Started by Kradan, Mar 23, 2019, 01:21:22 PM

Author
Gestation theory. (Read 3,488 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Anticipation of the inevitable.

Master

Master

I have watched this poor movie once but was under impression that the guy who bursted on board of Covenant was actually impregnated be David, not by quick facehugging. Instant impregnation is as stupid as instant gestation. Instant Aliens are bullshit.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Master on Mar 24, 2019, 09:14:16 PM
Instant impregnation is as stupid as instant gestation. Instant Aliens are bullshit.

Agreed.

The Old One

The Old One

Reactionary.

Instant impregnation isn't B.S.
And instant gestation isn't present.

https://tinyurl.com/DiscussedAlienImpregnation

SiL

SiL

Counterpoint, it is bullshit.

The Old One

The Old One

Counterpoint, no it's a enhancement.

It allowed for The Cold Forge?  Good enough, regardless of the prequels.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 24, 2019, 04:33:42 PM
Quote from: Highland on Mar 24, 2019, 09:28:32 AM
Lope's impregnation pissed me off more than anything.

Also longer gestation times make it scarier.

How?

It's just creepier and way more Alien. I mean I get that people are justifying the times, but honestly the simple answer is that the movies just suck at that element now or expect you to already know.

Every original Alien film - including Rez worked the plot around something getting implanted - a bit of time - birth - a bit of time - carnage. That's the formula. It creates more suspense and is generally just disturbing.

The back burster in Covenant sort of sticks loosely to this ( and is the best part of the movie), he get's infected, we know it's bad news, bad things happen, the little bugger clearly isn't fully grown but is ready to rumble. I'd argue that's even borderline too fast.

The Alien is shoe horned in that movie so hard it hurts the film. It goes from 0 to 150mph within two scenes - twice. Once on the ground and once on the ship.

It's rubbish really. It's awesome spooky film with a fan made ending.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 24, 2019, 10:04:28 PM
Counterpoint, it's a shit retcon for storytellers who need to change established concepts to suit their stories, rather than the other way around.

The Old One

The Old One

The Alien's method of gestation wasn't established. (TCF)
Impregnation time wasn't (instant now) and incubation time was.
(Alien, Aliens, AlienĀ³ & the prequels; consistent.)

Contortion of the audience's perception is OK, in my opinion.
The idea isn't the fault. The execution, (AVP) is.

SiL

SiL

I don't think the idea's ever been well-executed so it's looking like the concept's the issue from where I'm sitting.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: SiL on Mar 25, 2019, 09:47:24 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Mar 24, 2019, 10:04:28 PM
Counterpoint, it's a shit retcon for storytellers who need to change established concepts to suit their stories, rather than the other way around.
What SiL said.

The Old One

The Old One

Question; the gestation and incubation's consistent- OK, nobody (presently) disagrees.

Impregnation's a contention though?
Ok.
Spoiler
I don't know why tbh
[close]

PredBabe

PredBabe

Edit: never mind I misread the posts I initially quoted lol

But the gestation period for the queen embryo in Alien 3 seems excessively longer than any of the others we've seen. From the point where Ripley is facehugged onto a week when the company makes it to the prison. I guess you can argue that it is a Queen embryo growing inside her but still, its size is no different from previous chestbursters.

Samhain13

Samhain13

The narrative demanded Ripley's gestation to last longer. Same reason to when the opposite happens.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 25, 2019, 06:48:39 PM
The narrative demanded Ripley's gestation to last longer. Same reason to when the opposite happens.

Ah yes, which I get the impression that more people get worked up when it is the opposite (faster gestation period).

At any rate, I think the idea of the "dosage" may be accurate. The longer the facehugger is on someone, the less time it would take for the embryo incubation.

Though I also think Kradan's onto something in regards to the chestburster knowing when to burst out of its host. Isn't it theorized that Kane's son has a bit of Kane in him (like Lambert's death supposedly being sexual because Kane and Lambert had a thing for each other). Perhaps the longer the embryo is inside its victim the more it becomes a part of them. It reads their body language. Like a human embryo can hear outside their mom's womb so too can a chestburster with its host's surroundings.

I also speculate that, when the host is in an actual hive area (surrounded by eggs and all that alien gunk and mist), the gestation period is sped up. Oram was surrounded by the eggs if memory serves me right.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed