problems as an Alien film, but it is a pretty damn entertaining schlocky sci-fi film and it plays up some of the franchise's core themes in some interesting and new ways (despite totally missing the franchise's predominant tone).

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Nostromo on Apr 20, 2019, 01:02:30 PM
Did I feel?

Did you FEEL?

Huggs

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 20, 2019, 11:17:28 PM
Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Apr 20, 2019, 10:48:04 PM
Did I feel?

Did you FEEL?

Like I do?

Oh, come on, Mr. Frampton. You're not gonna eat all that watermelon.

Huggs

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Apr 20, 2019, 11:46:00 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Apr 20, 2019, 11:17:28 PM
Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Apr 20, 2019, 10:48:04 PM
Did I feel?

Did you FEEL?

Like I do?

Oh, come on, Mr. Frampton. You're not gonna eat all that watermelon.

Where the hell did I dine?

Corporal Hicks

Gash

No. It's largely much better after the prequels. I didn't feel it much before.

bb-15

What is the Alien Universe?
Is it like a B movie horror franchise? (Like "Halloween" which has 11 slasher films or "Friday the 13th" which as 12? Only set in space?)
Some want it to be this way.

To me Alien was different. It was first science fiction then horror.
"Alien" laid the ground work & "Aliens" expanded on it using ideas from Hill & Giler.
But as science fiction the franchise stagnated with "Alien 3" & "Resurrection". While entertaining, 3 & 4 were mostly focused on Ripley as a loner which is what Sigourney wanted.
The development of what the xenomorphs were was limited in 3 & 4. They could walk like a dog. They could swim. Not much there. Nothing about the Space Jockeys.

In space travel science fiction franchises, information about important alien species is expanded over time.
The Alien prequels did this with the Space Jockeys and xenomorphs as well as adding other related creatures.
Space travel science fiction adds new, unusual planets which were in the prequels.

As science fiction "Prometheus" and "Covenant" added a lot to the Alien Universe.
And I enjoyed that.

;)

Kradan

Kradan

Haven't found any applause gif that doesn't seem as mocking. So i just say: i like your way of thinking!

Oh no, these look like appropriate

bb-15

Quote from: Kradan on May 08, 2019, 01:37:02 PM
Haven't found any applause gif that doesn't seem as mocking. So i just say: i like your way of thinking!

Oh no, these look like appropriate

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/20/2e/fd/202efdb874dbdccb242673235955c536.gif

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d1/9b/c0/d19bc09411bf8901bcfd15771363be4a.gif

I appreciate that.
Looking at those clips from "AC", I'm looking behind David/Walter to the drawings of insects & a humanoid form. It gives the idea that David was creating hybrid creatures. (The concept is also in "Jurassic Park" with dinosaur DNA being mixed with frog DNA.)

;)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Gash on Apr 26, 2019, 01:15:54 PM
Was it the prequels that brought you into the franchise?

It's kind of an interesting idea I hadn't considered, similar to Star Wars fans who became fans because of the prequel trilogy (or now, 20 years later, people who may be becoming Star Wars fans because of the sequel trilogy) and how their outlook on what Star Wars "means to them" is different because of it.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 20, 2019, 06:55:40 AM
Quote from: Gash on Apr 26, 2019, 01:15:54 PM
Was it the prequels that brought you into the franchise?

It's kind of an interesting idea I hadn't considered, similar to Star Wars fans who became fans because of the prequel trilogy (or now, 20 years later, people who may be becoming Star Wars fans because of the sequel trilogy) and how their outlook on what Star Wars "means to them" is different because of it.

Side note here, EP 1 is the only Star Wars movie I can actually sit through without turning it off. I do fall asleep sometimes though. But I was born late 80's so SW wasn't really of any interest as a kid, Ep 1 was the only time I've had any enthusiasm at all - even at the time it was mostly for the creature/vehicle/robot designs and I pretty quickly aged out of Ep 1s target age demo so it was a brief phase - but I can definitely believe there's a lot of people a couple of years younger than me who stuck with the prequels and consider that to be "their" SW.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 24, 2019, 09:10:44 PM
Side note here, EP 1 is the only Star Wars movie I can actually sit through without turning it off.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed