Did you feel Alien Universe better before Prometheus?

Started by Drukathi, Mar 24, 2019, 11:08:41 AM

Did you feel?

Yes.
41 (47.7%)
No.
45 (52.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author
Did you feel Alien Universe better before Prometheus? (Read 33,446 times)

Perfect-Organism

Where can one find this expanse?

The Old One

The Old One

Amazon Prime soon enough.

Corporal Hicks

Season 1 to 3 are already on there. 4 is coming out at the end of the year. I've read the first 2 books as well and they're fantastic as well.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 07, 2019, 12:57:57 PM
Just remember who asked me to open this door.  ;D

The Mohs Scale of Science Fiction Hardness
https://www.wired.com/beyond-the-beyond/2017/11/mohs-scale-science-fiction-hardness/

Thank you!  :)

Prometheus has one of its pretentious feet here...

Quote1. Science in Genre Only: The work is unambiguously set in the literary genre of Science Fiction, but scientific it is not. Applied Phlebotinum is the rule of the day, often of the Nonsensoleum kind, Green Rocks gain New Powers as the Plot Demands, and both Bellisario's Maxim and the MST3K Mantra apply. Works like Futurama, Star Wars, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, The DC and Marvel universes,note and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fall in this class.

and its other foot right here...

Quote4. One Big Lie: Authors of works in this class invent one (or, at most, a very few) counterfactual physical laws and writes a story that explores the implications of these principles.

Stitch

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 07, 2019, 08:31:41 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 06, 2019, 08:36:37 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 06, 2019, 08:08:41 PM

If you can't accept the leap of FTL, then you can't have a hard sci-fi story about exploring another planet (with people rather than robots).

That's exactly my understanding of what a purist interpretation of Hard Sci Fi is. I feel it's a very restrictive concept that often treads on the toes of fun storytelling, but that doesn't mean we change the definition, it means we use a different term for the Alien movies.

If Alien were hard science fiction, the Nostromo found deadly microbes on Mars or Europa. Everyone got sick and died but there was a survivor at the end. So I agree. It's a very restrictive concept, and I'm glad that the Alien series is not hard science fiction  ;D
Microbes on Mars or Europa would not be adapted to attack Earth life, and thus would be unlikely to infect anyone.

SiL

Or would do unimaginable damage.

Until we meet alien life we don't actually know which way it would roll. It likely wouldn't affect us the same was as say a native martian organism, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't affect us.

Immortan Jonesy

Yeah, but also our immune system has evolved to fight Earth microorganisms, instead of aliens. So, who knows.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed, it's the great unknown.

kwisatz

Thus the helmets.

The Old One

The Old One

SJ Helmet?

RidleyScott99

No. Prometheus is my favorite Alien movie.

Gr33n M4n

I just wish that Ridley Scott would've stuck with the original script relating to the Engineer.

Huggs

I still need to read that one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed