Is it just me or does Alien, Predator and Terminator all have the same problem?

Started by SuperiorIronman, Mar 14, 2019, 03:21:18 AM

Author
Is it just me or does Alien, Predator and Terminator all have the same problem? (Read 608 times)

SuperiorIronman

Now I don't want to post about trashing movies because functionally speaking they all work and that deserves my posting in the appropriate sub-forums. But then I got to thinking about it tonight and I realized that they all suffer from the same problem. While in narrative and overall story they are different given their respective franchises, I couldn't help but notice that in the small period these films would be developed and released that they all share the same structural flaws.

The Predator suffers from structural problems inherent to two other films (Terminator:Genisys, and Alien:Covenant)that they (Fox) produced at the same time. Seriously, it's a real world example of the "can I copy your homework" meme.

-A group or person genetically engineers a monster to fight our heroes.
Skynet turns John Connor into a Terminator, David creates the proto-morph, the Yaujta create Upgrade
-A doppleganger of the villain fights said villain
T-800 fights John, Walter fights David, and Upgrade fights Fugitive
-The villain's plan succeeds in a sort of roundabout way
A T-800 does sort of eventually kill John, David takes Walter's place to engineer better Aliens, and Fugitive delivers the Predator Killer
-The heroes realize a "war" is brewing and have to find a way to stop it setting up a sequel.
Future war, the later Alien movies, the invasion of Earth

Meaning that through the loss of money, critical reception, and fan outcry, they did this three times over with their heavy hitters. And whatever good we did end up with in The Predator, they altered it to ultimately include the structural weaknesses. This could very easily be a coincidence, but this is just so strange to be in all three of these films. Like was there some guy in the board room who really liked the plot-structure of Jurassic World and wanted it applied to all of their movies. Maybe this is just like Fusion reactions being everywhere in the 2000's but given that this is all in such a small time-frame its kind of weird it afflicted all three franchises and modified one of them to include it.

Predwars24

I literally mentioned the genetic thing in another thread which is hilarious. It really is a thing about writers not knowing what to do with a character. Instead of paying attention to the stuff in front of us they constantly tell us about things we're not there for and never will be, and they do the same generic thing. DC has this problem, Dark Universe (Universal Monsters aka The Mummy 2017) has this problem and Fant4stic has this problem, they all literally try to be marvel but they just can't do it right. (Also I really liked Jurassic World and Fallen Kingdom, so I guess Power to me)

Huggs

They all share one problem for certain.

There hasn't been an AVPVT film yet.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 15, 2019, 07:22:53 AM
They all share one problem for certain.

There hasn't been an AVPVT film yet.

As ridiculous as that is I would pay money to see that.

Predwars24

As long as it's not at all like the comic I'd be ok for an AVPVT. If they were to do it I'd also want no involvement in Time Travel though it could fix inconsistencies with the three franchises I'd still rather there not be Time Travel.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed